Fielding Asmodai?

Tengo

Hay there, I bought the awesome, if slightly... outdated model Dark Angel's master Interrogator-Chaplain Asmodai, now some of you will already know that the model comes armed with a crozius and also the blade of reason.

To those who aren't familiar with DA fluff, it looks like a Power sword, something you can't even give to chaplain, and if you could it would be pointless.

My question is, do I leave him with the sword which is central to his fluff, or do I get a razor saw and chop bits off so that I can have his awesome shoulder pad and whack on a storm bolter, which is what I intend to take chaplains with?

The model does have a holstered bolt pistol which means I could leave the model as it comes, and still be alright to be field a normal (interrogator)chaplain in terms of WYSIWYG

I am tempted to leave the sword, but I ditched his flagpole backpack (hated the design) in favour of the one from the veteran sprue, the one with the sword ontop (LINKY). I could easily paint the sword to be the blade of reason 'holstered' on the backpack, and have him brandishing a storm bolter, or do I leave the model to the awesome pose that it's meant to have, and just say that he has his storm bolter holstered on somewhere? (I could just stick it casually on his robes)

Ofcourse, if I do decided to leave the blade of reason as it comes, then I'll rip off the backpack and find a nice one to put a flagpole one.

Cheers in advance, this model is part of my LPC, so I need to get him finished soon!

The model is armed with his Crozius Arcanum and a power sword (and his rules used to reflect this). It is not a singular 'blade' of reason that chaplains use in their trade, but multiple blades. It is a small set of various kinds of blades that they use to help ply thr truths from their captives.

That said, it's up to you how you want to model him. As, like you've said, there's little to no point in the combination now.

That guy with poer sword and crozius is Saphon, the grand Chaplain or whatever he was called back in the day. The power sword its the symbol of his rank, one of the heavenly blades, those sword made from the block of obsidian the crashed with the Rock. Asmodai should have a Crozius and the Blades of Reason, depicted as a glove with blade-like fingers of doom. As far as I know, theres no model with Asmodai gear, just Saphon, but named Asmodai who knows why :cuss

the blade of reason.

To those who aren't familiar with DA fluff, it looks like a Power sword, something you can't even give to chaplain, and if you could it would be pointless.

Huh...I thought that item was plural, and was a set of torturors tools intended to "convince" a recalcitrant fallen brother to repent....

/edit/ Doh! How do you get ninja'd by a full 30 minutes???? Stupid interwebz!

The Blades of Reason is an ancient and horrific device that looks like a knife with many sharply-honed and polished blades. Etched into the blades are numerous extremely fine neural-wires which inflict agonising pain on any nerve fibres they cut through.

It's the Swiss Army Torturer's Knife.

The model is armed with his Crozius Arcanum and a power sword (and his rules used to reflect this). It is not a singular 'blade' of reason that chaplains use in their trade, but multiple blades. It is a small set of various kinds of blades that they use to help ply thr truths from their captives.

That said, it's up to you how you want to model him. As, like you've said, there's little to no point in the combination now.

Yes the model is armed with the Crozius and a power sword. No the original rules for Asmodai did not use to reflect this. Probably they marketed the miniature under the wrong name - they meant Sapphon (who had the power sword and the Crozius) instead of Asmodai (who had the Crozius as a weapon and the Blades of Reason as compulsory extra wargear). However it was possible and legal to arm Asmodai with a power sword as well (on top of the Crozius and the Blades of Reason) if you wanted to be consistent with the miniature -so GW got away with it. In 3rd they fixed Asmodai's wargear to conform with the mini's name and they eliminated Sapphon. And in 4th they eliminated Asmodai as well, just for fun. :)

That guy with poer sword and crozius is Saphon, the grand Chaplain or whatever he was called back in the day. The power sword its the symbol of his rank, one of the heavenly blades, those sword made from the block of obsidian the crashed with the Rock. Asmodai should have a Crozius and the Blades of Reason, depicted as a glove with blade-like fingers of doom. As far as I know, theres no model with Asmodai gear, just Saphon, but named Asmodai who knows why :)

Well, as I said above, this is correct in that the model was armed like Sapphon but was always marketed as Asmodai (who btw could be armed with a power sword as well). Hence we do not have a definitive version of how GW envisioned the Blades of Reason. But the helmet? OMG!!! The best Chaplain Helmet still to this day!

I don't know where you got the glove-like image. I always thought...

The Blades of Reason is an ancient and horrific device that looks like a knife with many sharply-honed and polished blades. Etched into the blades are numerous extremely fine neural-wires which inflict agonising pain on any nerve fibres they cut through.

...this!!!

EDIT: A small point: On p.15 of Codex: "Angels of Death" there is a short story in a grey box about Asmodai interrogating a Fallen. Inset is a piece of artwork by Mark Gibbons depicting an Interrogator Chaplain (who one assumes is Asmodai since the text is about him) holding a Crozius and... wait for it... A POWER SWORD!!! On a different note, GW sold t-shirts with this very picture on it, in color - and I still have it ;) :D :D

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/chaplain1.jpg

Awesome image. I've only ever seen the b/w version before ^_^.

