Paulochromis

Hi people,

My search-fu is has revealed no less than 5 recommended setups:

2xPG, [Apo or Banner]

2xMG, [Apo or Banner]

2xFL

2xPW, [banner]

2x PW, PF [Apo + Banner]

Squad could be a distraction unit (drop pod) and/or firebase (backfield - razorback, midfield - rhino) and/or objective sitter/counter-charge.

Seems like I'm going to need a lot of magnets!

Looking for suggestions.

Rest of the Army is:

-- Belial,

-- TDA Libby,

-- 2-4 DW squads (mixed arms - looking to add 5th squad all TH/SS),

-- TLC/ML dread,

-- MM/DCCW/HF dread,

-- AC/LC pred.

Cheers, Paul.

P.S. DA Vets boxset doesn't have a decent banner, nor the Apo bits, is the Command Squad box the only place to get them (+ bits stores of course).

A quick reply on your Q;

First of all the Apo brings FNP to the Sqd, and the Banner brings an additional A on the charge.

Now, the PG/MG are the same and different at the same time, both are heavy hitters. The PG is a Rapid fire weapon allowing two shots with the Gets Hot option. And the MG is a simple Melta Gun.

Looking at the worthwhile differences the MG is the best option for two reasons. First it is not a Gets Hot Wpn requiring a save. Second it is not a Rapid fire weapon that negates the charge. Now listen to what I am saying.

Charge or receive the charge.... A unit charging can not fire Rapid fire (PG) weapons, so should not have the PG's, MG's will work better. The same unit should have the Banner & Apoth giving +1A for everyone & FNP...

If you are receiving the charge then you probably wont be able to use either the PG/MG anyway...

My favored Command Sqd Load is with Azzi, Asmodi, Banner, Apoth, 2X MG's, 2X PS/PP, Champion in a LRC/LRP. Yes I do make sure that I get the charge.

The Banner/Apo options are usually a points cost thing for most people who don't know how to play a mini Deathstar and want to objective sit...

A Dev Sqd with Tactical support is fine for holding OBJ's. An Aslt Sqd is fine for counter Assault.

HQ's w/Cmd Sqds are line breakers if used correctly.

Looking at your army comp I am wondering why you are even thinking of a PA Cmd Sqd. I would add a TDA Cmd Sqd to Belial and go from there. Don't forget the Int Chappi...

TDA Cmd Sqd: 2X TLC, 3X TH/SS, CML, Apoth, Banner.

So are you thinking of repainting your Blue armour to Green???

Thanks for the replies.

The army is for my son (age 9), who has a DW army. He already has 4 terminator squads built, with a 5th squad planned (need to get more TH/SS in since the FAQ). We'll probably tweak one of the squads (he has one with a HF) to add the Apo.

He has expressed an interest in adding PA marines. I asked around to see what people thought would be the best addition, and a command squad was the most popular. I did some research and was not able to identify, conclusively, an optimal loadout, hence the post.

Whilst a LR is on the cards, its likely to be a while off yet. I'm afraid that probably means your mini-deathstar is out of contention.

I do have unpainted rhinos/razorbacks and even a drop pod to donate, hence the loadouts I suggested.

Once again, thanks for the replies, I'll see what else turns up.

Cheers, Paul.

P.S. I will not be changing my UMs!

I have just magnetised the CC scouts for my son so I know your pain :(

I managed with just two magnets on the torsos and nail heads in each of the arms so the magnet cost was not too excessive. Now the scouts can have Bolt pistol/knife or shotguns or Bolters.

Keeps him happy :P

I have 2mm dia x 1.5mm deep rare earth magnets,

1mm x 25mm steel nails

Drill a hole in the shoulder using a 2mm drill bit, just deep enough to take the magnet.

Super glue in the magnet, one on either side ;)

Drill 1mm holes in the arms and glue in a section of steel rod (I use nails as they are dirt cheap).

I will try to add photos to this text tomorrow as I have just read my explanation and confused myself :P

Sorry for the hijacking Paul! :(

I will try to add photos to this text tomorrow as I have just read my explanation and confused myself :(

Dont worry,my mind is working...strangely,i perfectly understood.Thanks for the heads up.I did my first drilling yesterday,so i might give it a try at some point.

I often like the 2 plasma gun + apothecary combo (with the other 3 marines having bolters). To complement a Deathwing army, though, which is generally short of melta, I'd go with 2 melta guns + apothecary (other 3 marines having chainswords -- consider adding the occasional meltabomb too).

Archived