Scythes of the Emperor WIP

BoogeyMan^

• 4 weeks later...
That librarian is awesome! I love that purple you used, how did you get that rich tone?

Thanks. All paints are Vallejo.

For purples I used VMC Royal Purple as the base, gentle wash of VGC Violet ink, then highlighted by adding VMC Magenta (this color is the reason of richness, I guess) + White to tone pinkness down a bit (Purple:Magenta:White 1:1:1, then Magenta:White 1:1).

For blue armour - base was the mix of Black, Royal Purple and VGC Magic Blue (roughly 1:1:1). I can hardly name the achieved colour, basically dark turquisy-purplish grey, then Violet ink in the recesses. Highlights were done with the mix of Purple and Blue (1:1), then (1:3), glaze of pure Magic Blue, edges with VGC Electric Blue.

Dropper bottles are great for mixing colours, but I'm still using the brush to grab and mix the paint on the pallete, so proportions are not very accurate. Hope this helps ;)

Colonel_ Logan

Thanks, glad you like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm attempting the Yellow and Black myself and it's proving to be a bitch but I won't give up on it. What's the easiest way you've found to do it (highlights and all)?

I mostly use Vallejo paints (Model Color line), but I've got few foundation ones from GW.

My recipe is:

grey primer, black one makes it very hard to paint yellow.

for yellow - GW Iyanden Darksun base, some sort of Sepia wash, Darksun: Deep Yellow 1:1 mix base re-apply leaving the recesses, then pure Deep Yellow as extreme highlights (in some cases it's good to add a little of bone/white);

for black - Black:German Grey 1:1 mix base (very dark grey colour, it's looks black but it's not) , Dark Seagreen 1st highlight, Medium Sea Grey 2nd highlight, pure White on most exposed parts (little lines or even dots).

I try paint yellow base first, basically just loading brush with Darksun (diluted with a water just a little) and applying it not thinking about accuracy. Same with the wash, then I try to be as accurate as possible when painting black/other colours ;)

I think it could be even easier with some sort of yellow colored primer or by using an airbrush, but unfortunately I don't have access to any.

Hope this somehow helps, feel free to ask anything you're interested in.

Thanks for the support, brothers :tu:

Small update, not part of the LPC, though:

http://s9.postimage.org/542zke7sf/speeder.jpg

It is almost ready, highlighting needs to be done and I'll glue some purity seals here and there. Sorry for bad pictures

Thanks for kind words :D

I've primed two test bikes and stumbled upon question - what parts of bike will be better to paint yellow? I'm thinking about center bolter and above-engine piece, but it will be nice to hear your opinions, brothers ;)

Made quick photoshoping:

http://s9.postimage.org/4z3vc8mzz/bike.jpg

(thanks to this dude for bike pic I've googled)

With bright purity seals and brown pouches here and there it should look fine, I guess :tu:

As for bolters, all weapons im my army have black casings, so I'll leave them black as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived