Looking for Basic Converting Tool Tutorial

I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my Space Wolves Great Company, and while I've kitbashed before, I've never really gotten too far into conversion proper.

I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me toward a blog or thread here or elsewhere that's got a detailed list of good tools to start with. I tried searching, but the strings I used resulted in a lot of specific conversions, which is always great, but nothing that said "This is where you start; this is your toolkit."

Thanks in advance,

Frostclaw

I recommend looking in the Modelling section of the Tutorials forum (a sub-forum of Painting, Converting, and Artwork).

My baseline recommendations for converting tools are:

• hobby knife (more commonly known as an X-acto knife)
  • hobby files
  • pin vice
  • hobby saw
  • cutters

You can see a selection of GW's tools here (though similar tools are available at most art/hobby/craft shops, often for less money). For $120, though, you can get a complete basic tool kit from GW. Before you throw the money down, however, I recommend taking a look at your local shop. Michael's and Hobby Lobby (here in the US) carry all of these tools and you'll probably spend less money. The carrying case GW provides, however, can be handy for ease of storage and if you plan on taking your tools somewhere (perhaps a hobby night at the local GW store or your friend's house or something).

Another tool for those with the resources is a rotary tool (people most often think of the Dremel, but there are others). With the wide selection of bits available for these tools you can perform a broad range of conversion steps, including cutting (especially handy when you're trying to chop up a metal miniature), drill, burring, etc. These tools tend to be more expensive, so you should only consider them if you have the money and an appropriate work space (and be sure to use safety goggles, and you might also consider ear protection).

The only stuff I can add to Brother Tyler's list is Green Stuff, as converting will often leave gaps that need to be filled or detail re/constructed. Secondly, an assortment of different wires, matching in diameter to the pin vice drill bits.

Cheers,

Jono

Shameless personal plug: Have a look at my Blog here at B&C. Everything already listed here is a great start, but I blather on-and-on about all manner of tools, brushes, adhesives, and other odds-and-ends. I should be doing another installment sooner-or-later to add to what I've already talked about. I never got around to things like styrene plastics, sculpting tools, and my new addiction, resin casting.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a tool snob - I swear by certain high quality tools. But if you ever get to really use and compare low and high quality tools/brushes side-by-side, you quickly see that quality tools/brushes are worth the modest investment. They do a better job, don't fight you as you work, and usually last much longer. The really funny thing is, because so many companies overprice cheap tools, many times you can get a better quality item for almost the same price from an Art/Hobby/Jewellery Supply shop.

greenstuff - for most of your sculpting needs.

miliput - for stuff greenstuff is crap at (capes, hard edges etc) *EDIT* if you're using miliput fine grain sand paper is also a good idea for smoothing stuff out.. like capes.. im cape obsessed btw)

a pin glued into the end of an old retractable pencil (most "tools" like this are blunter, thicker and overly long.. the familiarity of a pen type tool with an end you can replace is good)

sharp pointy objects (also called a knife) keep the blades fresh, blunt knives suck.

clippers

pin vice

dremmel if you're feeling flash.

then spend lots of money on your brushes from all the savings you made not buying stuff from gale force 9 or gw.

Archived