Help with Colours

DemonReaper

Hi guys i havnt posted since sunday about the progress of my DW beacuse i was just not happy with the outcome, i know i am new to painting but being a bit of a perfectiionist i would have liked them to turn out better.

So i went to tesco brought some dettol and 2 squads of my deathwing are now bathing in it to start from scratch.

I personally think it was colours of the detials i didnt like... it just stood out to much from the armour and clashed and in my opinion it just looked horrible. i am happy with my armour colour i have no quams about that ( if you havnt read my post i about progress with deathwings then please look through this forum to see the picture i think it is on the second page :))

I would really like some advice so i could hopefully get painting again tonight,

can somone help me with, bolter colours, cheast eagles, trinkets, crux terminus, lightining claws, cables, exhaust vents.... the lot except armour really.

It might be a good idea to tell you that i am not very good at highlighting so could you bear that in mind lol... but PLEASE PLEASE, i need some real help here if i want to get a game before afghan.

Thanks all and i look forward to your reply's

Adam

P.S please feel free to upload pics of your details and explain about you methods and techniques.

Hi guys i havnt posted since sunday about the progress of my DW beacuse i was just not happy with the outcome, i know i am new to painting but being a bit of a perfectiionist i would have liked them to turn out better.

So i went to tesco brought some dettol and 2 squads of my deathwing are now bathing in it to start from scratch.

I personally think it was colours of the detials i didnt like... it just stood out to much from the armour and clashed and in my opinion it just looked horrible. i am happy with my armour colour i have no quams about that ( if you havnt read my post i about progress with deathwings then please look through this forum to see the picture i think it is on the second page :))

I would really like some advice so i could hopefully get painting again tonight,

can somone help me with, bolter colours, cheast eagles, trinkets, crux terminus, lightining claws, cables, exhaust vents.... the lot except armour really.

It might be a good idea to tell you that i am not very good at highlighting so could you bear that in mind lol... but PLEASE PLEASE, i need some real help here if i want to get a game before afghan.

Thanks all and i look forward to your reply's

Adam

P.S please feel free to upload pics of your details and explain about you methods and techniques.

You state that you're not very good at "highlighting", but what do you mean by that? Can you dry-brush? I'm going to assume that you can for the following advice.

The super-simplest approach to getting passable table-top quality details is a base color and a drybrush. Some of the items you listed, could be handled simply -

Bolter : paint the bolter housing in some primary color which compliments your armor color (I am currently painting Space Wolves, so I chose yellow for the housing). For Deathwing, maybe a drak green?

paint the mechanical parts black, and dry-brush with a metalic silver

Chest eagle : paint the entire eagle a dark brown. Dry-brush with a metalic gold

alternatively paint the eagle grey and dry-brush with white

Crux : Dark brown again, with either a very light brown or light grey dry-brush

all the others listed : medium grey with a metalic silver drybrush

I tend to try and keep it simple - Dark Angels green for the chest Eagles etc (to tie in with any non-Deathwing) and red for the leg details (where there are any) - to tie in with the shoulder-pad Deathwing symbols. You can then mute these down simply by adding a wash of Devlan Mud or Badab Black.

Lightning Claws can be done in boltgun silver and then just dry-brushed with an electric blue colour (I found while the silver was still not quite dry created a good effect). Crux terminus can be boltgun silver washed with badab black.

For the exhaust vents just use a heavy devlan mud wash.

As for bolters, I have done with a standard old-school boltgun metal with red casing - again all washed with badab black. I feel that the red adds a splash of colour...

I hope this helps...

yeh i can drybrush that how i have done my armour, i cant hardline highlight... well not very good anyway, i have only been painting a month so i shouldnt expect alot out of myself but i know i can do better if you know what i am saying.

DSWANIK - thanks for the advice mate, i think maybe the problem was i used snot green for my greens and blood red for my reds... that was straight over black basecost... i washed the greens with thraka green and reds with laviathan purple... GW said the puple would give me a deeper red. but like i said it just looked really really in your face it all clashed, or i thought it did anyway

SLIM - thats exactly the colour scheme i went before... so i really dunno mate. i know thats what colours deathwing should be but i found this the other day and would really like to know what you guys think, i would like my look to be quite like this

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j397/Demonikape/12.jpg

i know its plain but i think it all ties in well , nice stone coloured detials for terminator icons and leg icon, the bolt guns i dont have a bloody clue, but like you said there is green in it, which i really dont mind at all... but mine did not turn out like that mine looked dark in places and dingy... probobly the thraka wash.

please keep the advice coming brothers... it am taking everything on board

Thanks,

Adam

I used a very quick method to get an entire Deathwing force done in 2 weeks. I think the results are ok and provide a decent base that can always be touched up afterwards.

Undercoat black and the spray the whole model with Army Painter Bone spray.

Paint anything that isn't going to be bone with a layer of black

DA Green for the chest eagles and DA symbols

A dark red for the outline of the Crux and any other terminator symbols

Dark red for weapons casings or handles

Gold for some of the honourifics

The a layer of Devlan Mud over the whole thing.

