Army Building Vs. Painting Your Favorites.

MeatGrinder

So we all know money is pretty tight for all of us, and this hobby isn't cheap. So my question to you is: Would you spend money on a model you would love to paint and convert that was not for the army you are building, or would you stick to what could be considered productive for your army?

For example, I saw an awesome conversion here of the plastic nurgle champion into a chaos marine, and since I saw it, I've been dying to do it myself. Only problem is, I really need that extra box of grey hunters. I can't afford both, so I have to choose between the Grey Hunters, that I will enjoy painting and building ofcourse, and the chaos marine for an army I don't collect, but I will very much enjoy converting and painting.

Your thoughts?

It really depends on the situation. IF you "need" the Grey hunters to play your army at a specific event, and you want to attend that event, prioritize that. IF the Grey hunters are simply a tweak you want to make to an existing list, or you are not planning for a specific event, then buy what you are interested in doing hobby work on.

I have several models for armies I don't play - just because I wanted the model for another project.

My Necron monolith - bought just so that I could light it up.

My Tau skyray. Same reason. Engines, cockpit and sensors in turret light up.

I always purposely force myself to stick to just 'functional' miniatures. This is completely personal preference because I know I have enough distraction within my chosen army. If I considered something outside of the force I'm putting together, I'd never get anything done! :P Besides, Chaos gives me enough opportunity to explore all sorts of unique subject matter.

Archived