Custom Brass Etches

Pr0fane

Good day to all you Astartes fans. Although I've actually been subscribed to this forum since 2003, this is my first real post. And yes, it's a question.

Like many of you; I'm working away at my own DIY Chapter, the Stone Lyons. Having been a games developer for the past 6 years or so, I just could not use an out-of-the-box Chapter. I've accumulated a fair number of bits to represent my Chapter's lion silhouette heraldry from hunting down copies of that one Astral Claws terminator shoulder pad and the beautiful stuff from Scibor. But now I need the rank & file stuff. The "flat" heraldic symbols typically painted onto vehicles and shoulder pads.

So, what I'm looking for now, is anybody that has actually had some custom brass etch (or photo etch) sheets manufactured? I've got a few queries that I'm waiting to hear back on but so far, only one reply. In the $500 USD range which is totally not an option.

Hasslefree Minis

are a lovely company; although getting quite big now, they are still basically a husband-and-wife company, so are worth approaching regarding custom work.

They already do etched brass foliage, barbed wire and architectural pieces.

Alternatively, contact companies that make "Gobos" for lighting equipment. A gobo is an etched metal disk used to cast a silhouette in a theatre or moving light: anything from prison window bars and leaf breakups, to flat lines for disco lights.

Gobo manufacturers can take any image, convert it to a stamping tool, then stamp out as many as you like: typically a 26mm image costs £30-50 for the stampto be made, then £10 for each gobo stamped out.

Plenty of gobo manufacturers now do super-cool business cards using the same process, in stainless or brass! :lol:

I think there are DIY kits to make your own etchings. There are also quite a lot of tutorials around the web. It might be worth looking into making them yourself, if you don't have a problem with handling the chemicals involved.

Thanks for the great replies, everybody.

Commander Sasha; Hasslefree (I am a HUGE fan) actually have theirs made by PK-Pro/Aztech. Pinselknecht of PK-Pro actually got back to me this morning with some particulars so there's a good possibility I'll go that route. Never heard of "gobos" before so I'll definitely research that too.

Maligoare; decals are worth looking into...although a second choice for me. I'll be looking into Bell of Lost Souls though, thanks for that.

Durus; yeah..that sounds hella scary. LOL Me & chemicals sounds...dangerous.

Archived