What plasticard thickness sizes are commonly used?

jerryrich

Ok, I plan on starting some scenery soon and would like to get some plasticard but im not sure what thickness to buy, what are teh more common sizes used by yall for wargaming at this scale. Most of my stuff is probably going to be thickish cardboard but i think there are going to need to be some heavier duty things made and i want to use plasticard.

So in essence what thickness do yall use for these kinds of projects? i know i want to get a variety but im not sure where to start and i dont want o buy super thin stuff thats not much more than paper.

thanks in advance.

If you're planning on making a whole building from plasticard you'll want something on the thicker side. I'd probably look at 3mm-4mm as a rough starting point. At this thickness there's much less flexibility so you should maintain the structures shape. Even at that thickness though, if you're building something on the large side remember to brace and/or support the layers - especially if you'll be standing models on it. This can be done with anything from foamboard, plastic rod or good old polystyrene blocks etc.

I also used anything down to about 0.5mm as these work well for detail layers and fitting to curved surfaces.

There's an element of experimentation required with all these things and you'll figure out what works best to suite you requirements. While you're at it buy yourself a fresh pack of scalpel blades and metal ruler/straight edge (if you don't have already). Both these things will make your life working with plasticard MUCH easier!

Plasticard, a subject I can really dig in to. I'll try not to ramble too much. :)

As has been mentioned, 0.13mm, 0.25mm, 0.4mm, and 0.5mm sheet is best for layering and adding detail in the form of trims, panels, tiles, etc.. These thicknesses don't need to be bent-and-snapped to complete cuts, since they are thin enough to make cuts completely through. This lends itself well to making intricate patters that are hard (or impossible) to bend-and-snap due to their shape. You'll want (need) at least some thin sheets to give things depth.

Once you start getting to 1.0mm+, the plastic gets much more rigid and can easily be enough to support the weight of miniatures. That said, RebG is very correct. While even 1.0mm sheet can carry the weight (especially if it has some lighter detail layers adding more strength) any 'floors' will need some reinforcement where they join the 'wall', even if it's over 1.0mm thick. A well built floor won't usually 'sag', but it can more easily bend and snap off at the join.

Once you start getting to 1.0mm+, you are also forced to bend-and-snap to complete cuts. It's just too thick to cut all the way through, unless you put in a ton of effort. This method works best on simple straight cuts, and will force you do simpler shapes. That is usually fine, since the lighter plastic will be added to do detailing.

I don't build structures right now (but will in the future) so I have less call for heavier 1.5mm, 2.0mm, and 3.0mm thickness. I have sheet that thick, but I find I rarely use it. Experience has shown, if I wanted that thick for something like a heavy floor, I would aim to use 1mm sheets with spacers sandwiched between layers to get the desired thickness. Less material (cost) and less weight (hollow) is a good thing. Also, try cutting something like a clean window through a piece of 3.0mm plastic and you'll see why I'd rather build the wall hollow. :lol: Adding some strips to the edges to hide that it's hollow is simple, and in some cases building with 'I' beams and leaving it ragged and exposed makes it look intentionally built, then destroyed.

If I were to pick a selection of general purpose plastic, It would be something like...

Lots of 1.0mm - This is a good go-to thickness to do the base to anything 'thick'. Anything 'structured' built from this will be very strong, especially if it's reenforced. Mistakes will be made, and odd shapes will create waste - get lots.

Some 0.25mm, 0.4mm, and/or some 0.5mm - 0.25mm makes great 'light' details, and 0.4mm or 0.5mm are more pronounce. Find what thickness really suits what you're building (I use tons of 0.4mm, personally) and get some extra of that. Keep at least a few sheets of the others to change things up, and to glue together to get things like 0.75mm.

Some Small, Medium, and Large Square tube - Sizes will be personal preference. For structures, this will be used mostly for reenforcing corners, where floors meet walls, and building struts, stairs, girders, etc. But, you can cut it down to make 'L' channels and 'C' channels if you need. Also great to cut down, add two simple 'caps', and create small boxes for anything from crates to ammo drums to beams, etc.. Much easier than trying to build by hand.

Some Square strip and Round rod and/or tube - Again, just what sizes are personal choice. You'll want at least a bit of Square/rectangle strips for reenforcing, spacers, and adding quick trims. Round rod/tube may be useful if you want railings, pipes, spikes, hydraulic rods, rivets, etc., but you may find you can live without it.

Hope this helps some. And if you're really going to get in to scratch building, start with a modest list from the above. Then, while you build, take note of what you use, and what you wish you had. Slowly add to your plastic stockpile based on what will make things easier. There's tons of 'H' beams, 'I' beams, 'S' beams, 'C' channels, 'L' channels, and crazy shapes that you can get. It can be hard to 'see' how you might use something until you've built a few pieces.

Thanks a bunch guys. ill be ordering a variety of stuff here shortly. I really needed to know where to start. didnt want to buy a bunch of stuff that i would't use much of.

Civilized? Who needs to be civilized? I hate that decimal inch crap and WISH the U.S. would use the metric system. Metric system is the only decent thing left to import from across the big pond. LOL!!!

Archived