Conquer the universe! Pre-heresy space marines.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/tHEMANINCHARGE.jpg

oh my...your dorn is awesome...

when I see it my jaw fell down!

Your pre heresy works are very good :)

I cannot wait to see Dorn finished!!!

Thanks man, I have always wanted to do a pre-heresy army so I'll give it all I got :P

the damned artificer - mate where do I begin... You know what I think of your work ;)! I echo several other posters above in that he is the best Dorn I have ever seen!!!! I really like the parts you have used & the pose where the sword is at his feet, is simply wicked! I am not a huge fan of the pose where he has the huge bolter to hand but the first pict where he has his right arm by his side.... if he had a bolter in that hand or even the sword then he would look dominating!!!!!!

Great use of parts from him, how tall is he compared to your other dudes? I must say your own 'instructions' of parts & wher they came from was excellent! Very handy for knowing which model set they came from. Great tutorial :woot: . Can't wait to see Dorn all painted uop mate. I like the idea of your Dorn in the first pose with your Sigismund standing just adjacent to him. Would make for an excellent diorame :devil:. Keep up the great work matey :HS:

Thanks mate, I'll see about getting a scale shot for you, he stands around 2 heads taller than a normal marine :HQ:

Ohh yeah tah could be a great diorama, like having sigismund slightly in the front saying"you'll have to go through me first punk" :P

Okay so Monday I got my tartaros terminators, and I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the casts, not entirely up to the standard I am used to from fw.

I've played around with the kit and started building them, so here's the first pics. On this stage nothing is final, and everything could happen.

First here's a scale shot with them next to my primarch, Dorn is a really big boy ;)

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1822.jpg

Closeup of the sergeants shield, which is from Asterion Molok. I really didn't feel like removing the big minotaurs skull as it looks so good (the shield is one of the crispest cast parts I've seen from fw in my life, and there was virtually no cleanup! It is however not made with the new spin casting technique like the tartaros terminators and with the usual resin. It seems it's the spin cast technique that gives a lot of trouble, or maybe the finer grade of resin is more prone to bubbles)

The fluff for the giant minotaur skull will be something along the lines of this;

"The shield of Minos, currently residing in the personal armoury of Rogal Dorn, was presented to him as a gift from one of the noble houses of Terra, the house of Minos, upon his first visit to Terra after being reunited with his father. The shield is an ancient device depicting the head of a Minotaur as an ancient Terran legend tells of a mighty hero, son of gods, who defeated the beast and came to be the founder of a great city that would unite his people, the addition of an imperial aquila put the analogy of the legend in perspective with the great crusade, how mighty heroes fight the vicious beasts of the universe to build a kingdom of unity for all of humanity. The laurel is an ancient battle honour, and the personal emblem of the current holder is displayed amidst one at the bottom of the shield. The noble family felt a strong similarity between Dorn and the hero of the legend, and have so since bolstered the ranks of the VII legion with many fine young astartes recruits, and the house of Minos is one of the most stoic supporters of the imperial fists among all the noble houses of Terra. The shield is usually worn in combat by the highest ranking astartes descending from the house of Minos, decreed by Dorn as an honour to the house and their dedication to support the VIIth legion and the great crusade"

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1825.jpg

The second wip tartaros terminator. Also here's a look at some of the bubble problems in the casts, but they will be covered with detail and GS later on, also the crux terminatus wll be removed to keep in style with the pre-heresy feel.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1826.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1827.jpg

Even though I was slightly disapointed with the termies, I was more than happy that my expectations to the IF brass etch were met + some B)

I have been a fan of photo etched detail for many years now and they never disappoint, and fw have really made a gem in the IF etch! Especially all the very small icons at the bottom or the frame are great for adding small detail.

So to show an example here's what I did to finish the commanders shoulderpad:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/commanderpad.jpg

I have detailed elsewhere how I got to the first stage, after this I used the tip of my exacto blade to inscribe the circle to create the outer rim, then I added the cracks akin to the fw style icons and then finally I added the brass etch fist. I caan only encourage people to go and buy these fw brass etch kits as they are worth every penny!

A have noticed a few people who have the new FW termies have said they are not impressed with them cast-wise. I agree with Andrew J, Dorn is a nice size, not too small & not too big. I really like the pose he has with the Tartarus termies :lol: .

