'12 Challenge WIP

Brothers,

Thought I'd make a WIP post coz I got my camera back, and being new to the challenge wanted to strut my stu..f.........well wanted to show my progress anyways.

First the Termies I'm working on tonight, nothing special most are AOBR but I'm still missing a Cyclone for the unprimed model.

gallery_61048_6571_68784.jpg

And my completed vindicator, again nothing spectacular but painted models always bring more pain to the table :) only wish I could hide transfers better

gallery_61048_6571_6217.jpg

gallery_61048_6571_60789.jpg

If I get my butt in gear will have those termies done by Thurs/Fri. HEre's to crushing your foes :P

FYI - Here's what I've got to copy for them

gallery_61048_6571_201632.jpg

Looking good so far. Here is how to blend those pesky transfers perfectly: First put down a layer of clear coat gloss where the transfer will go and a bit around it. Once that is dried add your transfer per normal, and once most of the water is dried but still a little moist, do a coat of clear satin varnish over the whole area. Volia, no more transfer lines!

Could you please describe how you achieved the rust/damage effect on your vindicator?

Certainly, it's quite easy only 3 steps.

Scorched Brown /

Calthan Brown /

Graveyard Earth / what ever the new colours are

Dont wash brush between colours, I find its makes for easy blend.

First drybrush scorched brown (slightly overbrushing to work the paint onto brush and smudge onto panels) make the scorched brown the highest you want to go up tank.

Calthan brown is first a stiple staying under the scorched brown line. As brush starts to dry start to drybrush as desired - you'll see the effect once you start drybrushing.

Then repeat with Graveyard earth till it looks as mucky as you like.

Takes 3-5mins nice and easy and a bit a gunho with the brush.

@Imperial Deciet:

It's like you just told me the secret to a magic trick. Legend.

I've been using varnsih but only on top and when model is still damp. I think you've solved my problem.

If you go to a shop that sells model kits ( like tanks and planes) you should be able to find a decal solvent. I use Microsol. After a decal is set you just brush a bit on, at first it will look strange, sometimes the decal will actually wrinkle up but don't be alarmed and especially don't attempt to touch the decal with anything! As the decal dries again it will flatten out and snug down onto whatever surface it's on. GW decals are notoriously thick ( although I've heard the newer ones are getting better) so you may have to apply a couple of applications to achieve the best result. I also build WWII aircraft in my spare time, and with aircraft after finish the paint scheme I use an airbrush to coat the model with a gloss coat ( I actually use Klear floor polish for this coat!) Decals adhere and lay flatter on the smoother surface, then I use the Microsol, and then hit it with a dullcoat, GW's Dullcoat is actually one of my favorites! For some more model building tips and tricks I can recommend Kitmaker Network. I'm a member on the forums over there and I've learned tons of helpful money and time saving stuff over there!

Archived