Maverike Primes Conversion challenge #8, Litanies and Legend

Raptors 10th Company Chaplain Egrim Kalistor "The Shadowmaker"

22 years. It was a record, though in Scout Sergeant Falyon’s mind it was a record he tried not to think about. Yet not for the first time in recent days ’22 years’ had planted itself within his surface thoughts once more. He crept forward towards the bridge in utter silence adapting his body stealthily without even having to think, as suited a member of the Raptors 10th Shadow Company.... especially one who had served for 22 years. He thought back to his first ever insertion mission as a shadow, operating in beloved Captain Chrysaetos’ 5th Company. The mission had been completed efficiently with minimal losses to his fellow shadow squad. He remembered the elation of withdrawing his blade from the dead lieutenant’s slowly cooling corpse. Sure in the knowledge that the fact he had gone above and beyond the missions parameters and killed the foul traitor would confirm his readiness to don the full plate of a battle brother.

Yet The Shadowmaker had put an immediate end to that foolish notion. He recalled The Chaplains face, the face that so inspired yet also placed the fear of the All Father deep into his soul. He remembered Kalistor in all his repressible glory that day. Dressed in his ancient unreflective black scout armour, his double handed Crozius dripping with enemy blood and his bare face, somehow even fiercer than his grotesque death mask. What he particularly remembered was the chaplain’s hand around his throat.

“You insolent bastard whelp! What use is a corpse to me, do you think that if I wanted him dead I could not achieve it myself. You fool! Are you a wolf, a berserker? The information in this man’s head is what the captain needs, not a bloodstained trophy to hang from his belt.”

Falyon shook as he pictured the chaplain’s anger. He also cringed as he recalled the thought his younger self had shown the audacity to even think. “One day I’m going to shove that Crozius somewhere that not even the light of the Emperor will shine.” At least he had not been foolish or impetuous enough to utter those words aloud.

Returning his mind to the present he checked on his latest charges, they had done themselves proud with their stealth discipline. Dinaz, Kular and even the loud mouth Saal kept ghostly silent. Yet Rull was the most impressive. Like a natural shadow moving steadily forwards, always checking his surroundings first. Only once had he hesitated, a barely noticeable glance over his shoulder towards the high overhanging ruins of The Pallocore’s Palace as if he had seen a ghost of movement. Falyon had lost count at the number of fellow scouts he had led who had been promoted before him. No matter, he was a shadow now. This is what he did, stealth, recon, disruption and cold blooded murder... if the mission required it. He had tempered his fiery nature and vain quest for personal glory, through hard years of training and deadly insertion missions. His initial hatred of Chaplain Kalistor had turned into admiration and respect. When the chaplain called he would serve. Whether that would be as a shadow or as a battle brother mattered little to Falyon now.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Egrim Kalistor looked down to where the shadow squad would be positioned; he could not see them now but had caught a glimpse of Rull on their approach to the bridge. The target identified as ‘331Beta’ was in the Ork truck advancing over the ruined gardens towards the scouts’ position. Kalistor gripped his Crozius tighter and pulled the hood of his camo cloak down over his bionic eye to ensure it reflected no light. Falyon was ready. In truth he had most likely been ready for ten years but Kalistor wanted to make sure that the failings in Falyon’s nature had been well and truly eradicated. However there was one area that had been untested due to his almost perfect service record, humility in defeat. Kalistor always insisted that he wanted to test the scout’s mettle. Epistolary Ibias often hinted that Kalistor had kept the boy in the scouts for the comment he had ‘thought’ on that mission over 20 years ago. In truth Egrim had laughed internally when the librarian had told him what his warp craft enabled him to hear. Well that was another lesson for the lad; don’t even think out of line when the brothers of the librarius are present.

