Vow Complete!

Gunrunr

Brothers,

I am proud to report that I have completed my Black Templar Crusade Expansion VIII painting vow. These assault terminators are being sent in to reinforce my Tango Urilla Crusade against the enemies of the Emperor. These same models are also representing all Black Templars in the DA Painting Challenge.

gallery_62863_6991_239794.jpg

Very nice models!

I love the helmets and hammers especially! And very crisply painted. I would recomment a wash, maybe brown, on the gold, to give it a bit more depth. And also ask.. how did you do those helmets? I have some to do at some point and would be pleased if they came out half as good as yours!

Congratulations on completing both your vows! I hope there's more coming for ETL?

Very nice models!

I love the helmets and hammers especially! And very crisply painted. I would recomment a wash, maybe brown, on the gold, to give it a bit more depth. And also ask.. how did you do those helmets? I have some to do at some point and would be pleased if they came out half as good as yours!

Congratulations on completing both your vows! I hope there's more coming for ETL?

Brother Arthanor,

Great advice. I felt that the gold on the shields looked kind of fake. What ink do you think works best on gold.....brown? I always use black on my silvers.

The helmets were kind of a pain. First I used Ultramarines Blue over a chaos black base coat. I then did the top half with solid white and started the lower half in solid white. I then watered my paint down a lot then worked a fade from the bottom to the middle. Some of the helms I had to do twice because the fade job was not coming out like I wanted, so its a bit of trial and error. Good luck with your future project.

Dont forget to post in the SUBMISSION Thread above!

Thanks Brother Richard,

I was trying to figure out where I was suppose to officially post my completed work.

And below :tu:

You need to officially declare the completion in the ETL thread too. I'll update the table regardless but you need to make the official declaration.

And below :tu:

You need to officially declare the completion in the ETL thread too. I'll update the table regardless but you need to make the official declaration.

Brother Semper,

These models only complete my Templar vow but do not complete the vow for the BA painting challenge. It was my understanding that only completed vows count for updating your chart.

Brother Arthanor,

Great advice. I felt that the gold on the shields looked kind of fake. What ink do you think works best on gold.....brown? I always use black on my silvers.

Black works well on silver/boltgun metals. You can think of gold as silver+yellow (it's not exactly that, but close-ish), so using a brown (sort of black+yellow) works well in general. It adds depth to the gold while keeping the richness and warmth of it. If you use GW washes, the old Devlan Mud might work. If you were buy something new, Skrag brown is the one I would recommend. Unfortunately, I find no shade in the new range that I would use. But it sounds like you use inks, so short answer is: Yes, brown ink should work indeed :tu: After applying it, you might have to dry brush or lightly highlight the gold again, but only in the most raised areas, so it stays shiny.

And below :lol:

Brother Semper,

These models only complete my Templar vow but do not complete the vow for the BA painting challenge. It was my understanding that only completed vows count for updating your chart.

Sorry - my bad... Thought you were done. :tu: You're right of course. Do not declare until you complete! Fantastic job btw!

Brother Arthanor,

Yes, I have been using inks more and more but never tried it on golds. I have the old citadel ink boxed set and devlin mud was the one I was planing to use. Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to retouch up the raised areas again with gold.

Captain Semper,

Thanks

Archived