Black Templar player curious about "greenwing"

Prince of Ecstasy

Dark Angel brothers,

As a Black Templar collector, I've always had a slight interest in the Dark Angels. I'm a fan of the Chapter's imagery and the theme of redemption that is so prevalent in its history. I wanted to collect a small force of Dark Angels as a side project to my Black Templars, although I'm drawn more towards a so-called "greenwing" army rather than a pure Deathwing or Ravenwing one. I'm planning to paint around 1k worth of Dark Angels; maybe 1.5k if I'm drawn to them more. That said, I'd like to play with the army too and although I see the list as being on the fluffy side, I'd like to be able to hold my own against other armies. I was thinking of throwing a Deathwing or Ravenwing element into the mix, but the army will be predominantly green.

Have you got any suggestions on building a semi-competitive greenwing list? Thanks in advance!

"Greenwing" or "Ironwing" (Ironwing is a mostly mounted in transports with tank support force) isnt really competitive right at the moment (New book is coming, I have faith in the Emperor) but you have to have the two squads of tactical as a base. You will notice that we can add a special weapon at the 5 man level. Our Rhinos are the cheapest in the game so that is worth a thought, even just as ablative Rhino wall armor and 95 points for a Preadator "D" with heavy bolter sponsons is a bargain... My personal favorite is a company vets squad with 4 powerweapons, a Melta and 5 bolters in a Land Raider Crusader, Season with Chaplain as needed.

The question is what is your playstyle? Assaulty? Shooty? Do post this up in the armylist thread, you will get more "to the point" answers.

Welcome to the rock!

Greenwing isnt terribly effective right now in hardcore gaming but is fine for casual use. It will be difficult to have a mixed wing army at 1000pts. I would recomend mixing all 3. They were designed to compliment one another and do so well.

Its a really fun army to play though and the fluff rocks!

If you wanted to stay mostly greenwing I'd go with these units.

Tacticals in Rhinos for troops with a melta in the squad or use 5 man squads in razorbacks if you want more of other stuff

Typhoon speeders with multi-meltas (cheap anti-tank)

Autocannon preds with Las Cannon Sponsons (more points efficient than devastators for anti-tank)

Deathwing squads equipped with thunder hammer and storm shields (best assault unit DA have)

Have one troop choice per 500 points as a rough guideline. I'd probably also take Belial as your HQ as he's simply great for his points and would make your terminators troops. If not go for bare bones captain or an interrogator chaplain.

You could make a fluffier list but this will stick with your theme of greenwing without gimping you too badly competitively.

Edit: And welcome to the Dark Angels ;)

Edit 2: Autocannon preds not assault cannon. Thanks Harleqvin

If you want to do strictly greenwing (although I'd recommend some death and ravenwing mixed in) then two tactical squads are mandatory. For a good greenwing CC option I'd say take Azrael and a squad of company vets loaded out for CC. They really do make an excellent and very hard hitting unit, but are expensive and less efficient than deathwing.

Assault Cannon preds with Las Cannon Sponsons (more points efficient than devastators for anti-tank)

DA can't do Assault Cannons on Preds (current codex,) or Razors for that matter for extra salt in our wounds.

did you mean Autocannon or Twin-linked Las?

I'll echo the others in this thread and suggest that a couple of tactical squads, a transport or two and a Predator will form a solid core to your force. In terms of transports, I'd be incline to go for one Razor and one Rhino. Keep one squad at ten men for the Rhino and split the other in two so that you can field a heavy weapon on your base line. Assault squads aren't currently that effective so a company veterans squad should do you nicely and you can add a chaplain to give them extra punch. Alternatively, a company master will make all your marines Ld10, which isn't to be sniffed at.

After that a Ravenwing speeder can add some firepower where you need it most and adds some flavour to your army. A lot will depend on the opponent you face of course. Devastators can work too if you're looking to add numbers.

Welcome to the Rock!

I too got into Dark Angels with Greenwing as my objective.... though, it has become Ironwing. In my beginning games I ran a Company Master, 2 5-man combat squads, 2 5-man Company Veterans, and a Venerable Dreadnought. However, after the first couple of games it was obvious to everyone who played me that I really lacked that extra "punch" that other armies bring to the fight. I ended up adding 3 Razorbacks to pick up on my speed and it's done wonders!

Today, I use the above but I've added a Landraider for the tactical Marines (easy objective holder), a squad of Deathwing, and a battle force of Ravenwing. Running all three wings at the same time is where Dark Angles really come into their element! I love it! Though my focus is still and always will be Greenwing/Ironwing, it is nice to have the tactical flexibility that the other Wings bring to my army.

Archived