Black Primer suggestion (in USA)

Jofus

Surely Krylon Fusion is still available in black? It was when last I bought primer ... but that's been quite some time ago, since I fell out of the hobby for a year or two. Unless it's been discontinued, you ought to be able to find it at craft stores, or even Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

I will have to look for some of the Krylon, used their old black primer before and liked it. Since we are on the subject of Krylon does anyone know if they still make their matt clear coat? All I see now is a crystal coat and I don't know if this is the same thing or not.

Krylon Crystal Coat is gloss. For matte I haven't found anything better than Testors Dullcote.

As for primer I like Duplicolor sandable car primer. Cheap and good quality, available at auto part stores. Comes in black, white, dark grey, and brick red.

Well I answered my own question about their matt coat, they still sell it but looks like they have updated the can look so I may have seen a lack of it at my wal-mart because of the repackaging. Also picked up a can of Krylon's Black paint + primer to give a try.

Krylon Crystal Coat is gloss. For matte I haven't found anything better than Testors Dullcote.

As for primer I like Duplicolor sandable car primer. Cheap and good quality, available at auto part stores. Comes in black, white, dark grey, and brick red.

Boltergeist is on the money with Duplicolor. I've tried about 10 different brands of spray primer, and nothing comes close to Duplicolor for both quality and price. It goes on smooth, dries fast, and I have never had it flake or go orange peel on me.

Boltergeist is on the money with Duplicolor. I've tried about 10 different brands of spray primer, and nothing comes close to Duplicolor for both quality and price. It goes on smooth, dries fast, and I have never had it flake or go orange peel on me.

Amen! Duplicolor is the best primer I've ever used! A consistently good product at a very reasonable price. It is much cheaper than GW primer by far.

Rustoleum makes a line of automotive paints under the brand name Touch 'N Tone. Touch 'N Tone black primer is hands down the best I have ever used, much better than krylon (which is also pretty good). Goes on very thin, covers extremely well, and dries very fast. Their grey is amazing as well, comes out very similar in color to fortress grey. They make a white spray paint, but not a white primer unfortunately, as well as some other colors that I have not personally used. Best part is you can get these at Autozones for about $3 a can, usually cheaper than krylon.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/260083_front500.jpg

Rustoleum part# 254845 is the same paint with a different label

Archived