Heated copper look

I have been looking for a way to create the look of heated metal to help my plasma weapons look like they have been used a lot. I have never been a fan of the soot marked barrel for plasma weapons, it's good for flamers, meltas and missiles but not in my opinion plasma. Anyone have any tips on how to create this look?

I can't really think of any other way that a metal weapon would show signs of heat wear and still be functional. If the barrel was melted or flawed in some way, the weapon would be taken out of service because it would be too dangerous to continue operating it. That's kinda what happens to metal when it's heated: it scorches, it weakens, it distends, it fatigues...if anything but the first part happens to a plasma gun, it's pretty much wrecked.

I have been looking for a way to create the look of heated metal to help my plasma weapons look like they have been used a lot. I have never been a fan of the soot marked barrel for plasma weapons, it's good for flamers, meltas and missiles but not in my opinion plasma. Anyone have any tips on how to create this look?

Unfortunately, you are out of luck. Heated copper is black.

Native copper (Cu) is the orangey colour we know and love. Heat it in oxygen and it becomes Cu2O, which is a vibrant red colour, heat it some more and it goes to CuO, which is black.

The Tamiya weathering range sounds like your best bet -

Tamiya site

There's video tutorials etc, should all be useful.

Incidentally I bought myself the A-set last weekend (sand/light sand/mud) and it's excellent.

Colour-wise the photos on that page are not great. It's a reddy-orange for `sand`, a yellowy-brown for `light sand` and a dull brown lastly for `mud` which really looks like wet mud.

Currently in the process of using `Sand` to dirty up my marines' feet and it's great.

I'd recommend looking at them in a shop rather than choosing them from the images on the site.

For heated steel I'd go with silver-sepia wash-purple wash-silver, washed with blue wash

For reference:

Picture of heated steel

Archived