Starting up Dark Angels

Brother Terrus

Alright, so despite a bit of hunting the fallen (i.e. checking in on the Chaos forums), I think I'm definitely gonna do DA, at least at first. So, I was thinking of a color scheme that utilizes a Deathwing-esque bone coloured armor throughout the whole army and doing it as a succesor chapter. I'd still want something to throw in that contrasts, and set my chapter apart from just being DA in Deathwing colors/ slightly yellowed Angels of Absolution though, does anybody have an ideas?

I'd look through the sticky at the top of the page with the pics of everyones armies. You'll see deathwing painted a ton of different ways and it may give you an idea of the look you're trying to go for.

Welcome to the rock brother!

I had the same thing as you, I really liked the look of Bone coloured armour, and I wanted to incorporate it into my army, but then I love colour green, and have been wanting an army of Green Marines for a long while.

So, I paint my army using normal DA colours, but I paint the shoulder and knee pads bone. I think it works better than black if I'm honest, bone and dark green go well together, and it provides some good contrast to break up the models visually.

I never really liked the idea of playing a successor chapter, the thought of commanding the Emperor's first legion appealed too much for me, so my fluff is that my army is not a chapter company per se, but it is instead a battleforce that has been raised for a specific campaign, the goal of which is part of the secret agenda.

The battleforce is made up by taking a strike force from the first and second companies, and then some of the finest warriors across all the other companies of the chapter are selected to support them.

They mostly operate as reargaurds for RW and DW strikes, and serve as supporting forces for the Deathwing, as their main job is to work with the Deathwing, They have bone shoulder and knee pads, in place of any company heraldry (apart from DW and RW heraldry)

My PA command squad and Company master also wear bone armour and green robes, my reasoning for this is that seeing as the purpose of the non-DW/RW units is to support the Deathwing, then the commander of the support contingent must be able to understand and co-operate with the Deathwing seamlessly, and as such, one Deathwing sergeant is elected to lead the Power Armour contigent (he is the 'company master' but seeing as the DW and RW also field a 'company master' each, it is more correct to say that he one of three captains that lead military operations in the battleforce, and represents the greenwing portion of the force) and the rest of his squad serve as his command retinue.

All the infantrymen (Deathwing or Greenwing) in the battleforce partake in a series of duels, the ultimate victor of which is the 'company champion' that serves in the command squad.

They wear Power Armour because, they are part of the support contingent, but their armour is bone, because they are still part of the Deathwing.

The company champion wears bone power armour if he was originally from the first company, or black, adorned like a traditional knightly champion of Calbian if he was orginally from a Greenwing company (basically, if I decide to use my converted emperors champion model, kept black out of respect for my first chapter, the Templars)

That's just how I go about it, fluff and colour scheme wise, feel free to plunder any ideas you like out of it, I'm sure you'll come to something that you're happy with, it's your army, make it your own! You'll end up falling in love with the Dark Angels regardless of how you play them.

I was actually toying with the idea of bone armor with green robes. As I brought up in another thread, what first caught my eye about the Dark Angels before I even started exploring the fluff were the robed models, and I'd considering doing bone & red robes, or bone and green, do you perhaps have any pictures up anywhere?

In any case, a Successor Chapter appealed to me because it gives me freedom to come up with my own fluff, but because of how close-knit DA successors are with their primogenitors, it's like being an extended family. Win-win in my book!

I was actually toying with the idea of bone armor with green robes. As I brought up in another thread, what first caught my eye about the Dark Angels before I even started exploring the fluff were the robed models, and I'd considering doing bone & red robes, or bone and green, do you perhaps have any pictures up anywhere?

In any case, a Successor Chapter appealed to me because it gives me freedom to come up with my own fluff, but because of how close-knit DA successors are with their primogenitors, it's like being an extended family. Win-win in my book!

I would say go with Green robes, ive seen it done somewhere before, and it looks great. check out isiahs The Dark Fortress for inspiration.

Also, as for extended family, that is entirely correct :D well, some of us are of the opinion we are closer than that and are really a secret Legion unified in more than just our hunt....

I was actually toying with the idea of bone armor with green robes...do you perhaps have any pictures up anywhere?

No pictures of any of my painted models yet no, but seeing as you asked, I'll try get some taken later today/tomorrow for you.

Bone armor and red robes would look very cool, if they are dark enough, they certainly pair just as well as bone and the forest green. If you wanted to see some red and bone, here are 2 snapshots of a former project.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/IMGP9895-1.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/IMGP9892-1.jpg

Hope it helps discussion.

Well, I think Candleshoes has wrecked any and all reasonable decisions from me after seeing that! Those red robes are quite as cool as I imagined. I still have to wonder if I could manage to point them to that level or not, though. Anyway, I'll still wait to see some more green-cloaked guys, and then once I get myself a proper box of robed marines I'll try out whichever I think looks better first to see if I can do it to a level where I still like it. Thanks for the ideas though, I appreciate it!

EDIT: Ordered my AoBR box today, hopefully it makes it in pretty quick!

I got some pictures for you mate, some normal marines, rocking the green and bone pads, and the command squad a company master with bone armour and green robes.

The company master was painted by a friend before I picked up Dark Angels, so the tone of his armour is slightly different.

and these models were painted, before I perfected my bone recipe.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/mercilesstengo/DSC_2658.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/mercilesstengo/DSC_2657.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/mercilesstengo/DSC_2655.jpg

Archived