Maverike's Review: Storm Talon

Well done Maverick-Prime, I really like your kit-bash with the Stormraven. Though it would definately be another flyer, it looks a whole lot better than both of GW's original kits you are using.

You do understand that that image is not a kit bash right? It's just a very hastily done photo-edit.

Um the cockpit is actually smaller then you think... Also I like the idea of making the front turret smaller and the changing the hud of the cockpit. I was thinking the same thing. Anyways this model isn't going to please everyone. But it will add something to the game. my 2 cents anyways.

I'm not too keen on this flyer at the moment. I personally would rather having something like those blight drones than a pug fighter.

@maverike_prime: I like your thread titles and how the topic shows the starter's name. It reminds me of Tyler Perry movies. Dude knows how to advertise a name. :P

Hi there!

I suppose all of us have noticed how similar the Stormtalon is to an Apache chopper.

The main problem I see is that oversized turret with the twin cannons. Too big and...What the hell are the landing pods doing there??????????????

The lastoption posted is good, but The canopy of the Stormraven looks oversized too.

Why dont we choose another option? That is, only one cannon with the optical system in the turret and going for bigger wings that could carry weapons cleaning the

canopyfrom that massive attaching it has.

I think that could change the model to a more realistic view.

Cheers.

You do understand that that image is not a kit bash right? It's just a very hastily done photo-edit.

Of course I do. There must be a missing word... "I really like your kit-bash concept with the Stormraven".

Sometimes people come up with idea's of photoshopped kit-bashes that are well executed, but I still don't like the concept of the idea.

I like yours because of the overall feel to it, but I'd go a bit further, as I stated. ;-)

BTW if anyone would like a copy of the Storm Talon Data sheets from WD if you don't feel like spending the $9 to get them. Send me a PM and I'll hook ya up with the PDF Copies I scanned from mine.

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/c9xf-1d-642e.jpg

This looks worlds better. I'd still trim down the side sponson gun housings significantly, raise them slightly, and I think I'd lengthen it just a bit, but it's a step in the right direction.

I think I'd keep the original canopy though. I kinda like that there's finally a Space Marine vehicle with reasonable visibility, heh.

• 2 weeks later...
Overall thoughts of the model

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0234.jpg

So, I finally got the Storm Talon in the mail. I don't what navigationally demented rabbit Fed Ex uses for directing it's shipments but damn this package went for a loop to get to me. Here's the break down of it's trip:

Jun 1: Package arrived at Fed Ex in Alive Branch Ms.
Jun 4: Package arrived at Fed Ex in Lewisberry Pa.
Jun 6: Package arrived at Fed Ex in Martinsburg WV
Jun 7: Package arrived at Fed Ex in Dallas Tx.
Jun 8: Package arrived at Fed Ex in Martinsburg WV
Jun 9: Package arrived at Fed Ex in Stafford Va.
Delivered.

So now that I've gotten the model, let's begin. I have to say, in comparison to the Storm Raven model I am rather underwhelmed by the Storm Talon. First off, the box is way bigger then it needs to be.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0226.jpg

As you can see the entire contents of the model occupy less then 1/2 of the inner volume of the box. I know it's very petty but this really bothers me. If you look at the Predator model that model fills the box to the brim. And frankly, that's what I was expecting from this model. A predator with wings and jets. The model just doesn't live up to that expectation.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0227.jpg

Though in comparison to the Storm Raven, the Storm Talon the part density of the Storm talon is much higher. You can see very little wasted space in this kit so that's a plus.

Now moving onto the finished model.

The model is surprisingly small. Once again I was expecting something more akin to a predator size and mass. Instead the model just seems to be closer to a beefed up attack bike. The engines on the sides of the main body do rotate about 80 degrees so you can make the Talon appear to be flying forward or hovering which is nice considering the rules for the unit. Which leads me to my next disappointment in the model: The "hover jets" on the belly of the craft.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0253.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0251.jpg

They are literally just plastic thruster nozzles glues to the bottom of the craft. I was really expecting the model to be somewhat more involved with these hover jets. Swivel mounts like the Storm Raven VTOLs perhaps. Instead they are literally just suck on the model.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0238.jpg
The Twin linked assault cannons on the chin mount are my second biggest point of annoyance with the model. These cannons really seem like a throw back to the older style of assault cannons found on the dreadnought and the previous version of the Baal predator. Big, and clunky and not particularly well thought out. Honestly, a single Assault cannon from the Raven Guard or LandSpeeder sprue with a targeting array would have worked much better for this model and I think helped to give it a sleeker profile.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0242.jpg
The weapon pods on the side are kind of nice and are over all the best part of the model. They are well designed and look very comparable to the Typhoon launchers from the land Speeder and the missile launcher from the dreadnought, helping carry the idea that all these units are from the same force and share technology. I'm somewhat tempted to adapt the design for a Razor back turret by attack them top to top and mounting it side way:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0243.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/DSCN0256.jpg
The Sensor vanes on the back of the model just don't work for me. Both the vanes themselves and the mounting plate they are in. Though I will give the GW model designers credit, they did come up with a nice mounting system for the vanes. Each of the vanes are a separate piece, that fit into a mounting plate with geometric shaped locking pins. So it's literally you stick the vane with the square peg into the spot with the square hole.

Closing thoughts

Over all the model is just very bland. A couple note worthy points, a lot of disappointments in the design and implementation of the model, and a just too small feeling to the entire model makes it feel more like a toy then a 40k model.

Definitely looks like something slapped together simply to sell another model, not because it brings anything to the game, or is particularly high quality. I can say that some people have done some fun and cool things with them in conversion, but out of the box, it's just completely garbage all around as a model.

It's so sad - the conversions around this board, and the common threads to all of them (reworked Assault cannons being the obvious on) as well as how straightforward they are to pull off mean that the potential was there for this one to be really knocked out of the park if just a little more forethought had been applied.

Still, at least it's easy enough to adapt.

But for this price we shouldn't have to adapt it to make it look better.

I think its all a matter of opinion, I personally like the kit as it is, there are a few rough spots but for the most part I love the "Gunship" look, all the glass enables the field of vision you would need in a vehicle like this, I guess its just one of those polarizing kits...

After seeing this model in person over the weekend I was very surprised with the size. Its isn't much bigger than a Land Speeder and when you compare it to the Ork and Necron ones, its tiny. And the Ork and Necron ones look good without anything being done to the model other than putting it together. I guess GW thinks that Marine players will just take anything that is thrown to them and have to work for the Xeno players so they will like it.

It is amusing that GW can and are seemingly getting away with making utter cack for marines and people buy them in droves.

I have to admit that I hated the SR and I have yet to see a conversion of it that I actually like, and have seen fewer SR where no conversion work was done.

The same pretty much applies to the StormTalon, except, I think a decent conversion can be made out of this and I will be buying one of these eventually to attempt it myself.

Despite that, come on GW, please make something that doesn't immediately cause the majority of us to enter a polycement induced rage (from what I have seen/read at any rate). Just actually make a plastic Thunderhawk, that will sell like nothing else (and FW moulds are knackered), you are capable of producing them and I don't mind getting mugged by your ridiculous prices for one of those.

Archived