What would you add to the new codex?

Plaguewraith

Well I've been reading all sorts of threads lately about the supposed new codex in the works for the I Legion and I got to thinking, What units would I personally add? So I broke down and wrote them out, baring points balancing as that would

Need play testing. Here they are as follows.

Dark angels codex changes

Wishlist

HQ / Special chars

Asmodai w/ terminator armor option

Add wear gear upgrade options to basic Interogator chaplains IE LCs, TH+SS.

Keep all current SC, upgrade stat lines and point costs accordingly, keep all associated command squad upgrade possibilities.

Troops

Deathwing terminator squads

Allow 10 man squads, 2x heavy weapons, allow mixed war gear, make TH+SS a 10 pt upgrade per model. Allow LC to swap for PF and storm bolter for free. Keep current base point cost for 5 man squad, add upto 5 more for point per model cost.

Ravenwing attack squadron, allow squad size to increase from 3 to 10 bike models, allow purchasable attack bike, Add x3 assault weapon at 10 man. X2 at below 10.

Tactical marines, allow x2 heavy weapons/assault weapons at 10 men, add relentless special rule for 1 heavy weapon only per turn. Price unit accordingly.

Scouts, add x2 heavy/assault weapons at 10 men, sniper rifles war gear option per model remains.

Elites

Chaplin's 1-3 per slot, can join squads, gives litanies of hate to squads within 12 inches. Allow access to LC upgrades for 20pts per model. Reduce ws and bs to 4. Price models accordingly points wise.

Venerable Dreadnaught priced accordingly, allow upgrade to Chaplin Dreadnaught version w/ litanies of hate and assault weapon options (HF,SB, or melta gun) and x2 DCCW.

W/ AV 13 front points priced accordingly.

Techmarines remain same wargear wise, moved to elite slot per or can be taken 1 per (none walker)Vehicle taken in Heavy support slot free of FOC restriction

Heavy support

Plasma cannon turret and sponsons upgrade for predator.

Priced accordingly

Plasma turret upgrade for razor back. No option for las/plas razorback, one or the other only.

Mortis pattern Dreadnaught 

With options to double all weapon arm choices and shoulder mounted missle launcher

AV 12 w/ extra armor standard.

Allow venerable upgrade for 30 pts. Point cost base model accordingly.

Fast attack

Ravenwing Land speeder squadrons

Allow mixed weapon loadout and allow heavy weapon (assault cannon, heavy bolter, multimelta) + typhoon missile launcher upgrade throughout squadron,   1-3 models per FOC slot, price base speeder models accordingly.

Add deepstrike special rule.

AV 10 all around standard.

Ravenwing Assault Speeder

Twin linked Heavy weapon choice   Heavy Flamer, heavy bolter, plasma cannon as available choices. BS 4 for model.

AV 11 front, 11 sides, 10 rear. assault vehicle, carries 10 carapace armored models or 5 power armored models, cannot transport terminator models.

Let me know what you think? Would these be balanced if point costed right? Would they give the Dark Angels the uniqueness that they have been lacking for years?

What would you add/give up to get something in our codex?

I'd like to see something that improves tactical squads and makes them worth taking regularly. Something like a banner that affects squads with bolter weapons within 6" allowing them to shoot three times each instead of two if they remain stationary. Maybe a Chaplain that allows squads to do this as he can recite the 'Litanies of fast bolter firing' or something equally fluffy. I think this could make a few tactical squads a backbone of many forces and would suit the background of a Chapter that likes to stand their ground and pour on the firepower.

I too would like to see Asmodai

Maybe the Mortis dreadnought will be made a bit more special than just two twin-linked weapons. For autocannons why couldn't it just have say four autocannons rather than two twin-linked so it can pump out a few more rounds. Price hike of course.

I think a plasma predator tank is likely though I have a feeling it will be over priced.

I'd like to see Company Veterans given some real options so they can be issued with sternguard ammo or jump packs.

Deathwing I can see could get some more options. Maybe they'll be able to carry multi-meltas and/or plasma cannons. Perhaps combi weapons for the sergeants? Options to take some fancy power weapons for squads that are high up in the inner circle?

What I would like is to see RW actually be different from a C:SM bike army.

Different unit setups, deployment options, tactical and strategic options, and finally a unique unit to DA. (ok we can share it with BT)

If I wanted to play white scars I would... I want to play ravenwing, and my opponent should be able to tell easily.

The unique unit to DA does not have to be a RW unit, but it would be nice.

I am getting tired of reading the same old tripe in this forum where the best idea you can come up with is to copy/paste bike and speeder units from C:SM.

Even your LS Storm on crack isn't original.

And why would GW make a unit that slides between the storm and the stormraven?

That doesn't make sense from a production POV.

Over and above units - new or expanded fluff would be cool!! Preferably/not neccessarily Fallen-focussed, but further enhancement in a way that might encompass a little more on the Rock, Knightly Orders on old Caliban etc etc. How veteran squads fit in and who's in them etc etc.

I'd seriously like some new/expanded Successors and [their] named characters.

I think some seriously new artwork would be good too. Some stuff in our current dex is very old (not saying that's bad) but new imagery would be great to re-fire the imagination.

Over and above units - new or expanded fluff would be cool!! Preferably/not neccessarily Fallen-focussed, but further enhancement in a way that might encompass a little more on the Rock, Knightly Orders on old Caliban etc etc. How veteran squads fit in and who's in them etc etc.

I'd seriously like some new/expanded Successors and [their] named characters.

I think some seriously new artwork would be good too. Some stuff in our current dex is very old (not saying that's bad) but new imagery would be great to re-fire the imagination.

Agreed. It depends a lot on which artist does most of the work. One of the artists who did new work for the last dex has a style which is very effective for some races (orks, DE and skaven for example) and scenarios (he/she captures the atmosphere and movement well) but I don't often like their work for space marines. I think they need to be drawn in proportion and precisely. As an example the drawing of the deathwing advancing and firing from the right of the picture (page 5). The head of the sergeant and the chaplain especially makes me cringe. I do like the contrast between the armour and the dark surroundings though.

Whoever produced the art for Grimaldus, Helbrecht and the DE special character art is very good in my opinion. The covers of the 3rd edition SM and DA dex are real favourites.

I must say the art work is one of the things that makes me buy almost every codex. It makes me wish I could produce great work like the GW artists do; I can picture what it should look like in my head but my hands can never make it a reality! :)

HQ

Azrael: Army wide leadership bonus and tactical special rules

Ezekial: Few combat power, focus more on causing fear and disrupting the enemy

Sapphon: Leadership Chaplain

Asmodai: Combat Chaplain

Belial: Best Terminator Captain in Game. Can take special Deathwing Command Squad.

Sammael: Bike/Jetbike/Land Speeder option, boosts reserves and offers outflanking options. Bike and Jetbike can take Bike and Jetbike Command Squad. Land Speeder can join Land Speeder Squadrons and they can use his shield.

Bethor: Honor Guard Upgrade with one of the three sacred standards

Naaman: Close Combat Scout focus with rules like old Catachan Ambush rules.

Company Master

Interrogator Chaplain

Librarians: Epistolary and Lexicanum levels

MotF: Unlocks Mortis as Heavy Support.

Elite:

Deathwing Terminators: Option to select wargear as Wolf Guard

Venerable Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught

Mortis Dreadnaught: Firepower focused dreadnaught, think Ironclad but with Guns

Get rid of Company Elites entirely

Chaplains: Can be purchased in groups of 1-3 and divvied up to squads.

Techmarine.

Troops:

Tactical Squad: Combat Squads can reform to show tactical fluidity and prowess.

Scout Squad

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad: 0-3 Power Weapons, 0-2 Flamers, everyone can have plasma pistol. Cheap to encourage Greenwing playstyle.

Ravenwing Attack Squadron: Like now but with access to 0-3 Power Weapons and 0-2 Special Weapons.

Ravenwing Support Squadron: Like Now, but better priced to encourage land speeder heavy armies

Heavy Support:

Mortis Dreadnaughts

Vindicators

Predators with Annihilator, Executioner, and Destructor Varients

Land Raider Crusader

Land Raider

Land Raider Redeemer

Devastators: reasonably priced to encourage Greenwing playstyle

Special Rules:

-Army wide relentless.

-Always chooses to go first or second

-Arcane/Rare Wargear: Heavy Flamers/Autocannons in Tac Squads. Plasma Blasters purchased like combi-weapons. Autocannons for Devastators. Signums for Tac Squads. Grenade Launcher option.

-Intractable becomes Stubborn+

-Chaplains cause Morale Checks in enemy units

Yea! to the fluff/back story expansion.

Units-wise, the main changes I would like to see to what we already have are:

1. Ravenwing rules applying to biker Chaplain/Librarian (the company must have its own and not borrow from other companies, therefore they must surely also be capable of scouting/outflanking - same skill sets, right?);
  2. Land Speeders taken as part of an RW Attack Squadron also capable of scouting/outflanking (arguably RWS squadrons also ought to have this capability, but its the Attack squadrons that really suffer for the lack). If the whole Ravenwing is supposed to be a scouting/recon formation, why have it so that fully loaded squadrons can't scout?
  3. 10 man DW squads as an option - even RW squadrons are designed around 10 man units, so why not DW squads?

All of these would, in my view, correct some fluffy oddities.

As far as new stuff is concerned: just something unique please!

Chaplains as a 1-3 group of ICs in an Elite slot. Similar to Sanguinary Guard. Let me beef up a few squads numbers.

Dreadnought Interrogator Chaplains

Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod in the FA slot.

Drop Pod Assault Special Rule alongside Deathwing assault. Give me turn 1 Dreadnought Assaults to back up my Deathwing.

10 Man Terminator Squads with a 2nd Heavy Weapon Option and Combat Squads possible.

Elite Slot "Inner Circle" type robed terminators with WS 5 and 2 Wounds. 5 Man Squad, gets an Apothecary Option and one can take a Banner in a Squad.

MotDW - Gets Eternal Warrior.

Anything to give me some more Terminator options.

Paul

Oh yes, and if we must be more expensive than other SM armies, can we please at least be worth the points?? I'm quite happy being outnumbered, but not by better and cheaper SM opponents...

This is probably my main wish as well.