As I say it's fast rather than pretty, but when you think 2 weeks for the whole army... Here's the command squad, I'd like to go back and touch them up and add highlighting around the DA green (Devlan Mud really doesn't do anything for it), darken the reds, and edge highlight the bone. But PA Dark Angels first!

DSCN0450.jpg

Well here's a very old picture of one of mine.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF0060.jpg

I actually tried to minimise the amount of red. I also tried to make the green very dark so that it provides contrast. The Deathwing emblem was painted deep red and I used gold and grey for the chest eagles and crux terminatus respectively.

Does that help?

There is that old saying that "Red and green should never be seen except on a Scottish Queen." They do tend to clash. Try to have your secondary color either red OR green as Gillyfish has done. I did one squad in Blood red and green:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/2ndofthe1st028.jpg

very garish. I moved to more neutral colors with my secondary color being DA green and changed my red to Red Gore over Scab Red.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Deathwing/nonus028.jpg

Red is only a minor player (outside of the DW decals) in this second picture, even the purity seals have mostly moved to T-hawk or purple

Try washing your reds with Badab instead of purple. It will produce a darker more subdued hue. Feel free to come back with a lick of red just on the raised bits that will catch the light.

Crux's are Boltgun with Badab black wash, but can be stone as well.

Stone icons are Shadow grey with SW grey drybrushed over with Badab black wash (Do a bit of vein with white or a dark grey and a very fine brush, I didnt and think they look okay.)

LCs are Boltgun with Blue wash over them... Sometimes with a LIGHT drybrush of mithryl silver,

An Enchanted blue base with SW grey and white drybrushes then blue washed is also a really easy effect. The blue wash will blend in the SW grey a little and will flouresce a bit on the white.

Closer and better lit (?)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Deathwing/Septius041.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Deathwing/Septius043.jpg

Hope that wasnt too much hijack.

wow... some really good replys there and exactly what i was talking about with the pictures to explain, brilliant, thank you.

Just a quick one for anyone who is reading this and thinking of stripping models with dettol... WEAR GLOVES... took me 2 hours to strip 2 squads of termies and i can tell ya my hands look like 90 year olds and i honestly cant feel very much with them, i thought ow i will man up it will be ok (plus didnt have any rubber gloves HAHA) TRUST ME, WEAR GLOVES.

Gilly - i love yours mate... if you could put the tut on here that would be much appricaited it looks like you used dhenab stone?? but i love the armour. looking at yours i think mine clashed a little to much becuase of my armour being bleached bone?? wat do you think? as bone is yellow and the dhenab stone way is more chalky isnt it.

Let me know wat you think mate.

Dean - i like your aswell, i really do but on some models i wouldnt have put that much colour into them, i am not knocking yours, far from it, its just i would like to go the other way and go more of a nuetral deathwing, thats sort of the look i am going for. No no hijack :P thats fine pal :D

Louis - i LOVE that banner think it looks ace mate, but there is defonately a colour that in that squad wich ties them all together and i am leaning towards the black being it.

Please keep the tuts and explainations coming brothers they are all helping. At the moment i am seriously considering slightly changing my armour, if gilly used denhab stone i might go down that route beacuse i think that looks mega, but either way i am also thinking of changing from gryphonne sepia wash in my stage 3 to devland mud... hmmm not to sure yet.

Like i said thank you all so far for your input ;) and keep them tuts comin ;)

Thanks,

Adam

I've always believed that Green and red don't really belong on a DW terminator, especially not chest eagles and cables such as you often see.

This is what I'd personally do:

Bolter: black undercoat, drybrush the main body case of the weapon scab red, to give it that dirty and murky red look, and paint the magazine, the barrel(s), the top rail, the foresights and the siderail boltgun metal. I like to keep the pistol grip and trigger black. Wash with black ink

Chest eagles: either Silver, brass or gold, whichever floats your boat. I like to start off with black undercoat, then scorched brown, and then Tin Bitz, Dwarf Bronze and Brazen brass, burnished gold, and then shining gold. Wash with chesnut ink.

For bronze, leave it after the Dwarf Bronze or the Brazen brass, whichever you'd prefer to be the finished colour.

Silver is easier, Boltgun metal, the drybrush Chainmail, and a lighter drybrush (To the point of highlighting) Mithril Silver. wash with blue ink (a very watered down mix though)

Trinkets: See chest eagles, unless it's ammo pouches (I like to just do those scorched brown, chaos black or dark angels green) or Purity seals, in which case, black undercoat, scab red (and then blood red if you like)for the wax seal and whatever your method is for bleached bone for the parchment. wash with chestnut ink.

Crux: Either metallic or black and red and/or green details

Lightning claws: you can leave the glove the same colour as the armour or use the same method as the bolters and paint the blades metal with a very watery blue wash

Cables: Either metallic or black.

Vents: Either metallic or black.

As you can see from Gillyfish's picture, black joints provides a real strong contrast.

Archived