Which Predator is best Predator?

I'm starting on a minor Predator conversion soon - modifying the lower half of the turret so it's not a gigantic shell trap - and if I like the look I may submit it to the DA contest. So before I start cutting and gluing I'm wondering, have we ever decided which weapons configuration gives the most bang for the buck? TLLC+LCs? TLLC+HBs? AC+LCs? TLLC and no sponsons?

I suspect this is going to end up being a personal preference thing. Depends on regular opponents, composition of armies etc. For what it's worth, I prefer the Autocannon with Heavy Bolter sponsons version, but again, that's because my regular opponents are Imperial Guard and Orks.

Of that list the "never take" option is twin-linked lascannon + heavy bolters. A single lascannon shot is not reliable anti-armour and heavy bolters are wasted on armour. The twin-linked lascannon + lascannon is a good (but expensive) option when you want a dedicated anti-armour vehicle (if I ever make one it'll have Chronus in it, just because). The autocannon + lascannon option is popular for people who want a dedicated light armour vehicle with some ability to engage heavy armour. Autocannon + heavy bolters is an anti-infantry vehicle with some ability to engage light armour.

For my bike army, where fast melta is in every troop choice, I don't really need more anti-tank so my preference is for the autocannon + heavy bolters which for a measly 85 points is very good value.

There is no "best" option for the predator because it is a perfect "tailor to your opponent" unit.

Destructor w/ heavy bolters is great for clearing infantry.

Destructor w/ lascannons is great for cracking transports.

Annihilator w/ lascannons is great for destroying heavy armor.

I use the first and last with my Ultramarines and plenty of the middle one with my Word Bearers. I love all three, and all three have their place. A pair of annihilators tends to make very short work of enemy heavy armor. 6 lascannons, plus a typical land raider pouring out its las death means something will die. In a pinch they can wipe away terminators, paladins and other such units too. People may say that the annihilator is expensive, but really, what cheaper way is there to get 2 lascannons and a twin-linked lascannon? The next cheapest is 230 (devastators), and that is what I'd call pricey. It's a really cheap platform to get that much of that caliber of weapon in the army.

I used to love my Predator Annhilator with Heavy Bolter sponsons but the lack of movement and everything being Mechanised in 5th edition kind of ruined it for me. I do fancy getting more battle tanks into my Marine forces though, so might bring it back in 6th edition. :P

Right now, I agree with Seahawk's assessment on Predators.

Best version?

I go with the concept that battle tanks are for destroying other armored vehicles. Infantry Fighting Vehicles (IFVs) are for anti-infantry and destroying light armor if needed.

A predator is a tank. AC turret / LC sponsons is most cost effective way for a Predator to achive its primary mission. They made the TLLC turret too expensive (although it can be worth it). No other upgrades required, although that may change in the not to far future.

Archived