Ravenwing bike base question...

he_plays_guitar

Hello brothers,

I have 56 Ravenwing bikes, and 8 attack bikes. My question is, I am looking for bases and I don't know which ones to get. Getting resin bases for 56 bikes is WAY too much money. Buying the regular round edged bike bases is a little more possible, even though they are plain. I can still flock them nicely. The other option is the rectangle cavalry bases from the Fantasy range.

So I suppose my actual question is this: Would I be laughed at by the cool kids on the block for having all square bases? Are the square bike bases legal in tournaments? Is it worth buying the round edged bases just for the "slightly sleeker and more modern" look? Last of all...anyone know where I can get lots of bike bases for cheap? Figured I would throw the question out there and see what all my fellow Ravenwing players thought.

To my knowledge there would be nothing wrong with rocking it old school square but keep in mind for tournaments, that are normal like GW tourneys, you can use the old base or the new base but you can't use the new square cavalry bases as they are not the ones included with the new bikes. The rule book normally states that you must use the bases that come with them in the box. New bikes being the pill base, long rounded. If you can find some of the old rectangular bases that used to come with the old bikes then that would be all good for GW like tournaments but if they are the new ones you may have something said to you. If you don't play tournaments then no worries :teehee: If doing a base for attack bikes the 60mm dreadnought bases work nicely, as they don't come with a base you would just need something that would kind of hold the basic shape of the model but no base is needed with them as they don't currently come with a base. Even a square large monster base could be used for Attack Bikes but GW does seem to be trying to go the route of rounded bases for 40k models.

I hope that was helpful. For buying bases, not sure as to what is allowed to be stated or not, so if anything is wrong with post, admins, I understand if you edit my post =D , GW has bases and there is always eBay but always be cautious and check the listing fully before committing to a buy on eBay.

If you have a lot lying around, and want too, take those old square cav bases, and take one half of the normal round 25mm bases and glue on each side. IIRC that makes them exactly the same size and look as the newer bike bases.

there are perhaps some hassle included in the choping and gluing, but I'm sure you figure out how to solve it :)

If you have a lot lying around, and want too, take those old square cav bases, and take one half of the normal round 25mm bases and glue on each side. IIRC that makes them exactly the same size and look as the newer bike bases.

there are perhaps some hassle included in the choping and gluing, but I'm sure you figure out how to solve it :)

If youre going this way, get some cork from an arts shop or chips from a garden store (not really sure how you call those places were you can buy plants and garden accesories) and use them as an upper layer for the base, that way it will be easier to glue the round halves and the base will look more awesome! A little bit of greenstuff or putty for the edges and noone will be able to tell theyre custom bases :)

They look like this:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20120208_175647.jpg?t=1328724446

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20120208_180327.jpg?t=1328724370

If you have the parts and want to save a bit of money I think it's a good idea. Note that the cavalry bases are 25mm wide but the round bases are 28mm. This means you need less than half of a round base for each end and can afford a bit of wastage when you cut them down the middle.

It is quite a bit of work but I did these before I even knew the bike bases existed! The sad thing is that I want to re-base them to match the Deathwing models I'm doing now and it might be easier to start with fresh bases than to scrape the static grass off.

Archived