How do you model command squadron bikers...

I've recently been reading some very interesting articles and tacticas about biker armies and they often discuss having the bikers with multiple melee weapons, or with storm shields. I was just wondering how to represent this on a model without it looking silly, as unless the marine is steering the bike with his knees he would have to use one hand to steer.

It is easy enough to represent a bolt pistol with one of the holstered pistols, or to stow a combi bolter, special weapon or storm/combat shield on the 'shelf' behind the marine's seat. You could even have the marine dismounted, I suppose. I can't for the life of me think of a way to stop a biker with a pair of lightning claws looking unbelievable, and the melta, thunderhammer and storm shield combo would also seem overly crowded, no?

Has anyone else tried these things, or got even better ideas? If so, I would be really interested to here them!

Cheers,

Aurelius.

My thoughts:

Lightning Claws - the plastic termies LCs look like they are a pair of powerfists with knuckledusters that have blades attached to them. Would take a bit of converting, but you could have a marine grapping the handlbars, while the blades are hinged up over the back of the hand.

Another possibility might be to build a pair of LC, that look more like wrist mounted blades, smaller, maybe retractable, like the Inquisitor Tyrus has.

Thunderhammer and Storm shield - I'd put the shield on the back and have the marine swing the hammer, rest it on his shoulder or maybe somehow attached to his belt, if it doesn't end up looking too big.

Apart from that the inv save could be some extra force field generating device similar to a Rosarius, that is somehow part of the bike, so you could 'count as' the Storm shield.

I like the idea of dismounted Marines myself, great opportunity for a little squad diorama - one damaged bike or wounded rider forcefully dismounted and the rest of the squad circle up to provide cover whilst the Apothecary patches up his wounded comrade.

For TH/SS have you considered 'thunder lances' and shields? For shields, you could try something like an ailette or besague , something like a larger version of he small shield borne by Veteran Brother Daulk (far right) in my RG Command Squad here. Add a Rough Rider style lance to that and TH/SS is covered. The melta you could go the route of the Scout bike GL I suppose and affix that to the bike.

Alternatively as lapdogs of the =][= ( B) ) the Scions might also have access to plenty of fancy gear, old school conversion or displacement shields etc. that could be used as 'count as' too, modelling those wouldn't be too hard and then you can holster/attach to bike a melta and have a TH in one hand.

As for mounted Marines, is there any way to model counts as LC ? Something like the Chaos bike scythes, but less chaos-y, might work for LC I suppose. Other than that, stumped...

As others have suggested, for Lightning Claws, take a nod to the old proper claw versions of previous years - or even the current Wolf Claws - since they are mounted on the back of the gauntlet, it leaves the fingers and hand free to grip the handlebars. May look a little odd at first, but it ought to work.

You could have your lightning claws in the Predator style, have two small shields (one strapped to each forearm, as opposed to one huge shield) or even just up-armour the bike. If you want the marines hands to be off the bike's handles, then maybe just put a wire from the back of his helmet to the control console thing in the middle of the handlebars.

I've been struggling with this recently aswell. I've cut down the melta guns and replaced one of the bolters on the front of the bike. I've moved the bolter across so I now have a twinlinked bolter that looks like a storm bolter and a melta gun attached to the front of the bike.

For the shields I've simply attached them to the one arm that holding the handle bars and the other arm is free to use the powerfist/lighting claws.

Archived