The Helios Crusade

civsmitty

I decided it was time I started my own Crusade blog. All army WIP pictures, completed pictures, and battle reports will be posted here. This Crusade was named for a local map-based campaign being run by the local gaming group, based around the Helios system.

The Helios Crusade

"For Sigismund, for Dorn, for the Emperor!"

Marshal Farus is new to his position, and the Helios Crusade represents High Marshal Helbrecht's trust in his newest commander. Fighting alongside the likes of the Raven Guard, Wolves of Fenris, Grey Knights, and the Salamanders, Farus' mission is to regain the Helios sector from alien and heretic hands. Reports from forward elements note the presence of the insidious Eldar, piratical Dark Eldar, Necrons, and the ultimate heretics; Chaos Space Marines from the World Eaters and Black Legion.

+++Helios Crusade+++

Marshal Farus, Sigismund's Shield

Reclusiarch Markosian

Brother Foltos, Emperor's Champion

Brother Darius, Crusade Banner Bearer

Techmarine

Apothecary

51 Sword Brethren

- 40 suits of Terminator Armor

5 Dreadnoughts

105 Initiates

-20 Space Marine Bikes

-5 Space Marine Attack Bikes

47 Neophytes

3 Land Speeders, Typhoon Pattern

3 Land Raiders, Crusader Pattern

3 Predators, variable patterns

2 Razorbacks

4 Rhinos

Origins

It was in battle with the heretical forces of Chaos in 995 M41 that Sword Brethren Farus earned his promotion to Marshal, as well as the title of "Sigismund's Shield." Farus' squad was ordered to form Marshal Junius' command squad, and ride with him into battle in the Land Raider Path to Salvation. After charging out of the depths of the Path to Salvation, Junius and his command squad reaped a bloody toll on traitor Marines, guard, and cultists alike. When a champion of Khorne, a Demon Prince from the World Eaters Legion, roared his challenge at Junius, the Marshal didn't hesitate. He cut his way through anything that got in his way, extending himself beyond the support of Farus and his brothers, until he stood before the enemy champion. When Khorne's champion began to taunt Junius, he cut him off curtly, saying, "Enough, filth. I have no interest in your pathetic words. Come face your doom." As the World Eater began to laugh, Junius charged, longsword held at the ready.

Far to the rear, Farus' squad fought desperately to reach Junius, in order to prevent their Marshal from being attacked from the side or rear. Farus, realizing that the rapidly massing enemy wouldn't allow them to reach Junius, called the Path to Salvation, asking the crew for assistance in fighting their way through to Junis' position. Path to Salvation responded immediately, hurricane bolters and assault cannons reaping a fearsome tally, and creating the gap so desperately needed in the enemy army. Farus and his squad ran alongside the Land Raider, killing any enemy that threatened the vehicle.

Meanwhile, Junius and the Demon Prince had traded blows, any elegance of swordsmanship long abandoned for the brutal killing stroke both so desperately sought. Junius' headlong charge had taken the World Eater by surprise, allowing the Marshal to score several deep blows in the heretic’s flesh. The Khornate champion fought back furiously, eventually putting the Marshal into a defensive stance. As the Path to Salvation and Farus battled their way closer, Junius fought for his life, turning away a score of killing blows, each a hand’s width away from ending the Marshal’s life. As the command squad broke clear of the enemies seeking to prevent them from reaching the duel between champions, Junius’ attention was drawn to a Bloodletter cowardly attacking him from his blindside. Junius parried and countered the blow, cleaving the demon in two. However, the blow was the distraction the World Eater needed; his roaring chainaxe swept Junius’ head from his shoulders.

