Battle Report: 1,500 Raven Guard vs. Tyranids

Brother Grius

Played a game with my Raven Guard tonight. 1,500 points vs Tyranids at a new shop. My new multi-meltas didn't do a thing, since we played on an 8'x4' table, everything was a stretch for range.

The Raven Guard

Kayvaan Shrike

8 Assault Marines with Flamer

Tactical Squad (One Plasma & Combi Plasma, Multi-melta)

Librarian with Avenger & Gate of Infinity

Tactical (One Flamer and Combi-Flamer, Multi-melta)

..both in Drop Pods

5 Scouts with Missile Launcher and Sergeant Telion

5 Scouts with Boltguns and Power Fist

3 Scout Bikers with Locator Beacon and Power Fist

2 Land Speeder Typhoons with Heavy Bolters

The Nids

12 Termagaunts

7 Warriors with Bone Swords and the Tyranid Prime

10 Genestealers Outflanking

Tyrranofex with Scything Talons and 2+ Armour

Carnofex w/ Crushing Claws in Mycetic Spore

3 Lictors

I really didn't understand if my opponent had a strategy here. He set up his objective on his far left and deployed his Termagaunts on the far right. Put his Tyrranofex right in the middle and put his Warriors right next to it.

I won turn one and brought a Tactical Squad in 18" away from his Tyrranofex, and Shrike assaulted the Gaunts and killed them all, casually consolidating away from the Warriors. The Tyrranofex saved vs all wounds.

He moves his Warriors toward Shrike and runs them 5", and moves his Tyrranofex forward and shoots at my Speeders, which make their cover saves. That's it.

Shrike moves away, and I continue to harass the Tyrranofex with snipers and scout bikers and boltgun scouts, but it keeps saving and has moved out of range of my Tacticals. I take down 3 Warriors with shooting from the Speeders and easilly avoid the footslogging behemoths with Shrike and the Scouts.

His Genestealers come in and he gets a 6 for the Outflank, choosing the side where they could charge Shrike with a decent fleet. They don't get it though, and it's a failed charge. The Tyrranofex blunders forward and shoots down one speeder. The warriors keep running and can't catch anything. The Lictors show up and take down 2 snipers in Telion's squad, which flees 7" and regroups right away in fresh cover.

My other speeder was shaken, so it turbo boosts away as my Second Tactical shows up with the Librarian in the drop pod. They proceed to burninate the heck out of the Lictors with two Flamers and Avenger, but one Lictor survives. My Scouts see their chance and pounce on the Tyrranofex just out of the Warrior's range, since they've been chasing Shrike unsuccessfully. Shrike's squad Flamers the Genestealers and fire pistols, killing all but one. Lightning claws dispatch the last. The Tyrannofex gets punched to death, killing only one Scout biker, and the scouts consolidate 5" away (putting them about 14" from the Warriors with no guns).

The Carnifex lands dead center of the table and the 4 remaining Warriors run toward my unguarded objective. They don't quite make it to cover, and the one remaining Lictor charges my Librarian, inflicting one wound, taking one wound and using hit & run successfully. The nids are in bad shape and can't do much else.

The Scout Bikers and Scouts with Powerfist come around the hill in the middle to give the Carnifex a Knuckle sandwich, and Shrike moves to a safe spot waiting to take on the Warriors. My second Tactical Squad rapid fires on and flames the last Lictor, while my first Tactical Squad is just sitting 33" away on the enemy objective, totally uncontested. My speeder takes out two more warriors, leaving just one and the Tyranid Prime and Shrike fleets ready to charge the last two.

Tyranids concede, I have mixed feelings.

I don't think my opponent had a terrible list or was really bad, but I don't think he's ever faced 4 Infiltrators, 2 Deep Strikes and a first turn assault before. Things just went from bad to worse for the Tyranids, and the only full unit I lost were the three scout bikers. Raven Guard won with 1 objective contesting the second with the enemy conceding. Very solid victory, but I kinda felt bad for making the bugs chase me all game.

Archived