A new Unforgiven

Frejdruk

I'm away from my computer for the weekend (posting from my phone) but I can certaintly tweak the decals for you when I get back. Sorry about the green wings, honestly thought they were that color from your picturrs. Must've been a trick of the light, weird... Oh, and the program I used was "Paint.Net". It's free, you can find it with a quick google search.

)

As for the color schemes for the different Wings, I totally think you should go for it. Switching up color schemes is a great way to keep painting your army fresh, I think. The inverted scheme for the deathwing and black-and-bone scheme for your ravenwing sound like they'll look pretty awesome!

After having decided to go ahead and paint my librarian, sitting down and actually getting everything out, I found that I had no urge to paint him, and instead wanted to build a biker captain. One of the reasons I wanted to make a space marine army of some sort when I started 40k was to have the opportunity to gather bits from all different sorts of boxes, and combine them to easily make characterful, unique, models. The librarian was a first example of this, but a biker captain is even cooler!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/framifraringn.jpg

He's kitbashed from various bits I managed to 'loan' from friends or order from bits-sites. The bike and body is a ravenwing biker, of course, while the head is from Sanguinary Guards with a blood droplet cut away, and the backpack is from the generic commander kit.

At first I had a single of those raven-headed backpoles, but then I realised that the sergeant from DV has two of them; surely my captain cannot have any less ;)

Here's a picture of the captain from his right:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/svaumlrdsida.jpg

The sword is from a grey knight, though I had to shorten the handle since it used to be held by two hands. Due to the way I wanted him to heroically point forward/towards the sky, I had to sculpt a little of that between-armour-mesh the marines have, both here, and as you can see in the picture above, in his right armpit. It'll have to do.

Of course a proper knight cannot ride to war without a shield! This one's stolen from a Men-at-arm I painted ... well, a very long time ago! The shield is a huge tower shield to the men-at-arms, but I think it fits perfectly here :rolleyes:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/skoumlldsida.jpg

What do you think of him? I'm quite satisfied to be honest, but any ideas improving him further would be welcome :) I decided that the 2nd company won't use a different colour scheme than the rest of the chapter, but I'm still considering letting the terminators use an inverted scheme.

And here's how he'll look bearing down on a Fallen ;)

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/hesgonnagetya.jpg

Wow, that's looking real good! Really like the positioning of the sword hand, nice work. I love kitbashing too (check out my Librarian seconded to the Deathwatch thread. I made him from commander, command squad, and dark angels veteran boxes.) Nice work on the flag poles, I originally thought it was the two-banner bike from the DV boxset.

My only question, being away from my codex right now, can the Company Master even take a bike and/or storm shield?

Haha after looking it up seems that you are right! That's an embarrassing mistake :D I will have to pin my hopes on the coming codex :P If not, he'll be a badass sergeant I guess! Until the new codex it seems rather unlikely that he'll get fielded at all, and if he does I will have to think of something. Maybe using the normal SM codex; I started off using codex: space marines, and to be honest that's the reason I just assumed that the company master could take a bike and a storm shield! To be honest, he'd probably only see play in either a smaller game or in a predominantly biker list, and if I play that before the new codex, I'll probably do it using C:SM (heresy :P ). But as I said, I will have to hope he'll be legal in the upcoming codex!

Haha after looking it up seems that you are right! That's an embarrassing mistake :) I will have to pin my hopes on the coming codex :D If not, he'll be a badass sergeant I guess! Until the new codex it seems rather unlikely that he'll get fielded at all, and if he does I will have to think of something. Maybe using the normal SM codex; I started off using codex: space marines, and to be honest that's the reason I just assumed that the company master could take a bike and a storm shield! To be honest, he'd probably only see play in either a smaller game or in a predominantly biker list, and if I play that before the new codex, I'll probably do it using C:SM (heresy :( ). But as I said, I will have to hope he'll be legal in the upcoming codex!

I hate when that happens! You could always save him as an Allied Detachment HQ choice from Codex: SM, if you ever want to take a unit from there (like Sternguard or an Ironclad Dread).

Perhaps your chapter's 7th Reserve Company (10 assault squads) also has non-Ravenwing Bikers, represented by taking bike squads from C:SM. Maybe this guy can be your stand-in for Kor'Sorro Khan and be used as a quasi Company Master for the 7th Company.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished a Rhino, as part of the Path to Redeption event:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/3.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g383/Frejdruk/2.jpg

Even got the chapter symbol on the top hatch! Really quite satisified with it :)

This is the first time I've finished a tank for warhammer 40k by the way, which is a bit embarrassing. Painting a tank is something I've almost dreaded doing for quite a while, having no idea how to go about it. Those huge, flat surfaces seem alien to a guy originally coming from warhammer fantasy :D In the end I went for a simple, wash-heavy, trial run, and found that it turned out good enough, I think, what with not spending that much time on it. Nor really knowing how to do it :D

Both my tactical squads are glued together with meltaguns and combi-meltas, but now with 6th edition I'm considering changing that. Plasma guns seem to be the new black, but my army have, as ever, huge problems facing horde armies, so I'm considering flamers. The main problem is of course how incredibly close my marines have to be to use a flamer to good effect, which generally seems like a bad idea versus hordes. All in all, plasma gun and combi-plasma is what I'm looking at. But tell me, what are your opinions?

Talking about hordes; I faced a Space Wolf/IG horde army a couple of days ago. 45 grey hunters, each with dual plasma and a terminator wolf guard, and a huge blob of 40 guardsmen (containing primaris psyker (I think), Njal, and 4 power axes). I played pretty much my old 5th edition army list, but with a Land Raider Crusader switched to 5 tactical terminators (yes, C:SM :) ) and got completely trashed. Disheartening to say the least, haha! He just walked up towards me and shot me to death.

Anyway, a rhino done! Which brings the total completely painted point total up to.. something too low to count really :P I suppose I should finish a tactical squad or something next, but we'll see :)

Archived