paint stripping

I've got some models that need to be stripped down to bare plastic and metal. I've searched around and most of the guides or tutorials or posts I've found come from people using products not found in the U.S.

Personally I've used any paint thinner that would not eat away the model(sometimes have to water down) then I have to brush a lot with any kind of scrubbing brush.

Just wondering what other hobbyists/players are doing as i'm sure my was isn't very effective.

Simple Green is equally good for plastic and metal. A soak in an airtight container for a couple of nights is all it takes. Home Depot for the US, Bunnings for Aus, unsure about the UK. It eats Greenstuff and I'm unsure about resin.

Cheers,

Jono

Simple green is the product I use. I pour some in a tupperware container, dilute it with a little water and submerge the model in it. Let it sit for 12 hours and the best method I've found to actually remove everything is an old toothbrush. It's soft enough to not score the plastic but stiff enough to remove the paint. Make sure you wash the figure in soapy water afterwards to remove any residue of the simple green. I've used it on plastic and metal figures. Works great on vehicles as well.

Archived