Clouseau Rhino Project

araekyus

Brilliant, cast this up and sell it on! I wouldn't hesitate to buy one :)

Glad you like it :)

As for casting it up, yes i have plans to do so because i require more. I also have to get more made as gifts for a few dear old friends whom i grew up and together in the 40k hobby with. Will i actually cast to sell them?

No. (not ruling it out completely, however)

Simply because i based this tank around someone else's templates and not my own drawings and drafts. Sure, i did modify the original design (quite a bit in some areas), but in the end the basic isn't my own. I do not wish to profit off of someone else's idea, even tho Clouseau may be gone (?) from the hobby, it is still his. (again, not set in stone)

The way i figure it, i love this design. And search-fu did yield few examples of finished models. My aim was to: 1) Put this rhino variant back on the map. 2) Provide all the brothers here with WIP shots in hopes that the idea will continue by way of their own scratch builds. 3) To have something different (and perhaps a bit more to scale :) ) to cart my Brotherhood around the tabletop.

I hope i didn't disappoint anyone for my views on selling cast versions of this model :/

EDIT: I am still mulling over the idea of making this available as a kit. I have not ruled it out completely, I just don't wish to get C&D'd just because i want to share a cool model with folks. And there is the setup of equipment, raw material, time, etc that would make this a tad rough to get started up.

Good work on this old design, can't wait to see it finished. As for casing it up call it the Clouseau pattern to give credit and do it anyways, he did after all ripoff a bunch of people to my knowledge.

Grey.

Good work on this old design, can't wait to see it finished. As for casing it up call it the Clouseau pattern to give credit and do it anyways, he did after all ripoff a bunch of people to my knowledge.

Grey.

Thanks for the kudos :) And aside from whatever he had done in the past (first ive heard of anything like that), you do have a point. I can keep the pattern name for credit reasons, perhaps giving it a MKIII ( or higher) designation. There may be enough variation in the design to reason with casting to sell. I'll have to look into it (assuming i can get the molding correct and not mess it up)

yup, big time disappointed. i wanted a few dozen.

-_-

Would you consider posting your designs online so that we can have a bash at replicating your efforts? Have to say I love the aesthetic and would love to try making one myself.

I would be happy to once i complete all the finishing work. The model has not been glued together yet (and i have been resisting the urge to do so haha) so i can make the attempt to post pics with some instructions and notes on how it was done.

I just wanted to toss in some praise and respect to the mix and say that this is some really great work. I've had a copy of these concept sketches for quite some time. (I wish I could have come up with the design!) Seeing yours coming to life just makes me want to build one several, all the more.

From what you've said, I think you're aware that saying 'cast it up and sell some' is much easier said than done. Especially if you've never done resin casting, be ready for the learning curve, and the time and effort it will take. That said, the process is a very rewarding one, and there's something deeply satisfying about seeing a final product produced from a prototype you've built.

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to see where this project progresses.

Great design. Since you mentioned a turret, does this mean the "Clouseau Rhino" is a stretched Razorback? As for firing points, I was expecting holes drilled into the doors, so a bolter or heavy bolter muzzle can fire from inside the vehicle.

Great design. Since you mentioned a turret, does this mean the "Clouseau Rhino" is a stretched Razorback? As for firing points, I was expecting holes drilled into the doors, so a bolter or heavy bolter muzzle can fire from inside the vehicle.

Well, when i say turret, i actually mean the standard crew hatches you get with any SM kit now. The Razorback, Whirlwind, Predator and Vindicator versions of this beasty are still in thoughts as how to go about doing it. the turret mount for the razorback will most likely be a 'cap' that drops onto the rear twin crew hatches to take a standard RB mount. Same with the vindicator, although that would be placed onto the front, most likely offset. Haven't given thought to the WW and the pred yet.

in game terms, you can have two marines fire from a rhino. its assumed that the rear top hatch on the normal kit is where they fire from, as some players will physically put two models on the rhino. The twin hatches i made are just another way to represent that.

Would you consider posting your designs online so that we can have a bash at replicating your efforts? Have to say I love the aesthetic and would love to try making one myself.

I would be happy to once i complete all the finishing work. The model has not been glued together yet (and i have been resisting the urge to do so haha) so i can make the attempt to post pics with some instructions and notes on how it was done.

I for one would be very pleased to see either designs or a tutorial for this vehicle. It's amazing what can be done with a little plasticard. :P

I for one would be very pleased to see either designs or a tutorial for this vehicle. It's amazing what can be done with a little plasticard. :(

Hummm... *Makes a mental note*

I just wanted to toss in some praise and respect to the mix and say that this is some really great work. I've had a copy of these concept sketches for quite some time. (I wish I could have come up with the design!) Seeing yours coming to life just makes me want to build one several, all the more.

From what you've said, I think you're aware that saying 'cast it up and sell some' is much easier said than done. Especially if you've never done resin casting, be ready for the learning curve, and the time and effort it will take. That said, the process is a very rewarding one, and there's something deeply satisfying about seeing a final product produced from a prototype you've built.