Outstanding work. I liked the fluff piece on the House of Minos and the Tartarus Termies look great next to Dorn.

Thanks :lol: I really love how greek and roman mythology is so easy to incorporate (more of) into 40k :) And yeah, I guess they do suit him don't they :P

Wow a scale shot of Dorn makes him look even better. Bigger but not too big. Love the new termies too. Keep it up!

Thanks man, nailing the scale was always my biggest concern as it makes or brakes how convincing the primarch looks imo.

That Dorn model just looks too good, can I nick it?

You can't nick my model no ;) But I won't stop you from making your own of the exact same parts :P

My ideas are free for use by anyone, I'm just glad to inspire :)

A have noticed a few people who have the new FW termies have said they are not impressed with them cast-wise. I agree with Andrew J, Dorn is a nice size, not too small & not too big. I really like the pose he has with the Tartarus termies :lol: .

Yeah I don't hope that it's a warning of what to expect from FW in the future, but it could be worse even though it's a step down for my favourite miniatures company. And thanks, it generally seems like I got him exactly the size most people like :) And yeah, the design of the tartaros is really rather good, and when I'm done pimping them out I'm sure I will get over having to do a bit of extra prep work:)

A quick update:

Tartaros terminators are shaping up nicely. I've used loads of brass etch parts on these to give them some detail, and they will all have shoulder decorations too.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1857copy.jpg

A wip techmarine/master of the forge, I am not sure if he'll be a part of this army, but he might end up being. The conersion beamer is based on the fw dreadnought siege hammer.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN1852copy.jpg

I'd greatly appreciate some input on these, especially the MotF :tu:

The terminators look quite nice. To be honest I wasn't too impressed with these when they first came out, but I like how you've done them.

And that conversion beamer, wow. Can't say anything about that. Just looks so cool. Is the core of that the dreadnought siege hammer from forge world?

Magnificent :cuss

Ludovic

Thanks mate :cuss

MoTF Looks great, thats one of the funkiest conversion beamers ive seen, and it doesn't look too big either.

Thanks, I originally had it planned for a shoulder mount for the backpack but put it on hold for a while. Then the fw one came out (Valthrax) and I decided after a long time that that simply wouldn't cut it for my version so I came up with this after seeing others making under-slung/hand held versions and decided it would work much better.

The terminators look quite nice. To be honest I wasn't too impressed with these when they first came out, but I like how you've done them.

And that conversion beamer, wow. Can't say anything about that. Just looks so cool. Is the core of that the dreadnought siege hammer from forge world?

Well I had to do something about them as I wasn't to impressed with them when they arrived, but after working with them they are growing on me again and I really do like their design :) And thanks mate, yes it is the seismic hammer form fw with the eagle removed :)

The brass etch really makes the tartarus pattern Termies look a lot better. They are rather plain normally. But that might be by design from FW so they go with everyone. Also I guess some people like plain, but I love pimped out characters, especially termies. Cant wait to see them all painted up and finished!

Excellent work as usual. The Dorn model is perfectly in scale with the marines in my opinion. I love the bitz you have used on him, a perfect choice all around. My only suggestion would be for you to use one of the Tartaros power fists on him. I think that they look a little more substantial than the power armored version you currently have on him. That is just a matter of personal taste of course but I feel that it would fit a little closer to the scale you have achieved with him. I also think that the chest plate with the wing over the side is pure genius. Please keep posting your amazing work, I find it very inspirational.

The brass etch really makes the tartarus pattern Termies look a lot better. They are rather plain normally. But that might be by design from FW so they go with everyone. Also I guess some people like plain, but I love pimped out characters, especially termies. Cant wait to see them all painted up and finished!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's exactly why they have made them so plain :P Just like the other armour patterns from fw ;) I too have a love for pimped out characters so I'll be looking forward to painting them :yes:

Excellent work as usual. The Dorn model is perfectly in scale with the marines in my opinion. I love the bitz you have used on him, a perfect choice all around. My only suggestion would be for you to use one of the Tartaros power fists on him. I think that they look a little more substantial than the power armored version you currently have on him. That is just a matter of personal taste of course but I feel that it would fit a little closer to the scale you have achieved with him. I also think that the chest plate with the wing over the side is pure genius. Please keep posting your amazing work, I find it very inspirational.

