All Hallows Guard

Alpha PTP

Here is another model I have been working on off and on. He'll be a veteran sergeant for a new tactical squad I'll paint up at some point in the future.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/VeteranSergeantWIP1.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/VeteranSergeantWIP2.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/VeteranSergeantWIP3.png

@Lorenzen: I'm using a cellphone camera because my mother took the good camera out of town with her, so the pictures are a little blurry in some spots (like the veteran sergeants head.) I got the waves to go away, which I care more about that a little blurry part.

@Watcher in the Dark: Thanks. I've always prefered a crisp and clean painting style than a realistic and grungy style. I respect anyone who can paint that well, though.

@Dark Apostle Thirst: Steal away! He was just an afternoon spent converting. :lol:

Excellent work here - and a very nice color choice! I love the theme, a bit tongue-in-cheek, but done so well that it´s to be taken serious.

I know the syndrome of having stuff laying around for ages just to be picked up again in some inspired moment. Keep it up, the results are very promising!

Cheers!

I've actually never seen this army before, but by lord you are one talented S.O.B. Gallows is everything a Chaplain should be, and the army is unique and characterful enough that it's not surprising how easily it sticks in the mind of those who see it. I think that Sternguard's one of my favourite models, his simplicity and lack of OTT ornamentation like you sometimes get with Sternguard speaks volumes more of his badassery than all the bling in the world. I am so looking forward to the rest of the army, bravo sir.

Alpha, you're stuff does look awesome and seeing them in pictures don't do them justice. I think your sternguard marine would look cool with a little more to bulk him out a tad bit. Maybe add one of those little pouch sets to his waist? I'm glad you're starting up on them again, and it's fun to see the evolution of the chapter as a whole.

Alright guys. Not a huge update tonight. I'm really tired from work today, so I just finished up a few things and finally took some pictures of Gallows getting put back together.

I finished the aquilla on the dreadnought and basecoated the design on the base I am going for. Not sure if I am 100% sold on the checkers, but I think they look pretty cool.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP7.png

Here is where Gallows is currently at right now. I need to still do quite a bit to get him back up to snuff, but I have fixed a lot. All that is left is putting the dagger, rosarius, rivets around the head, legs, and shoulders, and fill in the exposed armor where Gallows has his arm spread out. The cloth also needs to be touched up.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsWIP1.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsWIP2.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsWIP3.png

Any ideas what I should put on the other shoulder?

@Olisredan: Thanks. Orange recipe:

- Black primer

- Any medium gray paint. I recommend Astronomicon Grey (GW) or Cold Grey (Vallejo.)

- Vermin Brown (GW) basecoat. Whatever grey you chose makes painting the Vermin Brown on bearable.

- 1:1 Vermin Brown and Hot Orange (Vallejo.)

- Hot Orange.

- Orange Fire (Vallejo) highlights.

- On highly detailed areas like aquillas, I do a thin wash in the darker areas with Devlan Mud (GW.)

@Dark Apostle Thirst: Haha. I know. I was just yanking your chain, mate.

@warflag: Thanks! The army started out as a really cartoony and gimmicky army as you can see from the first model of the first picture of the thread. As I have 'matured' so has the AHG. I feel as if I was very successful in making a gimmicky army into a plausible one in the 40k universe. Also, keep painting your stuff. You're a great painter with a really cool army, and you better finish it. :lol:

@Dark Link: I've also been around on the boards for five years longer than you have. You have to remember, I stopped painting these guys in around 2008-ish. Its no surprise that you've never seen them. :D Thank you for the compliments. The army has come a long way. Gallows is pretty much the prime and joy of all of my marine models that I have ever built. I'm actually working on a librarian (no name yet) to try and be as epic as he is. That is a pretty big pair of shoes to fill, tbh. I've always thought of the Sternguard of just being marines +1, not the most veteran veterans that have ever veteraned. I love highly detailed models, but do you really need to lug around all of that junk? :P

