Defining Ultramarines

ironbear

So my LGS is running a finecast painting competition to "celebrate" the year anniversary of finecast.

Basically we have to enter a finecast model.

I love my power armoured armies, and usually found hanging out with my feral brothers in the fang or the secret brothers of grey knights, yet ive always had a love of the sicarius model.

So other than the blue armour, what defines you ultra guys??

I am not sure what exactly it is you are looking for. Are you asking about the visual style of the Ultramarines Chapter? Or are you asking about typical mannerisms, or traditions, or common traits attributed to them? Or their history, or their combat doctrine?

They're well defined, but like Legatus says, we kinda need to know what you're specifically looking for, because we have heaps and heaps of different ways to answer that.

I suspect you mean visually, given the aforementioned contest.

If that's the case, the Ultramarines are know for keeping their wargear in excellent condition.

They have a heavily Roman visual theme, and Greco-Roman theme overall.

They make use of helmet crests, balteus/cingulum militare, pugio, gladius (standard combat blade among the Ultramarines), etc.

They use clear systematic rank and unit markings on their armor.

Eagles and lions appear to be Guilliman's and the Ultramarines' heraldic animals to a degree, so it's not unlikely to see them featured on armor.

Lots of Agemo (℧) symbols all over the place, obviously.

The standard Chapter colors that you might encounter on any random Ultramarine are blue, white, gold and red, in that order.

Sometimes it's good to develop your own style of Ultramarines though. Mine are actually quite darkly painted, with Regal Blue (whatever it is now I don't know) over Ultramarines blue. There are quite a few different versions out there also, all of which look great in their own way.

Just stick to a blue and you can't go far wrong!

Archived