Mine too, an efficiency of points costs will make us viable more than tonnes of new toys. But I want a few new toys too B)

As for a units list, I pretty much like M2C's list. Except I want Company Vets left alone and I'd like to see each Speeder in an RWSS able to take the weapon options. Pewpew. If they add PCs as an upgrade to the HB for ABs and/or LSs I be happier than the proverbial pig.

s

I think that would be a shame and would lose some flexibility. It would make no sense if the DA never used veterans in power armour. Sure TDA is great a lot of the time but tbh sometimes power armour would be better! Plus I love the Sternguard models and like those as company vets with some modifications.

my two cents, get comfy...

fluff-wise (admit nothing really new here...):

• the legion never disbanded, just spread out, Azrael is the commander of the legion; the inner circle are the Grand Masters from across all chapters
  • DA essentially have 2 veteran companies - DW and RW - whilst successors 1st co is a mix of the two
  • Generic Grand Master to enable easier creation of successors without having to proxy; in my head i imagine the DA GM being Azzy's right hand man, running the Rock and maybe being 10th Co master; for successors he is the master of the 1st (Death/Raven) company
  • like the good old days, we field either "Greenwing" power armour, or Death/Raven type forces
  • "Hunt The Fallen" is for Death/Raven only where we pick an HQ or Squad leader who becomes a secret objective to be contested; giving the game away automatically awards the objective to the opponent
  • "Interrogators" are the Inner Circle Chappys and Libbys who, somewhat obviously, hunt and interrogate Fallen suspects or leads - there aren't too many of them, for the sake of secrecy.
  • Heavenfall Blades = Relic Blades

list-wise:

up front disclaimer! - points-cost-wise i've no idea really, i share the previous sentiment of more expensive is fine as long as we are appropriately superior

Special Characters:

Azrael - "Strategic Genius" where he brings the same special abilities as all 3 Imperial Guard "advisors"; relic blade; power fist with built in TL-plasma pistols (dump the combi-plas - i don't like the model or the load-out); option for termi armour; unlocks Death/Raven armies; other spec rules as appropriate; stat line like papa smurf. chapter command squad that unlocks old-school Sacred Standards (Fortitude, Redemption, 3rd one i cant remember name of!); changes Company Vets from Elites to Troops

Ezekiel - same load-out, better stat line and warp powers; unlocks Death/Raven armies

Sapphon - termi armour, crozius, SB, sacred book like Ezekiel's but with different effect on Death/Raven; unlocks Death/Raven armies

Belial - relic blade, MC SB (no alternate load outs like TH/SS, etc); Death/Raven armies ONLY; DW command squad with special DW standard (affects DW only); DW ruleset

Sammael - current jet bike; relic blade; Death/Raven armies ONLY; unlocks RW command squad on jet-bikes with special RW standard (affects RW only); RW ruleset

HQ's:

Generic Grand Master - Relic Blade; unlocks Death/Raven armies; options like C:SM equivalent; option for termi armour (DW ruleset) or bike/jet bike (RW ruleset); spec rules gets to pick 2 abilities like IG advisors; Chapter command squad, DW command or RW command as appropriate.

Generic Interrogator Chaplain - Crozius/Bolt Pistol/Rosarius; options for Termi armour (DW rules) or Bike (RW rules); statline superior to standard chappy; Death/Raven armies ONLY.

Generic Interrogator Librarian - Force Weapon/Bolt Pistol; options for Termi armour or bike (rules as above); statline superior to standard libby; Death/Raven ONLY.

Generic Company Master - unlocks Company Vets as Troops; options like C:SM equivalent; spec rules gets to pick 1 ability like IG advisors

Generic Chaplain - standard C:SM set-up

Generic Librarian - standard C:SM set-up

Elite:

Master of the Forge - standard C:SM but with dedicated transport option; Death/Raven ONLY; option for termi armour or bike (DW/RW rules as appropriate); unlocks the (all-new and improved!!) IronWing - i.e enables Dreads as both Elite and Heavy choices

Techmarine - standard C:SM set-up but with dedicated transport option

Deathwing squad - squads of 5; mix&match weapons as usual; allow power swords as standard; add Multi-melta to heavy weapon options; DW rules as normal; veteran statline; Land Raider dedicated transport option.

Ravenwing Jetbike squad - Death/Raven ONLY; 5 jetbikes (TL bolters) where one can upgrade with HB/MM/PC; RW rules; veteran stat-line

Company Vets - squads of 5 or 10; a hybrid of Vanguard and Sternguard in one squad (e.g. combat squad 5 jump-pack Vans supporting 5 Sterns in a Razorback)

Dreads - Standard and Mortis

Troops:

Tacticals - squad of 5 or 10; load-out like a 4th ed Chaos SM squad, i.e. Bolter, Bolt Pistol & Chainsword; 1 special weapon for 5-squad; 2nd special or 1 heavy for a 10-squad

Scouts - squad of 5; standard C:SM set up including reduced statline (makes sense i think)

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad - standard C:SM set-up

Ravenwing Attack Sqdrn - squads of 5 or 10 bikes; RW rules; Veteran stat-line; 5-squad can sub-in 1 attack bike (for 2 bikes); 10-squad can sub-in a second attack bike.

Ravenwing Support Sqdrn - squads of 1-5 landspeeders; RW rules; speeders can be any variant; veteran stat-line.

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad: standard C:SM set-up, but with addition of Heavy Flamers to the options; marines start as Tacs and surrender Bolter for heavy weapon.

Preds - Annihilator, Destructor and Executioner variants

Vindies/Whirls - standard C:SM set-up

Deathwind Drop-pods - Death/Raven ONLY

I think that would be a shame and would lose some flexibility. It would make no sense if the DA never used veterans in power armour. Sure TDA is great a lot of the time but tbh sometimes power armour would be better! Plus I love the Sternguard models and like those as company vets with some modifications.

