Glowing Red Eyes?

pauljamesog

I'm helping my son paint his very first 40k army- Salamander SMs. Great fun together

We are having some real difficulty getting the eyes right, which are meant to be glowing/fiery style.

I looked in the tutorials couldnt see anything there.

Can anyone help in the colour selection and technique?

Many thanks!

Have you also tried Youtube? People have uploaded videos of tutorials there.

What I find the best thing to do, is experiment first on the pallet or on an unused model. It's easier if you start with a dark colour, and work up. For fire, the trick is to get a lighter colour; the hotter the heat, the brighter the colour, so to speak. Try brushing on a patch of dark red as a base, then when dry, brush a dark orange over the red but leave a little red revealed as an outer colour. Then do a lighter orange, then a yellow then a lighter yellow, then if possible a point of white.

If you want to get a glowing effect, best to experiment by painting orange or yellow slightly under or around the eye lenses. Use the smallest brush possible to apply.

Jase

Paint and highlight your armour as normal. Paint the lens dark red (scab red should do). Highlight the lens with blood red, then layer on some orange, highlighting just the lens. Add a little white to the orange and highlight again. You're after a 'peach flavour yoghurt' kind of tone. Use this mix to highlight JUST THE EDGES of the brow, bottom of the lens cavity and sides. Highlight the lens again with a bit more white in the mix.

If this looks too orange, you can knock it back by glazing very gently with thin blood red or Baal red.

Archived