LR Spartan - Bitzbox style

T14

Cheers guys. ;)

I've decided to skip the foamcore stage and get cracking with plastic-card right away. The pic below is another mockup. I fattened the snout a bit, but I think I might have overdone it.

gallery_6637_7162_179936.jpg

I have also started creating the spacers that will sit between the track section and the hull, allowing the snout to clear the track links. Strip styrene is a gift from the gods.

I find myself perusing the pics from FW open day over and over again. (front, side)I am really unsure about styling at this point.

Part of me wants to make it my own beast and part of me wants to keep it fairly adherent to FW detailing.

It is becoming clear that the assault ramp will be the size of a castle drawbridge :)

-T14

You are probably right mate :)

I've started constructing the box for the central hull. The track sections haven't been glued on yet as I want to finish hull construction and detailing before I add the tracks. I've also cut down and repositioned the top and bottom brackets for the sponson, as I needed to accommodate a taller gun. I will leave the lascannon unarmoured, and add some brass etch.

The tank will be half an inch or so wider than currently, as I will be adding an outer armoured skin to the central hull, and widen the track section spacers even more.

gallery_6637_7162_24619.jpg

Cheers

- T14

Definitely going to be smooth to assault out of this thing. Can you actually fit termies inside?

Yeah mate. With room to spare. I think i should be able to fit a standard termie in the hatch opening without needing to open the top hatch at all. Below is a WIP comparison shot with a vanilla LR hull.

gallery_6637_7162_48540.jpg

The main hull is approaching double-decker size for non-TDA crusaders.

-T14

Awesome awesome. I don't suppose you kept measurements for the off chance of posting templates of all the plasticard cuttings you made later?

Also, what thickness styrene are you using? .010? .015?

I will be able to provide templates for the main hull silhouette (already posted) and measurements for most sub-assemblies when I'm done. I plan and mock up most larger parts, which I tend to record. But I often do details on a whim.

I have a big stash of plasticcard and styrene strip in most sizes. My go to sheet thickness is 0.03" as it has a good balance of stiffness and ease of cutting (i'm lazy). If I need something to look bulky I tend to line it in my favorite strip size 0.10x0.06" and add another 0.03 sheet on top. That approach is much faster than sawing, sanding and tweaking 0.2" sheets. That being said I'm looking at using 0.2" sheeting for the pillbox roof. I'm also abandoning the arch shape as I couldn't get it to look right.

@ Olisredan Yessir. An operable hatch is in the works. And if the gods grant me strength I shall be doing some rudimentary detailing of the inside of the snout as well (diamond plate flooring, wall greeblies etc.)

Tonight I have glued on the main side armour and rear axle plate. The angles of the vanilla raider armour plates does not fit that of the RT kit, so I am adding greenstuff to blnd the new into the old style. No pics I'm afraid, as the camera battery is charging.

Cheers

-T14

Diamond plate flooring is easy. Get some sculpting/wireform mesh, and lay it down over the plasticard at whatever height makes you happy. Lay a framework box over it and it looks pretty good.

Yeah I don't need the detailing patterns. I'm like you, just detail whatever on a whim. As long as I have the basic shapes I'm good to go. I'll try to just make my own track for it, so I doubt I'll be cutting up 2 mkI landraiders to accomplish it. I do have a mkIII land raider I can sacrifice, though, if need be. I doubt I can get the doors to look right without some appropriate bits.

Thanks!

Your current pic, and seeing the termie inside the LR, made me quote "in the belly of the steel beast" from Indiana Jones.

Aw man, now I've got that soundtrack stuck in my head :)

I do have a mkIII land raider I can sacrifice, though, if need be. I doubt I can get the doors to look right without some appropriate bits.

Just saw the mkIII in half, add an inch and a half in the middle and reglue the thing and Bob's your uncle. Alternately I think Machinator still sells mkI style tracks in his webshop.

As for diamond plating I have around 20 sheets of it in a pile somewhere :)

Anyways. I couldn't help myself and ended fondling the camera anyway. Today's progress:

gallery_6637_7162_156811.jpg

I plan to stick searchlights in the corners of that recessed frame holding the Heavy Bolters

Cheers

-T14

• 1 month later...

Archived