DA Dread to Ultramarine Dread

ShinyRhino

I am planning out the last two Dreads for my collection, which will max me out at 6. I have already built, magnetized and painted an Ironclad, plastic Venerable, and two old-school metal Dreads.

I have a brand new plastic Dread in its box, and a used-but-stripped metal Dark Angels Dread.

The plastic version is easy, but I'm waffling over the metal Dread. The old DA Dread has a robed angel motif on its sarcophagus. The two prior metal Dreads I painted are an old Furioso and the basic version. One has a skull/eagle motif, and the other a winged skull with iron halo. Standard Marine iconography that was adaptable to any Chapter.

The question is: do you think I can get away with painting this old DA Dread as an Ultramarine despite the robed angel on the sarcophagus? I know all Marines were referred to as "Angels of Death," but is the hooded/robed version ore the realm of DAs?

My alternative is to eBay off the metal Dread for whatever value I can get, and use the cash toward a new plastic or Forgeworld Dread (probably the basic MkIV version so the standard arms don't look odd on it).

The Fortress of Redemption has a 90-foot robed angel with sword, yet is frequently depicted with Ultramarines manning the defenses. If it really worries you, GS some other weapon onto it, scrape it off and replace it with some other icon, or paint up a banner for the dread or for someone else in your force depicting a robed angel in UM colors.

Yeh, I wouldn't stress about it, I've an old metal Bjorn painted up in Deathwing colours.....

Cheers,

Jono

Does he duel himself before a battle? ;)

(There was a White Dwarf or Black Gobbo article way back that had rules for making a DA and SW champion fight before a battle, a la Johnson and Russ).

Plastic Dreadnought kits generally come with extra sarcophagus covers.

Any chance you could file away the Dark Angels iconography and then glue on one of the extra covers?

Plastic Dreadnought kits generally come with extra sarcophagus covers.

Any chance you could file away the Dark Angels iconography and then glue on one of the extra covers?

I thought about it, but it would be a massive, painstaking project. I'm just going to paint the robes blue, as I just remembered that the Marine blasting the Genestealer on the chapter banner...has wings!

Archived