Ravenwing Scout moves

Blukom

Yup, thats true.

He would get a space marine bike, but not the teleport homer or scout rule.

I either play my command squad with the chappy deployed as on, or I boost the chappy up to them Turn 1.

You could always join them in reserves aswell if deploying is not an option, but offcourse no outflanking either then so they have to come from your deployements zone board edge.

I always found it funny that the DA Chaplain and Librarian don't get Ravenwing bikes seeing how in the fluff all bikes for DA are from the Ravenwing :sweat:

It takes more than owning a bike to be Ravenwing.

True, but you'd think that the 2nd wouldn't be the only company not to have Chaplains or Librarians. I mean, how likely is that from a fluff point of view?

A tactic I used to use was deploying my bike HQ halfway between two bike squads about 8-12" from each, all by himself. 

All of my bike squads would be on the deployment line across the board... (think of the start of a motocross race)

As part of my scout move I would shift my forces toward one flank. 

This move brought one squad or the other into contact with the chap or lib. 

Then first turn the last squad in line would turbo and the other 2-3 squads would move to shoot. 

Attack bikes would surge forward to deal with the key armor. 

Speeders would either push the line back (IE finish off / wipe out the most advanced units) or delay (popping their transports) or reduce them depending upon the flank they were closer too. 

This would get the sense that all of my forces were moving... FAST.

And my opponents tended to focus on the fact that half of their army was now out of position... And the other half was about to have more than they could deal with. 

I would also mess with their range estimates, by not setting up as far forward as possible. 

Since almost everyone wants to get the alpha strike, they tend to not anticipate an opponent that can easily get it but chooses not to take it. 

I always found it funny that the DA Chaplain and Librarian don't get Ravenwing bikes seeing how in the fluff all bikes for DA are from the Ravenwing :lol:

It takes more than owning a bike to be Ravenwing.

It's the fact that in the fluff, all bikes come from the RW company and they should have teleport homers for that reason. Not saying that Chaps and Libs should also have the scout move. That's a trait of being a Ravenwing rider not a trait of a RW bike. Similar to the fact that all bikes have turbo boost. It's a trait of the bike not the Riders skill.

I know they didn't include that because they most likely didn't want a Chap or Lib on a bike to make it easier for DSing DW. I find it funny they didn't just state that their bikes are personal and not from the RW but it's in there that all bikes belong to the RW. Work with the fluff! :lol:

Sammael's Jetbike doesn't have it either but that can be argued that it isn't a bike, it's a jetbike. lqtm. It would be neat to have it as having a teleport homer. Fly over some baddies, drop in a squad from behind no scatter roll :lol:

it's more that the libby and the chaplain of the second company would be a.) part of the inner circle and b.) permanently attached to the ravenwing.

if they were permanently attached, you'd think the rw sargeants would have taken their training wheels off after a bit.

we already get the shaft with not being able to turbo boost in our scout move (SM scout bikers can. khan's bikers can. why the hell can't we?)

Could someone provide exact staement that all bikes are RW? In the previous DA Codex you could field bikes from reserve companies after all (RW have to train those bikers somewhere).

They aren't. That's why the Master, chappy and Libby on bikes don't get the RW rules.

The reserve Companies getting bikes or speeders was in the the third edition Codex as you say but the option was cut out in the 4th. Part of that logic (I think) was that no one took non-Ravenwing bikers or speeders anyway as they were too good :). Secondly GW wanted to push the RW/DW combo to the max. Scout bikers also went too btw.

Cheers

I

I can't remember where I saw it. I think it might have been in a White Dwarf issue for a short story. One thing is though, they didn't include the section that used to say that the 6th company used bikes and the 7th used Landspeeders in the current codex. Which now can imply that only the Ravenwing have bikes and Landspeeders, beyond the Master's Landspeeder but I am pretty sure it's also considered as part of the Ravenwing. Which can be the reason why DA no longer have DA bikes & Landspeeders and why we do not have Scouts on bikes either anymore.

I also am sure that the reason why they don't have it in the rules that they have teleport homers on them is so that you don't have too many DW no scatter DSing options. Also the reason why we can't turbo boost on a scout move as it would be too much for the rules (meaning they thought it would be too broken.)

They even let it in on the FAQ where someone asked why they can't have Ravenwing bike when it's in the fluff. lqtm

Archived