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to see where this project progresses.

Yeah, ive done a little bit of resin casting on my own using starter kits, lego boxes and high hopes for small pieces and bases ive done. But something this size has me pricing out pressure pots and compressors now because i do not want to loose detail. Funding aside, i may just resort to the hand pour method now that i have some experience at it. We shall see. I may also try getting a quote from a mold making/casting foundry if i can find one within a reasonable distance to me.

I for one would be very pleased to see either designs or a tutorial for this vehicle. It's amazing what can be done with a little plasticard. ;)

Hummm... *Makes a mental note*

:P

Oh, I was definitely thinking of your examples while I wrote that, too. :)

• 1 month later...

Been a awhile since an update. Not to worry, i am still working on this project! Most of the time has been spent getting the casting done right. Been a tad frustrating but i do believe i have it down. Well, at least with out vacuum tools for now (thats coming soon heh)

So here is what i have so far:

gallery_35302_7108_93771.jpg

after some failures with quick set resin, i switched to a 20 minute pot life. enough time to 'paint' the resin into the mold and pick out the bubbles with a sculpting tool. Quite satisfied with the result

gallery_35302_7108_46862.jpg

the turret mount in resin for your various weapon add-ons.

gallery_35302_7108_443003.jpg

decided to not go with basic LR doors. Looked too bland and needed some detail. So I came up with this. Simple rounded hinge at the bottom. Rivets will be added soon

gallery_35302_7108_573627.jpg

mock up of the doors attached

gallery_35302_7108_1014096.jpg

mock up pt 2. please excuse my fingers :(

Will post shots of the top plate soon, as I have done a 99.99% perfect cast of it.

As always C&C welcome. Enjoy!

Took some shots of the first successful cast of the top plate:

gallery_35302_7108_374358.jpg

A few micro bubbles came out and I did loose one rivet from the rear hatches, other than that, a decent first cast.

gallery_35302_7108_1154716.jpg

Side by side of the prototype and the copy.

So far, all the molds done are one piece and the resin is a slow set type to allow for air bubble removal and to be painted into the deeper and detailed areas.

A vacuum pump and a pressure pot is on the list of tools to get right now. Total for the gear should run about 200 USD, so not too bad. All hail Harbor Freight:) Air bubbles, I will defeat you.

Hope to post more work soon.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Another small update. Finished the one piece mold for an entire track section. Here are the results:

gallery_35302_7108_540089.jpg

98% success! Very happy with how this turned out. The loss of detail was extremely minimal, even on the treads. Only bad part was I had to put the cast back in the mold and pour a second layer due to the flat side being sunk in. But that layer paid off and all is well now.

Next up, second track unit and the chassis. Enjoy!

hey, this is amazing! Where did you get the rivets from / how have you made them? Thanks

Glad you like it:)

The rivets are made by first drilling a hole, then dropping a bit of plastic weld in said hole. Then insert a plastic rod of the same size as the drillbit. Let the weld do its thing, then snip the rod about where the rivet height should be. Sand down to taste.

Found this method easier for my needs than hand placing with tweezers:)

• 2 weeks later...

I humbly present the 98% complete first cast of the 'Clouseau' MK IIIa Pattern Rhino :D

gallery_35302_7108_779853.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_637776.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_122134.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_542060.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_633497.jpg

gallery_35302_7108_525169.jpg

Presented here with a standard GW crew hatch.

The engine stacks are blu tacced on for the now as i do need to do some more sanding and trim work on them.

The inner rear track sides will have detail added in the form of another cast plate that is in the prototyping phase on my desk at the moment. Also the front inner track side near the nose armour will get some detail parts as well. Just trying to decide what to put there.

All this was done with one piece block molds, slow set resin which was painted into the detail first then slow poured in to at the lowest point in the mold, excess scraped down with a bondo scraper, then left to cure on my bookshelf. No vacuum done. (yet;)

There are still faults in this cast. Missing rivets, the odd pocket tidied up with contour putty, weird over flow, gaps (ohhh the gaps drove me insane for days) and what seems like some kind of brown dust particles in some areas, although very tiny. But it is a learning curve so I will try to be more diligent in solving those issues with my next batches.

I am quietly pleased with how this turned out, and I hope you all enjoy it:)

C&C most welcome as always.

Side Note: A few posts back, I mentioned that I would try to create a detailed breakdown of how the prototype was put together. Sadly, in order for me to do this I would have to utterly dismantle it and the pieces would most likely get damaged by doing so. Many apologies for this. Next project, I'll try to create a better break down as during progress (and stop using my damn iphone for pics haha)

Looks stunning brother. Any ideas brewing for what your next project is going to be?

As for the next project, not quite sure yet. I've been thinking about making variants of a dread drop pod, thunderfire cannon, land raider and a land speeder. tho the land raider im kind leaning away from because there are a lot of versions out now.

the others would be fun to do, especially the land speeder. kinda want to do my take on the old deodorant bottle speeder from ancient times.....:)

Archived