On the original model question – I'd leave it as it is for the reasons you specified Tengo. One could argue the sword is indeed the Blades of Reason as no one really knows what it (they) look like. I'd always thought it was more dagger-sized myself, but nevermind – it's a cool model :tu:.

Cheers

I

I don't know where you got the glove-like image. I always thought...

Well... Me neither :tu:

Dont know why, but for me it always were some sort of glove-like thing... Gotta rethink my vision of Asmodai... I almost had all the parts to pull him out. Dammit!

Well... Me neither :)

Pity. It would have been cool if there was such an image or description somewhere...

Dont know why, but for me it always were some sort of glove-like thing... Gotta rethink my vision of Asmodai... I almost had all the parts to pull him out. Dammit!

Well, don't (rethink it that is ;) ).

An important change from 2nd to 3rd ed. in the description was that from "The Blades of Reason is an ancient and horrific device" was changed to "The Blades of Reason are ancient and horrific devices". So from a unique item it was transformed to an accessory that every Interrogator Chaplain could use/own. Given how GW generally treats these things I wouldn't be surprised to have them go down the power weapon way - i.e. it comes in many shapes and forms. Yes the original description implies the Swiss Army Knife configuration but my first impression was a large round saw blade or a large Shuriken with three holes in the middle just like a bowling ball -go figure! :)

Besides your vision gives a Haemonculus kind of aura to the Interoggator so that is a good thing in a torturer's line of business. :P Plus it surely gives added control to the use of the instrument.

I say go ahead and do it and post pictures when finished!

On the original model question – I'd leave it as it is for the reasons you specified Tengo. One could argue the sword is indeed the Blades of Reason as no one really knows what it (they) look like. I'd always thought it was more dagger-sized myself, but nevermind – it's a cool model :P.

Cheers

I

See that's the problem I'm having, I've read that the blades of reason are more dagger sized, and the sword on the veteran's backpack suits that alot more than the power sword that Asmodai comes with.

I'm tempted to leave it as is for familiarity reasons, but I think I'll probably end up lopping off that sword, and giving him something more useful.

It's the eternal question for hobbyists, to convert or not convert?

And I didn't mean to start a discussion on the fluff, I was mainly asking about how I should go about making the model game ready, but I always love reading opinions and forgotten facts about the Dark Angels fluff!

The power sword is not central to Asmodai's fluff, but you need not alter the model. There is no additional/altered effect because of it. It is essentially just for looks, and so need not be changed. Besides, that extra power sword may eventually be an option again, and this time around it may actually have a rules effect again too.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/ackool/chaplain1.jpg

Now this is a vague memory so take it with a pinch of salt, but I seem to recall reading in an old White Dwarf something about Jes' sculpt of Asmodai being based on this artwork. He didn't realise that the art of Asmodai didn't match the rules and so ended up creating the Power Sword model.

Awesome image. I've only ever seen the b/w version before ;).

OK I lied ;).... just found the colour image in the old Angels of Death Codex *slaps forehead*. It's been a long time since I picked that book up!

I have two versions; one intact, and with the other I lopped off the sword hand and originally armed him with a plasma pistol, but I have a feeling he has a combo melta now...

Anyway, that wasn't why I wanted to post. Does any one else remember a WD from at least 12 years ago that had a DA army featured on the back cover? Some great conversions using Ratskins to represent Plains World recruits, and also Bethor as a biker chaplain, but, also, Asmodai, the model we all know and love, with some Eldar Phoenix Lord weapon (Jan Zar sp?) to represent a tri-bladed frisbee of death.

Long and the short of it; this thing looked rad, so that's how I've always pictured the Blades of Reason! I'd post a picture up if I wasn't in the wrong country.

Well, I decided that the Asmodai/Saphon model won't be around for ever, and that I'd feel bad if it got put OOP and I had chopped up the only one I had.

The Storm Bolter/Crozius combo can wait until I get another Terminator IC

So thanks for all the replies, My Asmodai has now been fully assembled, as he came, minus the flagpole backback, instead of the backpack I linked to earlier, I opted for the one with the candle alcove in the middle(THIS ONE), and will be giving him a back banner with person heraldry, any ideas for inspiration folks?

And ofcourse, his base sports the helm of an incapacitated fallen angel!

I've started painting the model, I don't think it should take too long, I reckon the black highlights will take the longest, that and his back banner, this is my first proper attempt at freehand, but I'm going to use the very painstakingly long but seemingly affective way of dragging a bit of paint with a scribe/gouging tool, it allows for alot more control and accuracy than a paintbrush, but getting the paint onto the subject is hard work!

As the model is part of the LPC, expect pictures soon!

EDIT: Skink, I would really love to see that, it sounds really creative and original

I'll do my best to get an image up when I get back to the UK. Mods; would I be allowed to photograph my White Dwarf cover and post the photo?

Yep I don't see why not.

Archived