Multiple Model base

I was curious when I was browsing the forums and saw a reply reguarding the Imperial guard with multiple units on a base in the topic about space marine bikes firing multiple weapons even if wounded.

My question is this: Has anyone modeled their space marines or other PA armies to have oh perhaps 2-3+ models on a 60mm? or perhaps a 40mm base? Like a small diaorama. Now I am sure some nay-sayers will put their two cents in, but here me out. What if you already had the single models already created to be exactly like those on the big base and if one should take a wound, you would use the single models if one is removed from casualty. I have thought about it on both ends, where players can use it and remove models that aren't included on the big base, etc. This is just from a movement and shooting phase perspective, not from assault because I would swap out the large diaorama for the single models in that instance.

I am in the process of designing a few for me being the Ultramarine I am, hobbyist to see it through, and gamer to seeing it on the battlefield to give the perspective of wounded, close knit fighting, etc.

Thoughts?

I've never seen it used for Marines since we don't have multiwound models outside of attack bikes and HQs. I have seen it done for IG weapons teams. The gunner is affixed to the 60mm base, but the loader is on a 25mm and set into a cutout on the 60mm base. When the team takes a wound, the loader is removed. It doesn't affect the footprint of the 60mm base or the gameplay ability of the unit, but is a nice visual representation.

Yeah I've seen it with IG. I am working on a set for one within a 10man tactical representing just bolters for now since it might cause trouble depending on your opponent if you try to put other weapons in the mix. Of course I am still drawing the ideas on paper and then will do the model concept.

You could have two assault marines on a biker base wielding a stormbolter each to represent a bike in a jumper themed army.

Not quite what I was asking when I asked if anyone has used them. Im not looking for a counts-as, the I idea just shows a small diorama of marines in a neat scene showing themselves just as a group, so when one is wounded and remove you would replace them with the same marines individualized.

I guess besides the link I'll be one of the few with this type of modeling.

Archived