I agree. I love my Company Veterans. They've got to be my favorite unit in the codex!

For starters I would make Terminators and Bikers troops. I really don't like being forced to take a special character to make them troops anymore.

Going off the rumor, I would make an 'Inner Council' type unit that's a 0-1 elites choice that can be upgraded to be part of the ravenwing, the deathwing, or just normal vets. Have them grant preferred enemy or something along those lines. Elite stat line. Etc. Split apart to join whatever.

-Terminators would have 4++, MC Storm Bolters, and 2handed swords

-Bikers would be on Jetbikes and would be armed with some form of lance weapon with the lance or melta special rule. Or perhaps the halbreds the Emp's bodyguard have in all the artwork.

-Vets would have access to the banners or something along those lines.

Would be nice to have tooled up razorbacks that forego transport capacity for 'extra ammo' at a price reduction and can be taken as squadrons of 3 in Fast Attack maybe. 30pts + 10 for plasma cannon/tl las or something.

Would be cool to have a fast and heavy attack option for terminators and bikers too.

-Terminators with rerollable scatter, when they land place a template on them and they can 'telefrag' units, and one 12" jump every other turn or something for fast attack. More heavy weapon options, or just give everyone a cyclone default in heavy with +2 heavy weapon options.

-Bikers would have land speeders in fast attack. Heavy could be attack bikes with las and plasma option.

Land Raider variant with more carrying room.

Heavy Mortis Dreads

Would also be nice if the standard tactical marines had something going for them to make them more valuable.

Here is my list of changes and additions for a new DA Codex.

Just because :)

HQ

Supreme Grand Master Azrael

• Stats - consistent with Marneus Calgar
  • Sword of Secrets - Str 6 Power Weapon, rerolls all failed hit/wound
  • Lions Wrath - Combi-Plasma becomes an Ancient Combi-Plasma using rules from previous edition (ie. plasma is more than one shot, can fire one or both barrels every turn)
  • Lion's Strategy - After all units have been deployed, and scout moves made D3 Dark Angel units may do one of the following;
    1. Redeploy anywhere in Deployment zone,
    2. Make a Scout move,
    3. Removed from deployment and placed in reserves.

[*]Honour Guard

Grand Master of Librarians Ezekiel

• stats as in Codex:DA4
  • Powers - Ezekiel knows all DA Librarian Powers
  • Psyker Level - Ezekiel may cast three Psychic Powers per turn
  • Traitors Bane - Str 6 Force Sword
  • Invulnerable Save 4++ Invulnerable save
  • Honour Guard

Grand Master of Chaplains Sapphon

• statsAs an Int-Chaplain in Codex:DA4
  • Litanies of Repentance - unit rerolls all failed to hit/wound on Charge
  • Litanies of War - unit gains Prefered Enemy
  • Inspiring Leader - All units within 12" us Sapphon's Ld for any morale checks, and may reroll failed morale checks
  • Fearfull Pressence - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or fight at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Cup of Retribution - All Units within 12” Gain Counter Attack
  • Honour Guard

Grand Master Belial of the Deathwing

• stats - As a C:SM Captain, with +1 Init (5)
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Deathwing Attack - unit may assault after Deepstrike
  • Improved Teleportation - All units Deepstriking via Teleport Scatter reduced to 1d6
  • Sword of Silence - Str 6 Power Weapon, reroll wounds, +2d6 Armor Penetration
  • Storm Gauntlet - MC Storm Bolter built into the gauntlet that he carries the SoS
  • Protector of the Pride - Storm Shield, increases inv save of all models in his unit by 1
  • Remove 0-1 Restriction on any Deathwing Units

Master Sammael of the Ravenwing

• independent Character
  • Stats - As per Captain
  • Bike option
  • jetbike option - allow for jetbike squad.
  • Speeder option - aloww to Join a Speeder Squadron - 4+ Shield extends to whole squad
  • Raven Sword - Str 6 Power Weapon, rending
  • Remove 0-1 Restriction on any Ravenwing Units

Master Asmodai

• Stats - Stats as per Int-Chap from Codex:DA4, + 1 WS
  • Blades of Reason - Pair of blades that are Poisoned (2+) Power Weapons
  • Fearfull Pressenc - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or fight at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Litanies of Destruction - unit gains Furious Charge
  • Honour Guard

Master of the Forge

• Stats - As per C:SM
  • Master of the Iron Wing -
    1. Predators, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, Mortis Dreadnoughts may be taken of Squadrons of 1-3.
    2. All Dreadnoughts may be taken as troops choices.
    3. All Vehicles, and Only Vehicles are Scoring units.

Master

• - As per C:SM Captain
  • Fearless

Librarian

• - As per C:SM Librarian
  • Fearless
  • Honour Guard

Int Chaplain

• - As per C:BA Reclusiarch
  • Fearfull Pressenc - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or fight at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Honour Guard

Command Squad

• - As per C:SM
  • Apothecary
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing in TDA if Belial
  • Ravenwing on Bikes/jetbikes if Sammael
  • Power Armour If Master

Honour Guard

• Stats - As per Veterans, +1 WS
  • Size 3-10
  • Wargear - Artificer Armour, Honour Blade(str 5 PW),Storm Bolters, Storm Shield
  • Option - May Replace SB with Flamer, Meltagun, Plasma Blaster(Str7, AP3,Assault 2)
  • Fearless
  • Brother Bethor Upgrade

Elites

Company Veterans

• Stats - Standard Veteran Stats
  • Wargear Bolter, Bolt-pistol, Sword/Chainsword
  • CC Wargear options - As per C:DA4
  • Ranged Wargear Options - as per C:DA4
  • Heavy / Special Weapons - Two per 5 squad Members
  • Special Ammo

Chaplains

• FOC - Must join a squad, not an independent Character, does not count as elite choice.
  • Independant Character - counts as an elite choice

Techmarine

• FOC - May take One Techmarine per Vehicle/Squadron, does not count as elite choice.

