Upcoming Ultramarines "Finecrap" releases

Hey chaps,

I just want to let you know that I recently talked to my LGS Manager and after mentioning that I'm a UM Player he told me that I should be delighted that besides Tigurius (which has already been confirmed) all UM Charakters (Cassius, Telion and Calgar in PA) will be released as (or in???) "Finecrap" next month.

So if you like the metal ones like me, make sure to place your order shortly :)

Means you weren't as delighted as the LGS Manager hoped?!

Did you get the models you wanted?

Just recently got the last model to get the whole set ( in metal )

Pretty happy with that, and only left to paint is Calgar.

Now if only I could grab that Calgar in term armour somewhere....

Yes, it's unfortunate. Sunday I ordered the Tyrannic war vets and Vets MkII to round out my 1st company force. I've been wanting them for a while but it was never that necessary to get them. Then I read that all current SM metals are going to Finecost on May 19 (so order by 11/5/12 or it'll be too late!) and I'd heard enough. There are too many large, smooth surfaces on marine armor, and having them all messed up because of Crapcast is definitely not appealing. Metals for me, thanks!

Have to say, I've had no issues with any finecast model, and can definitely see an improvement in both the level and quality of the detail on them, plus they're easier to clean up.

Granted it was badly released (who's surprised), with GW's "golly this is the best thing ever that happened to models, no really it's AMAZING" line, a more honest "Hey this is better than metal, easier to work with, and the cost of metal keeps going up so we don't like buying it" would've been better.

They seem to have by-and-large overcome the "teething" trouble with mould defects, and don't forget that Forgeworld is a wholly owned subsidiary on the same site, I'm sure they've been taking advantage of that experience with resin.

They also may have changed the recipe, Finecast is the brand not the formula.

This applies to almost the entire Marine range as of May 19th. The sweep will cover just about every metal Marine model, outside of the old classics in the Collector's section.

I've not bought any Finecast models yet, but am fond of metal myself because of the heft. I'd sorely love to get all of the Legion of the Damned models in metal, but don[t have the use for them right now. The upside of the Finecast switch is that the Legion models will come as a 4-pack, instead of making you buy several two-man blisters. The price will also hold steady from the metal price, so that's a thing.

Plus, the old metal upgrade kits like Iron Hands and White Scars will be getting the Finecast swap, and be sold separately from the squad boxes they used to come with, making them cheaper to acquire for those who already own the base models. (Tac squads, bike squads, etc).

If I remember correctly there might even be a few new things in the line up, not sure as I've seen the list only once.

With the finecast models I picked up some sternguard ones and I must say I like it. I had no problems with it and if I did I could have just walked over to the store and shown them what was wrong. Unless they changed that policy when I wasn't looking.

I've had a few pristine models and one that had a melted shoulderpad. Other then that, its easy to clean and not that bad. I just don't like finecast weapons, as anything a bit bigger then a dagger is in danger of bending or breaking with ease. Nothing that can't be fixed though

I'm still not happy with the finecast products. Most seem to show up pitted or warped. The pitting is not too bad, since you can use filler to even it out, but unlike a metal model warping can not be really fixed. I've made due since I usually have to wait a while to get them in. But, if I order a $50 thunderfire and it's warped, then it's going back.

Haven't had too many problems with finecast, although I can see the worries about flat surfaces. My raptors seem a bit pitted in the flat areas...

Don't play Ultramarines but have a secret ambition to do a mixed Ultramarines and Blood Raven army someday when I'm a better painter, partly out of pique as they both get bashed but I've always liked them.

Apparently Forge World now make all their small models in Finecast resin, which means my Commander Culln model is Finecast, and that was spotless, but then Forge World have a lot of experience with resin casting. One thing you can say about the the clear clampacks, you can look in them and get a good idea of the quality of the model inside.

I still see things like Eldrad with his mounting tab not cast properly.

GW really needs to work on their QA. In all my time buying metal models, only one (the original Emperor's Champion) had a misaligned mould (about 1mm misaligned, darn that was annoying). Of course larger models, the Master of the Ravenwing, Canis, and the original Karl Franz on Deathclaw, suffered a little from warping which isn't as easy to correct as resin.

Archived