Cleaning plastic kits

Hi all,

I bought a Rhino kit with no box from Ebay recently, and it was delivered wrapped up in brown parcel tape. My fears were realised when I removed the tape and it left residue all over the kit...

I have got most of it off now, but there are still sticky/tacky patches that I cannot get rid of. I've tried various household chemicals to get to where I have, but I am reluctant to try anything much "stronger" without a recommendation as I don't want to ruin my Rhino!

So, do any of you have any suggestions of what I could use to clean my rhino? I'm thinking something like nail varnish remover next, but I thought (tested on a bit of sprue first) I would try here bofore I do anything else.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Don't use nail varnish remover. Most products contain the same chemical solvent as is used in citadel plastic glue and other polystyrene adhesives. Basically, it will melt your plastic models quite severely.

Have you tried the bath approach? Force it to soak in something like a water/simple-green mix for 24 hours and that may help. Also, perhaps you might try "goo gone" ( http://www.googone.com/ ) or an equivalent -- now I've never used the product on models but it is designed to remove gunky residues. I might try it on sprue first to test for safety.

Don't use nail varnish remover. Most products contain the same chemical solvent as is used in citadel plastic glue and other polystyrene adhesives. Basically, it will melt your plastic models quite severely.

Unless you use acetone-free nail polish remover, like I do, then plastic models will be fine so long as you don't leave them in it for longer than half an hour or so.

Archived