Venerable Dreadnought

• Stats/option - As per C:SM, Remove Left AC arm option, Add Conversion Beamer
  • Special weapon options - meltagun, plasmagun.
  • Shield Option - Conversion Field / Refractor Field

Deathwing Dreadnought 0-1

• Stats - As per C:SM Ven Dread
  • [Venerable
  • Dual CCW's - Claws, Sword & Shield, Hammer & Shield
  • Special weapon options - heavy flamer, storm bolter, meltagun, plasmagun.(on claws,sword,hammer)
  • Torso Options - Cyclone Missile Launcher, grenade launcher
  • Deathwing Fear - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or fight at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Deathwing Assault
  • Deepstrike via Teleport

Deathwing Elites Squad 0-1

• Stats - As per C:GK Paladins
  • Size 3-10
  • Apothecary
  • Special/Heavy - 2 per 5 members
  • CC Weapon Options - PF & SB, PW & SB, TLC, TH & SS, PW & SS, Power Lance (Str 5, Init 5)
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing Fear - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or fight at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Deathwing Assault
  • Invulnerable Save 4++

Ravenwing Elites Squad 0-1

• Stats As per Veterans
  • Size 3-10
  • Special Weapons options - 2 per 5 members
  • CCW options - As per Company Veterans
  • Fearless
  • Hit and Run
  • Scout
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 4++ Save

Troops

Tactical Squad

• Options - As per C:SM
  • Special/Heavy - 1 per 5 members, +Plasma Blaster
  • Stubborn

Scout Squad

• Special/Heavy - 1 per 5 members
  • ATSKNF
  • Namaan Upgrade

Deathwing Squad 0-3

• Size 5-10
  • CC Weapon Options - PF & SB, PW & SB, TLC, TH & SS, PW & SS, Power Lance (Str 5, Init 5)
  • Special/Heavy - 1 per 5 members, +Plasma Cannon
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing Assault

Ravenwing Squad 0-3

• Stats - As per standard Marine Biker
  • Size 3-10
  • Wargear Bolt-pistol, Sword/Chainsword
  • Special Weapons options - May have 2 Special Ranged Weapons
  • CCW options - May have 3 Special CC Weapons
  • Stubborn
  • Hit and Run
  • Scout
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 5++ Save

Fast Attack

Assault Squad

• Weapon Options - any model may Replace BP with Bolter
  • Special Weapons Options - 1 per 5 members
  • Stubborn

Ravenwing Attack Bike Squad 0-1

• Size 1-5 (May Combat Squad as single assault bikes)
  • Heavy Weapon Options - HeavyBolter, Multimelta, Assault Cannon, Lascannon
  • Stubborn
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 6++ Save

Ravenwing Scout Squad 0-1

• Stats - As per standard Scout Biker
  • Size 3-10
  • ATSKNF
  • Scout
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 6++ Save

Deathwing Assault Squad 0-1

• Size 5-10
  • CC Weapon Options PF & SB, PW & SB, CF & SB, TLC, TH & SS, PW & SS, Power Lance (Str 5, Init 5)
  • Fearless
  • Personal Teleporters
  • Deathwing Assault

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad

• Options - As per C:SM, + any model may replace Bolter with storm bolter
  • Special/Heavy 4 per squad
  • options- As per C:SM, + Heavy Flamer, Autocannon, flamer, Meltagun, plasmagun
  • Stubborn
  • Relentless

Ravenwing Landspeeder Squadron 0-1

• Stats - As per standard Landspeeder
  • Heavy Weapon Options Heavy Flamer, HeavyBolter, Multimelta, Assault Cannon, Plasma Cannon, Typhoon
  • Pintle Weapon Options Heavy Flamer, HeavyBolter, Multimelta, Plasma Gun
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 5++ Save

Deathwing Devastation Squad 0-1

• Size 5-10
  • CC Weapon Options PW, PF, CF
  • Heavy weapons 4 per squad, + Plasma Cannon, + LasCannon
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing Fear - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or figh t at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Deathwing Assault

Mortis Dreadnought

• Stats/option - As per C:SM Dreadnought +1 BS
  • Twin weapon options - ML standard: HEavy Bolter, Multimelta, Assault Cannon, Lascannon, PlasmaCannon, conversion beamer, Cyclone Missle Launchers.
  • Torso Options - Cyclone Missile Launcher
  • Split Fire
  • PotMS
  • Venerable Upgrade +1 BS, Venerable reroll
  • Deathwing upgrade Deathwing Fear, Deathwing Assault, Deepstrike via Teleport

Dreadnought

• Stats/option - As per C:SM, Remove Left AC arm option
  • special weapon options - meltagun, plasmagun.