@zenfarr: Ah yes. You're the only person on the board who has had the pleasure to meet the Guard face-to-face. I'm trying to do my best with making the pictures better, but they are not playing fair. I'm slowly getting better and better with model photography, but considering I am using a cell phone camera, two desk lamps, and a blue gradient piece of paper, I'd say I am doing pretty well. Like I just said to Dark Link, I want to keep the Sternguard simple. Also, I prefer my marines more anime style (sleaker excluding things like power fists, ect) as you well know. :)

Not sure if there will be an update tomorrow, but I know there will be one by friday.

@Dark Link: I've also been around on the boards for five years longer than you have. You have to remember, I stopped painting these guys in around 2008-ish. Its no surprise that you've never seen them. :o Thank you for the compliments. The army has come a long way. Gallows is pretty much the prime and joy of all of my marine models that I have ever built. I'm actually working on a librarian (no name yet) to try and be as epic as he is. That is a pretty big pair of shoes to fill, tbh. I've always thought of the Sternguard of just being marines +1, not the most veteran veterans that have ever veteraned. I love highly detailed models, but do you really need to lug around all of that junk? ^_^

My mistake, I didn't bother to check when you stopped painting them, my bad :) I eagerly anticipate the librarian, and that's always been my stance on Sternguard as well. They're elite soldiers, but at the end of the day they're just soldiers. They don't need to be covered in laurel wreaths and aquilas and purity seals, they show their faith in the Emperor with a boltgun. I really think that when it comes to Sternguard, less is more, and you've exemplified that beautifully with this Marine.

Mediocre update tonight. I finished the checkers, most of the combat arm, and did the skulls around the body. No more work has been done on Gallows, veteran sergeant, or sternguard yet. They will have their turn soon enough.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP8.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP9.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP10.png

@Biohazard: Thanks for the warm welcome home! ^_^

@Dark Link: Yeah. I'm a relativly old member on here. :) Show me some pics of your stuff sometime. I'd like to see what you've done if we have both have the same taste in style.

@Master Chaplain Astador: Thanks. How on earth can you paint that much fantasy? I did four clan rats and wanted to jump off a bridge. I love the combat system of fantasy, but 40k and power armor are more appealing obviously. Can't wait to see what you have coming up! :P

@Master Chaplain Astador: Thanks. How on earth can you paint that much fantasy? I did four clan rats and wanted to jump off a bridge. I love the combat system of fantasy, but 40k and power armor are more appealing obviously. Can't wait to see what you have coming up! :)

Trick is it's mostly primed, not painted! ^_^

It's a slow process of painting! I wanna do some Scythes of the Emperor soon though.

Love the updates Alpha PTP! I like the tiles, they look awesome!! I am naff at doing chequers which is part erason why I started & finished a Lamenters squad all in the space of an evening. I like the dread, the black is nice but I most impressed with just how clean & subtle the highlights are around the edges! Very nicely done.

The ornage is also nicely done, especially around the aquilla on its chest, very nice contrast of black and orange! This beast is certainly shaping up very very nicely IMO :)

As for the Gallows dude, he is extra impressive! I like how you have used the GS on him, especially as it musst be really fiddlely to do. Bizzarely my fave part on him is the left hand, I like how you have crafetd a smallish extra bit of armour on the back of his hand.

The dreadnought is now named Tantarian. Anywho.

Well, I got some good news and I got some bad news...

I was debating rebasing the dreadnought because the PVA'd glue gravel was coming off. I scraped off all of the gravel and put super glue instead. I've been super gluing my gravel on for quite some time and I have never had this happen before. The dirt from the gravel when I dumped it in it has literally stained the black and orange. I tried washing it off with a brush, but to no avail. I now have to repaint his legs for the second time. The feet and the legs are what were damaged the most.

