The Eternal Hunt

Dosjetka

Dipping his fingers into the dark crimson liquid coating the side of a pine tree, he then wiped them clean with his tongue. He took his time, concentrating on the taste, on the scent. He smiled. His prey was not far. Standing up again, he beckoned to his brothers who came silently towards him.

"What is it, Seyn?" asked the Sergeant.

"I’ve found his trail. He is wounded, so he will not be able to sustain his flight for much longer. We will finally be avenged." He smiled again, looking straight into his Sergeant’s piercing blue eyes, trying to discern his thoughts. But all he got was a curt nod and the order to move out immediately.

Finally, the hunt was nearing its end. They had been stalking their prey for a week now, with only very few traces to show where it had passed. It had not surprised any of them that it would be hard to find, it knew this area like the back of its hand. And they had all relished the challenge. And all would soon return to their masters in the Chapter’s Fortress-Monastery. He looked forward to the moment when his Sergeant would return the prey’s severed head to the Company Chaplain for him to place in the Squad’s stasis field as a reminder of the success of their mission as mere aspirants of the Chapter.

Slipping through the moss and ferns that littered the forest floor, Sergeant Vrek’s squad followed the trail that would lead them to the man they had been hunting for so long. At long last, he would be able to contemplate Krotia’s breath-taking landscapes. At long last he would be able to walk down the hallowed halls lined with the Chapter’s many campaign banners, wondering how it must have been for his brothers to walk on those battlefields of legend.

Shaking himself out of his reverie, he concentrated on the task at hand. He would have to time to reflect upon such things later. Now, all that mattered was taking down the prey. With a grin, he sped off, eager to be the first to spot the wounded man.

I hope that you'll enjoy reading this as much as I did writing it :) I cannot say when the next update will be, as I have this was written on a whim and I'll have to now flesh out the characters concerned and make a plot. However, I promise that I will keep you posted on progress and in the meantime, I will do my best to reply to any criticism or questions that you may have :)

Cheers,

Ludovic

Edit: Again, all my thanks to Lady_C for passively motivating me time and time again to try and write something at least as half as good as her stories! Much appreciated! :lol:

Well thank you again for the endorsement :D

Does this mean that you've given up on your other project? :)

Keep writing, though you may find that working on more than a whim gets you farther ;)

I thank you for the inspiration you provide me with ;)

And yes, for the moment, the Elder's Tale is on the back-burner for the moment, but there's a good chance that I pick it up again once I get some inspiration to continue it :)

I always start on whims and then try to develop the story further. Though this time, I've got the feeling that it will work out! I hope it does!

Ludovic

Archived