Farus saw the killing blow land and went into a blind rage, his shame at his failure to protect his commander propelling him into a headlong charge at the Demon Prince. His rage was such that he could not be stopped or turn aside. Hacking furiously with his power sword, Farus drove the enemy champion to his knees. The World Eater managed to land a punch that staggered Farus, and, desperate, the Demon Prince flung his chain axe at the nearby form of the Path to Salvation. Unnatural power granted to him by false gods allowed the axe to penetrate the Land Raider’s armor clean through to the engine block. The resulting explosion killed three members of the command squad and knocked Farus himself senseless. When his vision cleared, the Demon Prince was finishing off the Crusade Banner bearer, roaring in his triumph. Turning, Khorne’s champion stalked towards Farus, an evil leer splitting his face.

Farus, still unable to fully regain his senses, was driven backward by a kick from his enemy’s cloven hoof. Slamming into the remains of the Path of Salvation, Farus fought to regain his faculties. Tearing his helmet clear, Farus had just enough time to roll away as the Demon Prince slammed into the ground where Farus had been sitting moments before. Farus scrambled for a weapon, finding only the ruins of the Land Raider. Desperate, he seized the remains of the portside hatch and used it as a shield. Blocking blow after blow, Farus smashed the Demon Prince with his improvised shield. Gaining an opening, Farus smashed the creature again and again, the last blow so powerful it dropped the creature to its back. Using a jagged edge of the shield, Farus pinned the World Eater to the ground. Recovering Junius’ sword, Farus gazed down at his helpless enemy.

“For Sigismund.” The sword swung down, disemboweling the Demon Prince.

“For Dorn.” The second stroke removed an arm.

Farus paused, placing the tip of Junius’ sword at the World Eater’s throat.

“For the Emperor.” The final stroke ended the Demon Prince’s life.

The Crusade completed, they returned to the Eternal Crusader, where High Marshal Helbrecht called together the Sword Brethren for a vote on a new Marshal. Farus was elected by a vast majority, over his protests that he had failed in his duty to Junius. At the ceremony elevating Farus to his new rank, the High Marshal appointed him “Sigismund’s Shield.” The Master of the Forge presented him with his badge of his new title, a custom storm shield made from the very door Farus used to defeat the Demon Prince. Helbrecht commanded Farus to act as the Black Templar’s representative in the defense of the Helios system. Farus acknowledged his orders, declaring and forming his Crusade. Joined by Reclusiarch Markosian (the very Templar who acted as Farus’ mentor when he was a Neophyte) and Champion Foltos, Farus has sworn to free Helios from the taint of the heretics and xenos that infect it.

Helios Crusade Battle Reports

Marshal Farus, Sigismund's Shield (TDA version)

gallery_40963_7177_80221.jpg

Brother Foltos, Emperor's Champion

gallery_40963_7177_956132.jpg

Brother Darius, Helios Crusade banner Bearer (WIP)

gallery_40963_7177_15773.jpg

Land Raider Crusader (name TBD)

gallery_40963_7177_293604.jpg

Chaplain Dreadnought

gallery_40963_7177_576996.jpg

Contemptor Dreadnought

gallery_40963_7177_707366.jpg

Ok, some WIP for both ETL and the Crusade Expansion vows.

First, my DCML Sword Brethren Terminator Squad.

gallery_40963_7335_480634.jpg

All that these guys need left is their Crusade badges completed, the SB red cross on the shoulder pads, touchups, and basing.

And, since I started paint them before ETL, the WIP of my 10-5 Crusader Squad.

gallery_40963_7335_1495188.jpg

That powerfist up front (Gallien) has killed Ghaz twice on the board. I made the decision to make him a Sword Brother, so after I submit my vow, he goes black and red.

Enjoy!

I forgot to update my WIP thread!

gallery_40963_7177_1989059.jpg

Newly completed DCML Terminator Squad.

The Crusader Squad is 4 Neophytes and two Initiates from being completed. Tonight is a break night, however.

In battle report news, I'm in a 5k per person game based around Operation Market Garden in the end of August. I'll be fighting alongside the Salamanders and Red Scorpions or IG against the Eldar/Dark Eldar. So stand by for the list I'll be taking into battle.

Archived