This is two hours of painting worth of work at least, which is time that could be spent working on the sternguard or Gallows. The rest of him is done otherwise, but this was a huge screw up on my part and I am hitting myself for it. I hope that the ends justify the means because I hate having my basing material fall off while I am playing a game. At some point I need to go and do the whole army, but that won't happen for quite some time.

I worked on Gallows and the librarian some more. Not a ton of progress, but Gallows now has his dagger and rosarius back. I just need to sculpt the chain, the armor between the arm and torso, and figure out what to do with the other shoulder pad.

I picked up two extra eight hour shifts at work, so I am going to be busy until Wednesday night. I won't have a chance to post updates that are actually major progress until then.

Sorry for the long wait! :(

@Olisredan: Getting them even took so long, but I think the extra time put into the base has made the model even better. I was originally going to just paint the part metal, but that would look boring and plain.

@Master Chaplain Astador: Scythes of the Emperor have been, and will be, probably one of my favorite chapters for its name and originality. The fluff on the chapter is also pretty good. I worked on some SotE, but the project fell through because of school and lack of motivation to paint so much yellow. ;)

@Dorns padawan: Thanks for all of the praise! Like I have said before, Gallows is my pride and joy of all of my power armor (technically terminator armor) achievements. I actually just got the new GK Terminator box and I was thinking about using hands from the box on Gallows. It has hands in there that would fit the miniature, but I'm not sure if I like it all that much. I just think having different hands like the ones he does adds a little bit of character. I really dislike the right hand because of how it is shaped. I've tried my best with what I have got when it comes to that, but that is the best I could do at the time.

@Fracture: Thanks. To me that is like saying "Yeah, I love your girlfriend." I'm obviously not dating my models (or am I?) but you get the point. :P

@NightHunters: Thank you. He means a lot to me. He isn't WYSIWYG, but god dammit does he look bad ass. :lol:

Very nice stuff once again, elegant work, elegant color sheme, welcome back.

About the Dread and not beeing a fan of those aboundant damage-painting and scraps everywhere, I think a few of them could look cool on the drill arm. About the other arm, some Brown/orange/blue inking on the assault canon would give a fine heat impression. I write all this but I geuss you have not finished...

About the chappy, first of all its an excelent pose, very dynamic and intense ! But open hand is weird and will look even weirder when painted I' affraid. Have you though about a reversed dagger ? And something that would add to the dynamism could be some sort of sencer or rosaire hanging from the belt in a motion (movement effect, dunnow if I make myself clear, I apologise for the very approximative english).

DS

• 8 months later...
I'm actually in love with these.

Considering this thread has been dormant for exactly eight months, I would consider this a bit of threadromancy. :sweat:

Pretty much what is happening right now is a whole myriad of crap came up in my life where I lost the time to paint. It started when my old boss got fired, and I was being scheduled for 40 hours a week on top of having other obligations. My parents then end up telling me that they are getting a divorce, so I had to spend a little over a month sorting out and helping them pack all of their belongings so they could move to separate houses. I then decided to move from Leesburg, VA (45 minutes away from DC) out to San Diego, CA to start anew. I have been dying to paint for almost two and a half months now, but all of my painting supplies are on the other side of the country in storage.

In the meantime I have been working out, losing weight, and rock climbing because I don't have any of my painting stuff. I won't get any of it back until probably Christmas because I don't trust my mother to pack all of my stuff, so I would rather wait three months and pack it myself. When I do get my stuff back, I have a whole bunch of power armor projects in store. I will also be accepting commissions then.

In the meantime I have been working out, losing weight, and rock climbing because I don't have any of my painting stuff. I won't get any of it back until probably Christmas because I don't trust my mother to pack all of my stuff, so I would rather wait three months and pack it myself. When I do get my stuff back, I have a whole bunch of power armor projects in store. I will also be accepting commissions then.

It's good to keep busy when you cant work on models. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. I will say, I look forward to christmas time to see more stuff from you though!

Archived