Thanks man :) I was actually thinking of pimpin' out his powerfist with some eagle wings and icons to beef it out a bit, but the main thing is I don't want it to look too big either :)

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a small update.

First off is a bit of progress on the big guy in charge, Dorn has got a sword! I decided to go with a blade as that is ultimately one of my favourite weapons and I'm actually not too big a fan of chainswords to be honest..

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/RD.jpg

I've also gotten the replacement legs for the mispackaged ones from FW and they threw in an extra frame of arms so I could build the guy I had left over as it took them almost 5 weeks to get me the replacements. So I decided to build a chaplain, and added quite a handful of extra bits.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/TERMICHAPLAIN.jpg

I've also been lucky enough to test out the awesome fast curing silicone products from Lamenter, sold over at http://masteroftheforge.com/ and it is some fantastic products! I used the liquid blu stuff, a fast setting 2 parts silicone rubber that cures in only 20 minutes!! This is a real time saver and is great for fast replication of your custom built parts :D

I used it to cast my scratch built shoulder pads for my cataphractii terminators, as it would have taken me ages to build pads for them all, and I have the option of adding more termies in the future (maybe some guest appearances from other legions, I have a few planned at least)

I'll have a ful review of the liquid blu stuff and also the fast setting silicone putty, blu stuff, up soon. I just need to test the blu stuff moulds of my custom built leather straps for the termies shoulders, which will be moulded in green stuff for maximum flexibility :)

Anyways, here's the termies as they look now.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2112copy.jpg

I also had the time to fiddle around with some more veterans, but they are still very WIP.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee354/SteffenSJensen/Pre-heresy%20Imperial%20Fists/DSCN2127copy.jpg

That's all for now :)

One little nagging detail about your recent WIP shots artificer: The Ivanus Enkomi powerfist you've used has chain work holding the rosarius pendant is currently defying gravity in the static pose this marine is in. Are you going to shave that detail off, or resculpt it or? I cannot think of any reason that chain would be swinging in that direction. Great looking model otherwise, like I said- just a small nagging detail.

One little nagging detail about your recent WIP shots artificer: The Ivanus Enkomi powerfist you've used has chain work holding the rosarius pendant is currently defying gravity in the static pose this marine is in. Are you going to shave that detail off, or resculpt it or? I cannot think of any reason that chain would be swinging in that direction. Great looking model otherwise, like I said- just a small nagging detail.

Well I actually thought of his motion as him having just put his foot on the raised plateau to steady his shot in a slight swing to meet his opponent all the while lifting the powerfist from its dormant position into a clenched fist, which then made the chain pull backwards all the while the gravitational pull of the powerfist being pulled would suck the cape into the motion and drag it softly along the same direction as the fist is pulled which would explain why it is not (yet) flowing backwards from the motion as the kinetic energy briefly transferred into the cape have not yet abated ;) At least that's my explanation, and I'm sticking to it so I can keep the nice and crisp detail of the chain :D

I think your army is several of my hobby dreams come true.

I must now find the werewithal and skill to trump you...somehow...

Thanks :D I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with then, a little healthy competition never hurt :P

That Chaplain looks menacing. And I really like the terminators you have there as well. Especially fond of the pads.

I really like your veterans as well, though I can't place the parts of the first one. Look mostly MKIII from what I can see but I don't know about the shoulder right shoulder pad and the brestplate. Still, on the right track as always and Dorn is shaping up nicely.

That Chaplain looks menacing. And I really like the terminators you have there as well. Especially fond of the pads.

I really like your veterans as well, though I can't place the parts of the first one. Look mostly MKIII from what I can see but I don't know about the shoulder right shoulder pad and the brestplate. Still, on the right track as always and Dorn is shaping up nicely.

I assume you mean the cataphractii termies pads ?? :P And thanks mate ;)

The first veteran is made from the body from the rapier laser destroyer, which have the torso attached, and the shoulder pad is from severin loths honourguard :D

@The damned artificer: that explanation works for me. Keep up the good work

Awesome :P And thanks :D

Archived