Xenos Flora

Kierdale

I wondered (and would like to see) if anyone had modelled flora and terrain on their models or scenery that was not the usual Terran-hues or shapes.

Purple grass, blue sand, or similar.

I'm interested in trying something like this and realise that you'd have to be careful not to draw attention from the miniature itself (in the case of basing) and so seek advice.

There was this thread over at WIP on a similar subject.

I have a feeling there's some trick to making it look alien yet believable, but I have no idea what that trick might be. I think that if you go for things like blue sand or red foliage, you'd want to use kind of desaturated colors to keep them from drawing the eye away from the mini too much.

I haven't got any examples, the models in question were done by a friend, but he used pencils, carved to represent hexagonal crystals on several of his eldar bases. His tyranids had tyranid bits like the egg sacs in Alien, and some mini capillary towers.

As a third one, i saw a thousand sons army with bases that had bright blue lightning, both in the cracks on the base, as well as striking upwards around the marines legs. It looked a bit cluttered though, and sort of blended into the marine itself.

• 3 weeks later...
Although I can't save I've ever used it, I do know that a good Aquarium store can supply all manner of very alien looking plastic plants. Many also stock obscure strange and unique stone and wood collections for adding to tanks. Sometimes it can be a bit pricey, but some of the things they can have are brilliant if you're looking for things from earth-jungle-like to totally alien flora and formations.

Archived