Predator

• Pintle mount option - Plasma gun, Plasma Blaster
  • Sponson mount option Plasma Cannon

Vindicator

• Pintle mount option Plasma gun, Plasma Blaster

Whirlwind

Landraider

• Sponson mount option Twin-Linked Plasma Cannon

Landraider Crusader

• Sponson mount option Hurricane (3x) Twin Linked Plasma Gun

Landraider Executioner

• - As per C:SM Landraider
  • Pintle mount Plasma gun, Plasma Blaster
  • Sponson mount option Twin linked Plasma Cannon or Firestorm (3x) Twin Linked Plasma Blaster
  • Forward Mount Twin Linked Plasma Cannon
  • Capacity 12 models

Predator Executioner

• Main TurretExecutioner Plasma Cannon

Dedicated Transports

Rhino

• Tactical Squads
  • Assault Squads
  • Devastator Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Razorback

• Tactical Squads
  • Assault Squads
  • Devastator Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards
  • Turret Option Twin linked plasma Cannon

Landraider

• Deathwing Squads
  • Deathwing Elite Squads
  • Deathwing Devastation Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Landraider Crusader

• Deathwing Squads
  • Deathwing Elite Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Landraider Executioner

• Deathwing Squads
  • Deathwing Elite Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Drop Pod

• Tactical Squads
  • Assault Squads
  • Devastator Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Landspeeder Storm

• Scout Squads

Here is my list of changes and additions for a new DA Codex.

Just because :)

HQ

Supreme Grand Master Azrael

• Stats - consistent with Marneus Calgar
  • Sword of Secrets - Str 6 Power Weapon, rerolls all failed hit/wound
  • Lions Wrath - Combi-Plasma becomes an Ancient Combi-Plasma using rules from previous edition (ie. plasma is more than one shot, can fire one or both barrels every turn)
  • Lion's Strategy - After all units have been deployed, and scout moves made D3 Dark Angel units may do one of the following;
    1. Redeploy anywhere in Deployment zone,
    2. Make a Scout move,
    3. Removed from deployment and placed in reserves.

[*]Honour Guard

Grand Master of Librarians Ezekiel

• stats as in Codex:DA4
  • Powers - Ezekiel knows all DA Librarian Powers
  • Psyker Level - Ezekiel may cast three Psychic Powers per turn
  • Traitors Bane - Str 6 Force Sword
  • Invulnerable Save 4++ Invulnerable save
  • Honour Guard

Grand Master of Chaplains Sapphon

• statsAs an Int-Chaplain in Codex:DA4
  • Litanies of Repentance - unit rerolls all failed to hit/wound on Charge
  • Inspiring Leader - All units within 12" us Sapphon's Ld for any morale checks, and may reroll failed morale checks
  • Fearfull Pressence - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or fight at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Cup of Retribution - All Units within 12” Gain Counter Attack
  • Honour Guard

Grand Master Belial of the Deathwing

• stats - As a C:SM Captain, with +1 Init (5)
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Deathwing Attack - unit may assault after Deepstrike
  • Improved Teleportation - All units Deepstriking via Teleport Scatter reduced to 1d6
  • Sword of Silence - Str 6 Power Weapon, reroll wounds, +2d6 Armor Penetration
  • Storm Gauntlet - MC Storm Bolter built into the gauntlet that he carries the SoS
  • Protector of the Pride - Storm Shield, increases inv save of all models in his unit by 1
  • Remove 0-1 Restriction on any Deathwing Units

Master Sammael of the Ravenwing

• independent Character
  • Stats - As per Captain
  • Bike option
  • jetbike option - allow for jetbike squad.
  • Speeder option - aloww to Join a Speeder Squadron - 4+ Shield extends to whole squad
  • Raven Sword - Str 6 Power Weapon, rending
  • Remove 0-1 Restriction on any Ravenwing Units

Master Asmodai

• Stats - Stats as per Int-Chap from Codex:DA4, + 1 WS
  • Blades of Reason - Pair of blades that are Poisoned (2+) Power Weapons
  • Litanies of Destruction - unit gains Furious Charge
  • Honour Guard

Master of the Forge

• Master of the Iron Wing -
    1. Predators, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, Mortis Dreadnoughts may be taken of Squadrons of 1-3.
    2. All Dreadnoughts may be taken as troops choices.
    3. All Vehicles, and Only Vehicles are Scoring units.

Master

• - As per C:SM Captain
  • Fearless

Librarian

• - As per C:SM Librarian
  • Fearless
  • Honour Guard

Int Chaplain

• - As per C:BA Reclusiarch
  • Honour Guard

Command Squad

• Apothecary
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing in TDA if Belial
  • Ravenwing on Bikes/jetbikes if Sammael
  • Power Armour If Master

Honour Guard

• Stats - As per Veterans, +1 WS
  • Size 3-10
  • Wargear - Artificer Armour, Honour Blade(str 5 PW),Storm Bolters, Storm Shield
  • Option - May Replace SB with Flamer, Meltagun, Plasma Blaster(Str7, AP3,Assault 2)
  • Fearless
  • Brother Bethor Upgrade

Elites

Company Veterans

• Stats - Standard Veteran Stats
  • CC Wargear options - As per C:DA4
  • Ranged Wargear Options - as per C:DA4
  • Heavy / Special Weapons - Two per 5 squad Members
  • Special Ammo

Chaplains

• FOC - Must join a squad, not an independent Character, does not count as elite choice.
  • Independant Character - counts as an elite choice

Techmarine

• FOC - May take One Techmarine per Vehicle/Squadron, does not count as elite choice.

