Terrain and Objectives (Necron building kit)

Thanks.

At first I sprayed them both with Tamiya TS-42 (light gun metal - a little lighter than Leadbelcher) but I thought it would be a bit difficult to weather in a generic way I could have put red dust on so it matched with my Mars-based armies but that would have limited me using it with others).

med_gallery_63428_6758_1996061.jpeg

So then sprayed it with a light grey Tamiya primer, figuring that I could do a bit of dry brushing and sponging to weather it and probably get a better result. Since I had my airbrush out I quickly sprayed a little dark grey in recesses and around panels too. Just quickly and not so neatly as you can see. :D

med_gallery_63428_6758_932763.jpeg

They have now been sprayed with gloss varnish and I’ll put some decals on them, then mat them down and weather them.

... but that’s not likely to be for about a month as I’m going to be away for awhile.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

I didn’t end up getting any more of those hex-boxes...yet...but in the same shop last weekend found these:

med_gallery_63428_6758_290258.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6758_28174.jpeg

Stackable little metal boxes, with removable lids. I’ll be spraying them, decalling - maybe adding posters and graffiti - and weathering them. With magnets in the bases of minis, they would be a good way to transport a Kill Team :tu:

I got a green and a blue one like in the lower pic. Note that the ‘handles’ on the upper ones are just painted on rather than embossed, so would be equally good.

• 3 months later...

It only took about 3 hours to make and paint (much hairdryer use was involved) but I finished this campaign hex map yesterday for my son and I to use.

40k, AoS, it can be used for pretty much anything. I’m happy with how it turned out so I thought I’d post it and how I made it. And what I’d do differently if I did it again (or when I do another).

The aim was to make a small map with varied terrain that would give us the chance to battle in different environments, including if a sector was fought over again and again, we could change the battlefield a bit each time (e.g. a battle in a city might use an urban setting once but a wall siege the next time, a clash in sewers the next). Desert, volcano, mountains (and thus caves/mines), forest/jungle, river, grasslands, varied sizes of settlements, a remote wizard’s tower/comms tower, an island, etc.

The paints were, but for a few greens at the end, all cheap craft paints. The materials were all from the 100 yen store (cork, paper clay, photo frame) and some sand. And some sprue.

med_gallery_63428_6841_337580.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_550998.jpeg

And it is a bit 3D

med_gallery_63428_6841_1123564.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_418448.jpeg

And how it was made:

med_gallery_63428_6841_363363.jpeg

Cork hexes glued in place, sprue for buildings, slathered in PVA.

Oh, the mountain range and volcano were built up with a hot glue gun in several passes.

Not actually PVA here for the sea but something called ’paper clay’. Any kind of cheap filler or putty would work. Or PVA :)

med_gallery_63428_6841_417604.jpeg

Remote comms tower/missile silo/wizard’s tower in a forest/jungle.

med_gallery_63428_6841_604655.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_644175.jpeg

Lake

med_gallery_63428_6841_903762.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_270119.jpeg

The sea done but for gloss varnish

med_gallery_63428_6841_532200.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_38074.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_558121.jpeg

Here I applied some old flock to make the forest areas but they turned out far lighter than the grasslands so, as you can see from the finished pics at the top, I reversed the colours.

Things I would do differently if I redid it:

- Have the river winding and branching. Not just one route to the sea.

- A gap between the hex tiles. Just a bit.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across my hex base set a couple of weeks ago. Might just have to go back and paint it properly, just did it as ash-waste back then. Looking good there!

Please do! I’d love to see it.

Went through the log and love what I have been seeing!

Thanks!

Man, those cacti, lol. Brings back a lot of memories to my earliest days in the hobby. I remember just going nuts and making a heap of them coz they were the only terrain I could manage. Please say you have a pot of Goblin Green lying around...

I think I have a pot though it may need some rehydrating! I’ll check.

I haven’t done any more work on the fungus yet as I want to make two more and texture/paint all three at once. I know that if I do one I’ll never come back and finish the other two :D

Oh, one more thing - this thread is rather a rough collection of ideas that pop into my head and are lucky if they get finished, so here’s another one - this idea has been bubbling away in the back of my head for quite some time and late last night when I should’ve been going to bed I had some new thoughts on it so I got started on a prototype...

med_gallery_63428_6841_395261.jpeg

Yes, currently it just looks like a hinged box.

Hopefully tonight I can get a bit more done and you’ll get a better idea tomorrow :)

Mystery revealed!

med_gallery_63428_6841_48558.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_511575.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_362551.jpeg

Living in an apartment in Tokyo, storage space is extremely limited, but wargames need terrain...and terrain takes up a fair bit of space.

So, some years ago I had an idea -while reading a pop-up book to my son- and this is the prototype.

It looks pretty basic now but add floor panels (including some overlapping the diagonal cut in the floor to hide it), cables, wall panels, screens and doors, a ladder between floors...

Aaaand the idea is that it’s not just this one 90-degree section. I want to make it essentially four of what you see there, A attached to B, B to C and C to D. A and D will have small magnets in their outer corners so they stick together and the whole thing folds out as kind of an ‘open tower’.

That is the plan.

I made the above prototype with some leftover thick card but don’t have enough of that to make three more (and will probably change things a bit) so this weekend I’m getting some new materials and will get started on the Real Thing.

That is awesome!

If I may, and maybe I’m just not seeing your plan properly, but if you make 4 corners to one building, won’t that make it rather difficult to get to the models on the bottom floor?

Let this quick, drawn-with-my-thumb-while-I-walk diagram explain :D

med_gallery_63428_6841_39440.jpeg

It’s (somewhat like old Necromunda terrain) open-sided, though internal walls block LOS. That prototype is one quarter. With each of the boxes joined (in fact made) back to back, it folds out from one box into the building. Actually, now I think about it, I have a 40% off voucher to use at the craft store. I may as well do it.

It would double the amount of material used for the walls but I might make the doors openable (sliding).

Amazing idea, you'll be a millionaire by Christmas!

LOL!

If something like this comes up on Kickstarter in a month or two’s time I’ll be well annoyed! :D

Oh, silly me. I thought you were making a box, like the outer walls of a building. You’re making a building with no outer walls.

Basically, yes. I could make a ‘sheath’ that slips over the unfolded box, to give it an outer wall, though the lower areas would need some holes in the walls in order to make the ground floor accessible.

You could flip them around to make an enclosed building right? Just have doors on the bottom and windows on the top for units to move through, if you wish and viola!

This thing will be unstoppable.

Thanks

True, if I kept the 90-degree sections separate you could do that. Have magnets in the corners for secure connections, more interchangeable, etc.

But for the first one I make I’m going to keep it as one four-section block.

Did a bit more “how it’ll look” tinkering on the prototype.

med_gallery_63428_6841_102201.jpeg

Whilst the two cans of Chu-hai did get finished, the prototype was not.

• 2 weeks later...

med_gallery_63428_6841_186741.jpeg

I got to work on the model.

This is one of the three two-sided walls. Movable doors :tu:

It still needs detail adding (cupboards, panels, pipes/wires, screens, etc) but I’ll do that once I’ve got all of these wall-sections done. Hopefully I can get the others done tomorrow. Attaching the floors will come later.