Ork gunfire raked the already crumbling wall as Falyon tried to take stock of the current situation. Things were getting worse. Other ork trucks would be on their way alerted to the sounds of a fight like flies to horse crap. Emperor damn Saal for his recklessness, charging from cover when the truck had pulled up short of the mined bridge. That carelessness had soon been rewarded with a vicious death. There was no way he and his three remaining shadows would be able to take on the amount of lumbering foul beasts dismounting from their ramshackle excuse of a vehicle. “Shadow one to Barbed Arrow, requesting immediate withdrawal, mission compromised.” He drew his combat knife recognising that the orks would be on them any second. Seeing his squad follow suit he cracked off two quick shots with his bolt pistol at the closest ork, two perfect knee shots sending the beast toppling down into the tangle weeds so prominent now on this once verdant landscape. It would not kill the damned thing but it would buy his scouts some time. Oh time, that most precious commodity. Dinaz went down next shorn almost in half by a rusted and blunt cleaver. The orks were among them. The land speeder would arrive to find nothing but bloody remains. Falyon knew with grim certainty that they were all going to die.

When death came it was not his own.

Swinging his Crozius in a lethal arc Chaplain Kalistor tore into the orks bearing down on the scout squad. From where once there was shadow erupted an avatar of death incarnate. His camo cloak unfurled behind him, swirling and following in the spiralling crescents of fury created by his holy Crozius, causing the illusion of half seen shimmering brutality. Four orks had fallen before Falyon had time to blaspheme but he took the initiative resulting from the shock the orks displayed and joined his chaplain’s side. Kular was less fortunate pausing for a moment jaw wide open, awestruck at witnessing the wrathful murder visited upon the orks. That moment got him killed. His head was opened up by an ork axe turning his expression from awe to despair in the blink of a dead eye.

“Status Sergeant?” Growled Kalistor

“Evacuation in one minute Lord.” Falyon replied realising that The Shadowmaker had been utterly silent in his combat with the orks, a feat that Falyon found even more unnerving than the savage bellowing war cries of the orks. “Permission to blow the bridge lord to give us time to withdraw”

“Do it! By Corax Sergeant do it now.”

“Appraisal Sergeant?” Demanded Kalistor as the land speeder storm turned away from the conflagration. Falyon glanced at Rull and caught his expression. It was that of someone who was struggling to believe they were not dead, trying to comprehend how he survived a combat that would have seen them all killed until Kalistor’s intervention.

“The ork truck stopped short of the mines. Whist investigating we were spotted and had to engage, resulting in the regrettable deaths of three shadows Lord. I called for withdrawal as soon as the mission was compromised. Target 331Beta will have to wait till another time, another team.” He stopped then added “Permission to lead that team, my Lord to make amends for the loss of my fellow shadows. “

Interesting thought Egrim Kalistor, interesting and absolutely perfect. If he would have been in full battle plate with his face obscured by his leering death mask, he would have smiled a smile that no one other than Lias Issodon had ever seen, but he was not.

“You, Scout Sergeant Falyon will not be leading another insertion team again, at least not for a long while. You, Brother Falyon will be reporting to the armoury for full plate worthy of a battle brother of the Raptors Chapter. I on the other hand will be keeping a close eye on my Crozius Arcanum.”

Front

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/012-4-1.jpg

Left

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/017-3-1.jpg

Back

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/030-1-1.jpg

Right

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/022-2-1.jpg

3 View

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/Adavers/025-3-1.jpg

Come on guys, 5 days left and 1 entry so far. Is The Yak going to win by default?

Nope, I'm just going over my story entry for grammar and make sure it flows well. I'll probably have my entry in either tonight or in the morning.

I dont know what to say to that mate. I hope your ok and no one got hurt.

Do you have insurance? Puts things in perspective.

Well I hope things get sorted for you anyway. I know it will probably sound daft and no doubt people having been saying this to you since it happened. But at least your alive.

Good luck

The Yak

Thats a real bugger there Paladin. As a (currently inactive) fire fighter I know what kinda loss that can be.

As for the challenge, I am looking a re-doing my story and possibly even what character I do. We will soon see, just depends on what happens with my E Tenebrae Lux challenge...

I have to be honest and say that I'm not going to finish. You see, there was this little fire.....

Flat burned down, staying at Mums'. All hobby stuff destroyed.

oh wow, yikes. Super not cool. Hope everything else is alright.

The Inquisitor had ordered him to collect more information about the events of the previous day, a believed long dead inquisitor doesn't come back from the grave everyday, especially to turn the tides of battle. His research had Turned up a connection between Guardsmen Kard Labte and the dead inquisitor Sophia Esma.

