Scout pants

ShinyRhino

I'm going to be adding some Scouts to my force in the near future, and have been looking for color schemes for their soft armor parts. Google Image Search really only shows folks using the grey/white and tan/ivory schemes.

Does anyone use a scheme other than the two above? A dark brown or green, perhaps? I don't have any particular problem with the khaki scheme, but would like to see how a non-standard soft armor scheme looks. I'm also concerned about how a khaki setup would look on Scouts wearing camo cloaks, as I plan to do those in olive or grey.

Any suggestions?

i used to use a drk grey base with striped camo.. was in the early days so not painted great, but grey is a good colour for cloaks and pants IMO.

ive seen green camo used to good effect too, but not on ultramarines scouts.

whatever colour you choose needs to balance well with the blue

Have you tried the interactive scout painter yet? A few of the preset colors (including UM blue) are a little off but not by much. The bigger problem of course is that GW discontinued all their old paints, but you can use their handy conversion chart here.

EDIT: Believe it or not the complement of OD is a powder blue, so you might want to try it with Castellan Green (formerly Catachan Green), Elysian Green (Camo Green), or Nurgling Green (Rotting Flesh). Remember if your models have darker UM blue armor you'll probably want to pair it with a lighter green and vice versa.

Thanks guys. I'd not yet used the Scout Painter. I poked around with it and tried some green/blue and tan/blue schemes. Green/blue does look kind of neat.

GW paint conversions aren't a problem for me...I don't use them. :) I'm a Reaper paint user.

One thing I forgot to consider is the bases of my army. I base on brown-painted sand, so green camo might not be all that useful in that environment. Of course, tan wouldn't either. Like this:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z43/goalie20/Warhammer%2040K/assault1front.jpg

I may end up sticking with GW-standard tan to create a contrasting color between the blue and the brown.

There is a toothbrush technique for applying a digital cammo like effect, why not something like that with just the UM pauldron as blue? The less your opponent can see the scouts the less of a target they become. On the other hand, bright shiny objects can attract alot of firepower...depends what you want the scouts to do. Our local store has mostly gray buildings, so a grey digital cammo would be best to minimize attention on the scouts. An alternate squad with green digital cammo (or even mars red) might be pretty cool too. Just a thought.

Archived