Army Painter Quickshade

Hail Brothers, I've been in the hobby for a few years now and have a mostly painted Ultramarines army, but every time I attempt to highlight it just doesn't seem to come out right. I've seen some examples ofy guys, models painted with Army Painter products and have been pretty impressed, especially by the results Quickshade seems to give. However, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the quickshade on models they painted using Citadel paints. Picture examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any feedback Brothers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully my reply will give this a bump.

I've been wondering about this as well. I use Devlan Mud for shading and it works great, but for almost $4 a pot it is extraordinarily expensive. I have considered brushing on the Army Painter quickshade and I'm curious how the two compare, since it is probably three or four times cheaper, volume for volume.

I have used Quickshade. It works great as long you practice a bit. I don't dip, I brush it on. I don't use the Army Painter stuff anymore though. 30 bucks is kind of expensive when you can buy a very large can of Minwax Polyshades for less than half the price. It is the same stuff. You will have to hit your fig with a matte sealer to knock down the gloss. The Army Painter website has some pretty good tutorials.

I might as well put my question on here too...

The quickshade obviously makes the mini go all shiny and you're supposed to use a matt varnish to bring it down, but say you were painting a Tyranid, or Daemon and wanted the skin to stay shiny but dull the armour/carapace/weapons, is there a matt varnish that can be brushed on so as to keep the shiny parts but dull the dull parts?

Archived