Paint stripping and magnets

schnarkie

I apologize in advance if this has been answered. Tried searching.

I have about a dozen models I am looking to repaint and it sounds like Simple Green is the answer. They are all magnetized and I was wondering if simple green damaged the magnets?

Didn't know if I should try and remove the magnets in advance. Probably just over cautious but with solutions that can remove paint I was wondering what it would do to a magnet. The paint was thinned down when applied so hopefully it will be easy to come off.

Thanks! I guess everybody has to have a first post. Long time lurker finally made a login.

First. Welcome to the B&C forums! Now then...

Simple Green will only effect paint. 'Super' glue (which I'm assuming you used to secure the magnets) will stay perfectly intact. I've used it on magnetized bits just fine.

If you've never used Simple Green, just be sure to give the miniatures a good, 24+ hours, soak time. As with the glue, it will have no effect on anything but the paint, even if soaked for days or even weeks. It does not 'melt' paint to remove it, but rather it 'gets under' the paint and lifts it off.

Non-toxic, smells ok, and actually really good as a day-to-day stubborn spot remover - crayon on walls, dried paint drips on floors, etc. Great stuff.

It won't effect the magnets themselves, but, it will still effect any joint that does not have a good bond to start. So plastic glue joints that didn't actually fuse the two parts together can be weakend, Super glue it's self will will not be dissolved but if it doesn;t have a clean bond the joint can be weakend. The simple green doesn't attack the materials but it does work it's way between the non perfectly bonded areas via capilary action and will work as a lubricant and wedge and may break what bond is there when you apply a bit of force such as srubbing or picking loose paint off.

The first rule I have for stripping is have no expectations of things coming through it perfectly plan for the thing to come apart that way you aren;t surprised if it does. This applies no matter what method is used to strip.

Archived