Razor/lasback conversion

Greeting Brothers,

At the moment im using the age old "stick the forward facing twinlinked heavy bolter from a landraider on a rhino" as a standin for a dedicated razorback. now after finding two inbuild rhinos ina box in me "mancave" ive desided one should be made as a dedicated razorback but im not all thay keen on forking out for the conversion kits from forgeworld. yes there awesome and look the bizz but im a skinflint lol. what im tempted to do is take the spare las cannon wielding marines that i had build and have them braced and firing from out of the rhinos top hatch. just wondering if any one has done this before and how they managed it??

Thanks

I've never done this before, but I have seen it done, and considered how I would (will) do this kind of idea. I'd tackle it something like...

Build a 'box' out of sheet plastic that will sit inside the Rhino, and be attached to the inside ceiling. Try to keep the box slightly larger than the 'lip' of the hatch, to keep is as hidden as possible. Depending on how deep you make the box, you can have control of just how much Marine is exposed out of the top of the Rhino. If you take your time and do it right (and have some spare Rhino hatch doors) you can even make the Marines removable. That way you can close the hatch doors (Read: put your spare 'closed doors' on) when you want it to be a normal Rhino.

Since a Rhino as two fire-points, be sure that people understand that it is a 'counts-as' Razorback. This could be easily confused with passengers shooting from a normal Rhino's fire-points.

Greeting Brothers,

At the moment im using the age old "stick the forward facing twinlinked heavy bolter from a landraider on a rhino" as a standin for a dedicated razorback. now after finding two inbuild rhinos ina box in me "mancave" ive desided one should be made as a dedicated razorback but im not all thay keen on forking out for the conversion kits from forgeworld. yes there awesome and look the bizz but im a skinflint lol. what im tempted to do is take the spare las cannon wielding marines that i had build and have them braced and firing from out of the rhinos top hatch. just wondering if any one has done this before and how they managed it??

Thanks

I just want to point out that dedicated Razorbacks are kind of pointless. Neither the turret nore the top plate need to be glued down which means every RB kit does double duty and even a rhino kit by it's self comes with the RB/pred top plate and the Raider turrets are the same as a RB turret they just don't have the machine eye on top. I have 5 rhino's(2 were purchased as such before I wised up) and all are convertible between Rhino, RB, Whirlwind and that was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Now hear me out.

Option one: The Terminus LR upgrade GW sells contains both a RB turret sprue and pred sponson sprues, and the Redeemer/Crusader conversion kit contains not only a A set of Assault cannons but the turret its self is just a RB turret that will fit HB or Laz cannons. The kits are good values for the money. A Teminus pack will let you build a RB turret with HB or LC and you can flog the Pred sponsons off, the Redeemer.Crusader kit gives you ands Assualt cannon turret and you can flog the rest pretty easily. Or find someone who bought a RB and doesn;t want the turret sprue. These are the quickest and easiest way since there is very little work involved..

Option two: Since you have rhinos and the top plate find something that fits into the turret hole, a plastic ball, piece of pipe, etc, and graft on the weapons into a turreted configuration. Cheap but can take a fair amount of time.

You're proposal could work, but it can lead to confusion unless you only play the same people all the time. I know in my area placing a heavy weapons marine along with the SGT in a rhino with the top off is common practice so everyone knows what squad is in which vehicle( really stops the magic moving squads) and if used along side your idea confusion is going to happen. The other problem is determining range and weapon LOS since using two marines carring heavy weapons you don;t have a really consitent point to measure from or check the LOS.

I wouldn't say no to you using something like that without seeing it first, but everything I've said would be in the weighing of it for a yea or ney. Of course if it really looked good is going to help your case immensely

Thanks for the ideas guys, gonna stick with it and have them measured and the bases from the models sunk into where ever the will be standing so they are kinda fixed into possition for means of measuring range and LoS and ofcource ill be annoucing my awesome conversion to the masses aka the guys i play with all the time what is it and besides being an awesome templar by squads cant take two heavy weapons (never field them in sqauds anyway takes up a cc/bp guy anyway lol

The one problem that I see with your idea is that it is possible for two Devastator Marines with lascannons to actually use the top hatch of a Rhino to fire from. So you are actually using one possible scenario in 40K to 'count as' another. This could be an issue with some players.

Archived