DISASTER, has struck!

Tengo

I could not bring myself to type up this topic, instead my bitter tears, so heavy with disappointment and grievance; descend upon my keyboard, guided by the Lacrima Animus they form this message into such a coherent format that it could be understood by its viewers.

As some of you will know I mail ordered the 'Asmodai' model from GW a few weeks back, and after a few delays I finally got it.

Well, after fretting around on the subject of whether or not to equip him with that power sword, I decided that I should, and that I also should just get on with him!

So glued, primed and at least halfway painted Asmodai was coming on a treat, that is until...

That Crozius Arcanum.

You know that Crozius right? that really awesome one, the one shaped like a hooded angel?

Well Citadel decided to cast the Asmodai model which I bought; with the rod between the head and handle of the Crozius arcanum, weaker than Britney Spears and K-Fed's marriage. (too soon?)

Needless to say;

The crozius snapped off.

After several superglue attempts, it remains separated.

I am now roaming the inner chambers, morbidly torturing the treacherous prisoners just to bring myself a sadistic sliver of happiness while I'm lost in this emotional dark cloud.

My Asmodai, was just a day away (if that) from being my first completed LPC model, and now he is in essence, ruined. I had just finished his robes (bar the skull white/Bleached bone highlight) and I was immensely happy with them and his helm was coming along very nicely.

I don't want to waste £8 to buy another Asmodai model, especially when I had come so far with the first, so does anyone have any tips to repair the first?

Super glue just isn't working, I let the glue dry for a day or two, and then I test the sturdiness of the adhesion, only for the crozius to snap right back off with the tiniest of force, and the layers of superglue crust are starting to ruin the chances of getting a good fit as well as ruining parts of the model itself.

I've had bad experience with using putty (green stuff) for adhesion purposes, it usually leaves a much more obvious sign of attempt than even superglue, but nonetheless, it was considered.

My only other consideration was drilling and pinning, but I think the rod might be too thin to survive what would be my first atttempt of drilling in the modelling world, ever.

So any brothers reckon they can help a poor, distressed Tengo, stuck at his wits end?

It would be much appreciated!

Sorry to hear about that Tengo, but pinning sounds like the way forward, reinforced with GS. It's not that hard - I've done it myself. You can order some very thin wire if you are worried about snapping or damaging it further. Use a small drill bit and aim to drill a hole in a central part of the shaft and the head. Clip the wire to length and drill further if needs be. Dry run it a few times and adjust it until you are happy then glue one end in place in the hole. You can let that dry and then glue the other end in place. Then let it dry.

If there is any gap, use a little green stuff to fill it (vaseline works very well if it sticks to the sculpting tool).

Just take your time.

Cheers for that brother, what size drill bit would you say I should use? 1mm looks like one of the smallest conventional size, and just so happens to be the only bit size GW makes their drill to fit, but I don't want it to be too large, obviously!

The crozius snapped off.

:eek ^_^ :P

OK, keep your cool, we will work this out!

Here's my radical idea: Throw the metal Crozius away. Forget about it! Just do a plastic one that would be (hopefully) easier to glue on. Use the rod from a Termie thunder hammer and the Dark Angel icon from the Veteran's sprue (you know the ones that are supposed to be the banner tops?) and you're done! Unoriginal? maybe. Will it save the day? damn right!

Hold the drill bit against the shaft of the weapon and see how big each is. If it's too big consider ordering some small drill bits and some fine copper wire from a hobby store. I did that last year so I could pin my techmarines servo arms - worked a treat.

This is the wire I bought: http://www.modelshop.co.uk/product/Copper_...5mm_50g_SW30053

And these are the drill bits: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q...0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

BUT, see whether your existing drill bits and a paperclip will do before spending the cash.

Fear not brother! A 1mm drill bit and a paperclip should work for you. I managed to fix my Termie Librarians staff that way and that was pretty thin.

And if that doesn't work, you could follow Sempers idea and get a plastic bit to use for the rod but use the original metal crozius head on the end and pin all that together - it will probably be thicker and pin together much easier. That way you don't lose Asmodai's unique Crozius. :lol:

Ive done this exact thong myself. So long as you drill centraly the gw bits are small enough. Just use a paperclip to reenforce then some gs to make it good as new.

I'd go with drill and pin too, but if it won’t work because the haft of the Crozius is too small then consider trying to drill a hole in the head/eagle of the weapon and pushing the haft into this (ie the haft is kind of like a pin itself). It means a slightly smaller overall weapon length but even a few mm into the head of the weapon will increase contact area and make it more likely the super glue will work.

I fill your loss Tengo,I had experienced something akin to that with one metal standard bearer.The pole had snap in half,but i just super glued it.How it doesnt stay in place in your case i can say i am puzzled.Id go with sempers method for simplicity's shake. After all those bits are everywere for us.

The only difference:Instead of using the TH id use the power mauls.After all they are not so...ingrained in the DA.

And, I dont know if you have any plastic spears, I advise you to try pinning something plastic first.

See how it works (obviously you need to drill a tad longer in white metal), and see how easy a 1 mm drill works with a small paperclip ;).

You could go another route: after using/wasting countless paperclips myself I went to a 'hardware' store and bought a few (dunno, 20/30 or so) meters of 0.9 mm thick wire. Could be 1 mm, even. Works like a charm, and I have always enough :D.

Pin it with a small piece of wire (hand side), slide a pastic or thin copper tube (go to the local railmodel store if you have any, and see what they got) over it, and pin the head of the weapon. Glue with superglue, obviously.

Good luck! :)

Alternative: try to make a lighter crozius by making the whole thing out of GS. No idea if you can pull that off, but who knows...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I forgot to update with my results

I ended up drilling a whole in the middle of Asmodai's fist, and in the centre of the Crozius' shaft, I shoved a small bit of greenstuff and a tiny bit of super glue in each hole, to really keep the pin snug and secure.

A small bit more superglue to keep the outer rim of the shaft adhered to the fist and some greenstuff to patch up the crevices and not only is Robert your mothers' brother, but Asmodai is repaired!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my plea for help!

And here's a picture of the little guy, for all those who took an interest

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/mercilesstengo/DSC_2651.jpg

The model itself is 100% complete (except the back unit) I just need to paint the back unit, and finish off his back banner, and secure them to the model.

Asmodai isn't attached to the base, I just need to put some sand/rocks on there and paint the base.

Overall, I'd say he's about 90% complete, which would bump me up a little bit in overall vow completion, I'd say I'm anywhere between 50-55% on my vow as a whole.

Whoa. That is one sick looking Asmodai model! I'm glad to hear you've been able to repair him and restore him to his glory. I chose to use a plasma pistol on my model in place of the sword to make him legal on the tabletop, but seeing yours makes me think of ordering another and building him properly.

Whoa. That is one sick looking Asmodai model! I'm glad to hear you've been able to repair him and restore him to his glory. I chose to use a plasma pistol on my model in place of the sword to make him legal on the tabletop, but seeing yours makes me think of ordering another and building him properly.

Thanks for the compliments brother! He has a pistol holster on his side, so there's nothing stopping me from giving him a plasma pistol in terms of WYSIWYG, other than the fact that that power sword is for visuals only. I was tempted to cut off the sword and give him a storm bolter, but I though I should respect the model, and leave it as is, and I'm glad I did.

Archived