Venerable Dreadnought

• Stats/option - As per C:SM, Remove Left AC arm option, Add Conversion Beamer
  • Special weapon options - meltagun, plasmagun.

Deathwing Dreadnought 0-1

• Stats - As per C:SM Ven Dread
  • [Venerable
  • Dual CCW's - Claws, Sword & Shield, Hammer & Shield
  • Special weapon options - heavy flamer, storm bolter, meltagun, plasmagun.(on claws,sword,hammer)
  • Torso Options - Cyclone Missile Launcher, grenade launcher
  • Deathwing Assault

Deathwing Elites Squad 0-1

• Stats - As per C:GK Paladins
  • Size 3-10
  • Apothecary
  • Special/Heavy - 2 per 5 members
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing Assault
  • Invulnerable Save 4++

Ravenwing Elites Squad 0-1

• Stats As per Veterans
  • Size 3-10
  • Special Weapons options - 2 per 5 members
  • CCW options - As per Company Veterans
  • Fearless
  • Hit and Run
  • Scout
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 4++ Save

Troops

Tactical Squad

• Special/Heavy - 1 per 5 members, +Plasma Blaster
  • Stubborn

Scout Squad

• Special/Heavy - 1 per 5 members
  • ATSKNF
  • Namaan Upgrade

Deathwing Squad 0-3

• Size 5-10
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing Assault

Ravenwing Squad 0-3

• Size 3-10
  • Stubborn
  • Hit and Run
  • Scout
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 5++ Save

Fast Attack

Assault Squad

• Weapon Options - any model may Replace BP with Bolter
  • Special Weapons Options - 1 per 5 members
  • Stubborn

Ravenwing Attack Bike Squad 0-1

• Heavy Weapon Options - HeavyBolter, Multimelta, Assault Cannon, Lascannon
  • Stubborn
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 6++ Save

Ravenwing Scout Squad 0-1

• Stats - As per standard Scout Biker
  • Size 3-10
  • ATSKNF
  • Scout
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 6++ Save

Deathwing Assault Squad 0-1

• Size 5-10
  • CC Weapon Options PF & SB, PW & SB, CF & SB, TLC, TH & SS, PW & SS, Power Lance (Str 5, Init 5)
  • Fearless
  • Personal Teleporters
  • Deathwing Assault

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad

• Options - As per C:SM, + any model may replace Bolter with storm bolter
  • Special/Heavy 4 per squad
  • options- As per C:SM, + Heavy Flamer, Autocannon, flamer, Meltagun, plasmagun
  • Stubborn
  • Relentless

Ravenwing Landspeeder Squadron 0-1

• Stats - As per standard Landspeeder
  • Heavy Weapon Options Heavy Flamer, HeavyBolter, Multimelta, Assault Cannon, Plasma Cannon, Typhoon
  • Pintle Weapon Options Heavy Flamer, HeavyBolter, Multimelta, Plasma Gun
  • Skilled Rider
  • Jink 5++ Save

Deathwing Devastation Squad 0-1

• Size 5-10
  • CC Weapon Options PW, PF, CF
  • Heavy weapons 4 per squad, + Plasma Cannon, + LasCannon
  • Fearless
  • Deathwing Fear - Any enemy unit charging or being charged must make a Morale Check at -2 or figh t at initiative 1 for the next assault phase.
  • Deathwing Assault

Mortis Dreadnought

• Stats/option - As per C:SM Dreadnought +1 BS
  • Twin weapon options - ML standard: HEavy Bolter, Multimelta, Assault Cannon, Lascannon, PlasmaCannon, conversion beamer, Cyclone Missle Launchers.
  • Torso Options - Cyclone Missile Launcher
  • Split Fire
  • PotMS
  • Venerable Upgrade +1 BS, Venerable reroll
  • Deathwing upgrade Deathwing Fear, Deathwing Assault, Deepstrike via Teleport

Dreadnought

• Stats/option - As per C:SM, Remove Left AC arm option
  • special weapon options - meltagun, plasmagun.

Predator

• Pintle mount option - Plasma gun, Plasma Blaster

Vindicator

Whirlwind

Landraider

• Sponson mount option Twin-Linked Plasma Cannon

Landraider Crusader

• Sponson mount option Hurricane (3x) Twin Linked Plasma Gun

Landraider Executioner

• - As per C:SM Landraider
  • Pintle mount Plasma gun, Plasma Blaster
  • Sponson mount option Twin linked Plasma Cannon or Firestorm (3x) Twin Linked Plasma Blaster
  • Forward Mount Twin Linked Plasma Cannon
  • Capacity 12 models

Predator Executioner

• Main TurretExecutioner Plasma Cannon

Dedicated Transports

Rhino

• Tactical Squads
  • Assault Squads
  • Devastator Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Razorback

• Tactical Squads
  • Assault Squads
  • Devastator Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards
  • Turret Option Twin linked plasma Cannon

Landraider

• Deathwing Squads
  • Deathwing Elite Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Landraider Crusader

• Deathwing Squads
  • Deathwing Elite Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Landraider Executioner

• Deathwing Squads
  • Deathwing Elite Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Drop Pod

• Tactical Squads
  • Assault Squads
  • Devastator Squads
  • Command Squads
  • Honour Guards

Landspeeder Storm

• Scout Squads

Sapphon: Leadership Chaplain

Asmodai: Combat Chaplain

I would change that to:

Sapphon: Combat & Leadership Chaplain(as he is superior in both to Asmodai)

Asmodai: Sinister & Demoralizing(to the enemy :) ) Chaplain(with a bit less leadership and combat ability than Sapphon).

