Grey Knights Stormraven

so, i painted this beast up for my friend, its basically finished, just thought i'd ask what your opinions are on applying damage/ scorch marks? i'd obviously put some around the vents but what about the wings? how/where could i apply scratches or some sort of atmospheric entry burns, like the ones you get on the space shuttles.

c & c appreciated!

gallery_67223_7359_1577411.jpg

gallery_67223_7359_504269.jpg

gallery_67223_7359_1667274.jpg

very good work,

but in my opinion it looks toylike because there isn't any scratch or irregularity in your paintjob,

too perfect to be true.

I would suugest to apply some scratches and burn marks along the front edges of the wings and

especially the ramp.

when it opens and touches the ground i would say its dirty and worne

but still i know how difficult it is to paint big plain areas,

you did a very good job there

very good work,

but in my opinion it looks toylike because there isn't any scratch or irregularity in your paintjob,

too perfect to be true.

I would suugest to apply some scratches and burn marks along the front edges of the wings and

especially the ramp.

when it opens and touches the ground i would say its dirty and worne

but still i know how difficult it is to paint big plain areas,

you did a very good job there

thanks for the reply! yeah she does need some battle damage to make her a bit more 'worn in' i'll get some scratches in on the hatch and wings and post some more piccys!

That looks really nice man. The red and white striping is great. I don't mind the factory finish since all my vehicles are like that save for a few misfortunate exceptions. Anywho, I don't care for the 4 color combo that's going on with the missile launcher panel. It just looks to colorful though I understand the reasoning. Different missile types and different sensor lenses or what not. Great job though! Consider adding washes or grime to the inside of the ramps.

That looks really nice man. The red and white striping is great. I don't mind the factory finish since all my vehicles are like that save for a few misfortunate exceptions. Anywho, I don't care for the 4 color combo that's going on with the missile launcher panel. It just looks to colorful though I understand the reasoning. Different missile types and different sensor lenses or what not. Great job though! Consider adding washes or grime to the inside of the ramps.

hey thanks for the reply!

yeah it is quite colourful for a gunship that goes around taking names! the only reasoning for the yellow missiles was there was too much red i thought, so i wanted to break it up. the only other colour i could think for krak missiles is yellow! ^_^

Any leading edges (Front and bottom for this guy) are the best for weathering to be applied. Look up on google how people weather their World War II planes for some good ideas, as well. I would reccommend that you apply effects sparsely at first on the places you want worn, and gradually add density until the proper look is achieved. While heavily-scarred aircraft is realistic (especially in World War II), it usually doesn't look as good.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really like those clean whites and reds there! Very nice, and fairly difficult for me, personally.

Any leading edges (Front and bottom for this guy) are the best for weathering to be applied. Look up on google how people weather their World War II planes for some good ideas, as well. I would reccommend that you apply effects sparsely at first on the places you want worn, and gradually add density until the proper look is achieved. While heavily-scarred aircraft is realistic (especially in World War II), it usually doesn't look as good.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really like those clean whites and reds there! Very nice, and fairly difficult for me, personally.

thanks feuer_faust! i just used wazdakka red on top of a white undercoat using a cheapo airbrush! fairly easy for anyone to do! i agree also with your statement on too much battle damage, where it is realistic. i am more a fan of subtle damage rather than full on grubby armour! ^_^

Great work, really nice paint scheme.

i am more a fan of subtle damage rather than full on grubby armour!

I agree entirely. IMHO, Greyknights are the elite, and as such do not ride around in battle scarred vehicles. After each successful incursion we take them back to Titan and let the techmarines make them all shiny again ^_^

Great work, really nice paint scheme.

i am more a fan of subtle damage rather than full on grubby armour!

I agree entirely. IMHO, Greyknights are the elite, and as such do not ride around in battle scarred vehicles. After each successful incursion we take them back to Titan and let the techmarines make them all shiny again :P

good old techmarines, they give me an excuse to paint stuff all bright, shiny and 90's style! :P

thanks ff i tried my hand at weathering powders, but i can't get my head around how to use them and keep them on the model without blowing half of the work off with the purity seal!! i basically drybrushed it, but then slightly dampened the brush and worked the burn marks out, moving away from the source to create a semblance of motion.

the chipe were done with the old fashioned sponge dabbing technique, followed by a highlight at the bottom of the chips to give it a 3D effect.

cheers for that! thats really quite useful. should prove extra useful when i start my dark angels when the new book is out.... if i ike it lol

Ummm...you do know the tailfin is on back to front?

hahahaha yeah i knew that after i had primered it, i saw several at my FLGS and thought 'it looks correct, but why are the tail fins on the wrong way round??' but my friend didn't really mind seeing as it seems to be a common mistake. i think if i ever had one i'd re work the tail fins so that they face the back when i put the tail on that way round. looks much better imo. thanks for making it obvious! :) lol

Archived