New Paints

henrywalker

That depends entirely on what colours you intend to use on the things you're going to paint …

My advice: don't start out wanting to buy a certain number of paints, but decide which kinds of colours you'll to need and then buy those. If you find you lack a colour, go and buy that when the need arises.

I meant for a all comer set up really, i was really asking what people think the most useful paints are. For example white is very useful especially compared to pink.

30 was a vaue guess in order to limit things. obviously if i could would buy one of everything

If I was starting out all over again only using Citadel Paints (while I still have the Citdadel line, I use P3 and Vallejo Air primarily now) I would get the following to start off. You should be able to mix any of the below colours to suit your needs

Foundations:

Adeptus Battlegrey

Mechrite Red

Astronomicon Grey

Charadon Granite

Washes:

Badab Black

Devlan Mud

Gryphonne Sepia

Leviathan Purple

Paint:

Bleached Bone

Snakebite Leather

Graveyard Earth

Chaos Black

Skull White

Regal Blue

Enchanted Blue

Golden Yellow

Red Gore

Blood Red

Dark Angels Green

Scorpion Green

Scorched Brown

Bestial Brown

Shining Gold

Boltgun Metal

Mithril Silver

I meant for a all comer set up really, i was really asking what people think the most useful paints are.

Aha. In that case, I'd say go for black, white, one or two greys, all the primary colours and a few metallics. Then start thinking about the colours needed for the things you're actually going to paint.

For example white is very useful especially compared to pink.

You sure about that?

obviously if i could would buy one of everything

That would probably result in half the bottles you bought never even being opened. Much better to taylor your paint selection to your needs than just go for one of everything.

Well, here's what I would do. Get 3 shades for every primary/secondary color, as well as brown.

Examples:

I) Red

--1) Scab Red

--2) Red Gore

--3) Blood Red

II) Blue

--1) Midnight Blue

--2) Regal Blue

--3) Ultramarine Blue

III) Brown

--1) Scorched Brown

--2) Bestial Brown

--3) Snakebite Leather

You want solid deviation between the colors so that you can perform good higlighting. Don't worry too much about Tertiary colors since you'll be able to drybrush or blend for those color effects. (And they don't come up that often unless you have something specific in mind...In which case buy the proper paint for it)

Foundation paints are nice, but not required. Painters survived for a while without those. Any subtle hues you need you can obtain by mixing in your neutrals: Black, grey, and white. Make sure you have at least Skull White and Chaos Black. Codex Grey can make your life easier, but it's not essential.

EDIT:

A last note on purple. Purple is one of those colors that you can easily avoid using by just not choosing to use it. However, if you intend to use purple you'll want an interesting range of colors. Scab Red, Scorched Brown, Tentacle Pink, Blazing Orange and many others can be mixed, blended, drybrushed, for amazing effect. Be warned though, Purple is considered by many painters to be the biggest pain in the derriere to master. Check out some of the threads on CoolMiniOrNot to get an idea of what I mean.

Archived