Sadly, we probably won't see two special "Chaplainy" characters though, unless they are from different Unforgiven Chapters.

Sadly, we probably won't see two special "Chaplainy" characters though, unless they are from different Unforgiven Chapters.

Why not? The BAs got two, the top dog and the cool guy... If one of the two comes as "squad upgrade" I think its feasible.

My logic was BA got Lemartes to control the DC and Astorath to eat people. Either way they do it, you need a chaplain who inspires his men and a chaplain who scares the enemy.

In reality they both would be like that, but for varieties sake they should be different.

[HQ]

-Supreme Grand Master Azrael

-Sapphon, Grand Master of the Reclusium

-Ezekiel, Grand Master of the Librarium

-Interrogator-Chaplain Asmodai

-Belial, Master of the Deathwing (grants Deathwing Assault to all TDA-equipped squads)

-Sammael, Master of the Ravenwing (grants some kind of special rule to Ravenwing units)

>> An entry for a non-DA special character preferably from one of the original three Successors (i.e. AoV, AoR or AoA)

>> Master of the Ironwing (may be taken as infantry or in a vehicle; allows you to take a single Predator as a troop choice)

-Grand Master (Chapter Master level entry for the successors)

-Company Master

-Interrogator-Chaplain

-Librarian (with Epistolary upgrade)

-Deathwing Honour Guard (option for Azrael, Sapphon, Ezekiel and Belial as well as generic Grand Masters who are meant to be Successor Chapter Masters; others get PA-wearing honour guards, it would be awesome if we only got TDA-equipped ones)

-Ravenwing Command Squad (option for Sammael and bike-equipped Librarians; may also be a Company Chaplain option)

-Company Command Squad (Option is basic for Company Masters, Librarians, and Chaplains) --> Upgrade Standard Bearer to Brother Bethor

[Elite]

-Ravenwing Jetbike Squad (self-explanatory 3-5 members, vet level statlines and deepstrike as well as a close combat focus)

-Deathwing Custodians (a squad made up of previous and current holders of the title Custode, chosen during the Feast of Malediction, small unit of 3-5 members that fills the deathstar niche for those who like TDA)

-Deathwing Dreadnought

-Dreadnought

-Either a Ravenwing Dreadnought (speedy) or an Interrogator-Chaplain Dreadnought (maybe make it an HQ instead of elite)

-Company Chaplain

-Dark Angels Techmarine

-Company Veterans

[Troops]

-Tactical Squad

-Deathwing Squad (they will be set up with the loadout flexibility of TDA Wolf Guard or GK termies and have a few unique options)

-Ravenwing Squad (give them a few assault-specialist options to make the DA codex a good go-to for White Scars players in a similar way to the BA codex being a good choice for Ravenguard)

(note: I figure vanilla and BA can already do character unlocked bike squads so give us normal troop level access. GK have terminators as troops without a character option so they become another troop choice. We lose scouts as troops in return. Fair trade since the Blood Angels get Assault Squad troops without any tradeout)

[Fast Attack]

-Scout Squad

-Ravenwing Land Speeder Squad

-Assault Squad

[Heavy Support]

-Mortis-pattern Dreadnought

-Rapier Laser Destroyer Platform (based on the Thunderfire in terms of model)

-Vindicator

-Predator

-Lance-pattern Predator (the plas-pred)

-Land Raider

-Land Raider Crusader

-Land Raider Prometheus

-Whirlwind

-Ravenwing Attack Bike Squadron (pick up a plasma cannon option) (PS may move back to Fast Attack but I like this option to make Ravenwing only forces more varied in FOC selection)

[Dedicated Transports]

-Land Raider/Crusader/Prometheus (Deathwing and Deathwing Honour Guard only)

-Drop Pod

-Rhino

-Razorback

[unique Wargear]

Heavenfall Blades as options for a lot of things

Plasma Blasters for TDA-equipped units

Displacement Fields to play up the whole teleport-specialist thing

Graviton Gun for Techmarines or the Master of the Ironwing

Artificer Terminator Armour? (maybe something for Belial or the Custodians?)

Jetbikes available to some characters (Grand Masters maybe?)

Some kind of lance-like weapon for the Ravenwing (plasma lance is a possibility but maybe something else)

Special Ammo options (Vengeance rounds and Kraken Rounds)

RIDING LIONS... wait no scratch that

My main philosophies are... well, severalfold.

1) Make the Ravenwing and Deathwing synergistic without making it the only way to use them

2) Give the Greenwing some love with some Ironwing-based artillery as well as some special-ammo options to make them nasty in combat (I want Tactical Squads with special ammo)

3) Make pure Ravenwing and Deathwing armies fun and varied. Both can be led by any character so HQ variety is increased. The Ravenwing will have a Troop, Elite, Fast Attack and Heavy Support option that all fall within their purity restrictions. Deathwing have a few elite choices, a troop choice as well as some good HS/transport options.

4) Keep DWA around but don't make it a tax on every DW unit so that we aren't paying points for an ability we may not actually use

5) Add some fluffy but fun units to the list (Custodians, Jetbikes, Mortis, new Predator and a few special characters)

This is the rough concept that has been floating around in my head for years and has been translated in to homebrew list from time to time. That said I am not married to it, so if the new codex is substantially different then I wont be too disappointed.

Archived