“Of course I Know of her.” The Guardsman said taking a long drag on a Iho stick.

“who in this campaign hasn't?” he asked letting the smoke flow out as he spoke.

He shifted is weight, perched as he was on a crate of Explosive Bolter munition, the Adept conducting the interview looked at the Iho stick and its cherry red tip with concern.

“Guardsman Labte if you would please...” The adept pointed his gloved fingers at the Iho stick, and then the boxes surrounding them. Labte looked up at the veritable canyon of Munitions crates, weapon stashes, and Promethium casks.

He sighed and stamped out the butt.

“As I was saying I know her, well Knew her would be more accurate, it was about nineteen years ago on Haido II, as I am sure you know the planet was one of many claimed that year by the Eldar.” The adept nodded as he thumbed a data slate.

“Please tell me everything you remember of the subject.” snapped the Adept who clearly didn't enjoy this job at all.

“She was a regular around the refugee camps, The happy red head always playing with the children, and always laughing and checking up on us, now that I think about it the idea of an Inquisitor checking up on me terrifies me, no offence meant sir, didn't know who she was for most of the time we stayed at the camp.” labte smirked and fished his Iho sticks out of his jacket pocket and popping one into the corner of his mouth where it remained unlit.

“I was about eight at the time but I remember the Camp Glory raid as if it was yesterday, damn Eldar raiders stormed the site burning and killing everything with out those damn pointy ears.” Labte's fists curled into balls and his face twitched.

“I watched the red headed happy girl laughing as she cut down Eldar, Emperor she was beautiful, pulled me from a burning Hab tent.” he pointed at the burns on his face.

“Think they're called Fire dragons or something, walking round the camps burning habs, while the shrieking witches ran around killing any one who tried to escape.”

“Banshees.” the adept stated not looking up from his slate.

“yeah, wailing and killing.” Labte sniffed moving the damp Iho stick around his mouth.

“I saw the inquisitor fight off twenty, no probably thirty of the damn witches until...” Labte stopped and finally lit the Iho stick staring at the flame for a few seconds.

“until one of those fancy orange Dragons hit her with those foul melta weapons, I didn't see her after that just you know the bright light the boom and heat.” Labte shifted again and then stood brushing loose Iho weed from his trousers.

“Didn't see her until yesterday during the assault, just when we thought the locals had us, she spears their leader from behind.” he chuckled.

“I've never seen a daemon, i've heard men speak of them, never seen one. But Daemon is the closest word to describe her. She appeared out of nowhere red hair forming a fiery halo around the macabre death mask she wore, looked like how I imagine those Banshees look like under their masks.” Labte looked exhausted his face crackled as he ran his palm over his stubble.

“Her blade always found its mark it and never seemed to stop moving. It wasn't until I saw her cut down her fifth opponent that I realised the flashy style of combat was simply an extension of her playful nature, she was toying with her opponents often appearing to leave herself open to a killing blow but then reversing the situation in a blink of an eye."

"Everywhere she went she was followed by a servoskull that shrieked as it ducked and dove at any who opposed her spitting bolter rounds as it went chains flailing behind it.” He walked over to a kit bag that was sat by a small folding bed and rifled through it until he found what he was looking for.

“She pulled one of the big ones off of me and I swear she paused like she recognised me.” he tossed the ring to the adept.

“Because she gave that to me, said to give it to your boss.” The adept turned it over in his hand it was a Inquisitorial Ident ring almost melted to an unrecognisable state.

=============================================================

il get the pics of Inq Sofia Esmer as soon as i can find a dang camera.

He'll win either way. B)

I'll take that as a huge compliment.

However I would not go as far to say I would win. Some of the members who have already declared entries are capable of some top drawer conversions, you only have to check out their blogs or past work to see that. Not only that but with three days still to go anyone can jump in with a masterpiece and we all know the quality that is evident amongst many of the members on this forum.

But nice one anyway :blush:

From page 1:

The Challenge is recorded has having started Friday the 18st of May, 2012. All entries must be submitted prior to 12:00 noon EST June 16th, 2012. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!

Archived