The Arcturus Crusade

Outlander

Just coming back to the game after a long break. I actually picked up a bunch of BT stuff just as 4th edition came out but the gaming store i went to closed down soon after and I just stopped playing. Well a couple of months ago I was cleaning out all my old things and came across my old models and decided to come back with a vengeance... well sort of my budget is nickle and dimes atm and most of the extra bits i've scrounged up from my brothers leftovers(he's been playing for years so i got lucky). Most of my army is being rebuilt and converted and I'm waiting on some new army painter brushes I ordered before i started painting again. Having only played and painted up a small Crimson Fist army before this any advice is welcome.

gallery_67658_7418_56921.jpg

Champion Jericho, Marshal Conrad and Chaplain Murdoc. Marshal still needs a lot of work.

gallery_67658_7418_222879.jpg

Command Squad.

gallery_67658_7418_221047.jpg

gallery_67658_7418_51439.jpg

Top pic is Ven Dread had to rebuild him as he was a badly failed attempt at a Chaos world eaters conversion when i got him. both still need some work that i noticed after priming them, never used to notice all the little openings that need filling and leftover flash but this time around I really want an army that stands out.

gallery_67658_7418_54820.jpg

gallery_67658_7418_223227.jpg

gallery_67658_7418_138654.jpg

Crusader Squads ready for painting.

gallery_67658_7418_109163.jpg

gallery_67658_7418_101939.jpg

My attempt at neophytes, got a few more about half finished.

Gonna post more pics as work gets done and probably re-post a few as i get better with my camera

Nice work!

Wouldnt mind a close up on the champion jericho and your marshall .. they look like good conversion ideas!

Also did you mold the tabards or half of them???

That seems like a cool idea.. Can you describe how you did it

You actually remind me of myself.. I like painting the bases and than always the marine gets left...

:) You made whole helmets out of greenstuff? And your tabards look awesome too! How did you pull that off? They look just like the originals!

Great models, can't wait to see more pain on 'em :)

Also.. Arcturus has been one of my character's name since ages ago and he will most likely make it in my crusade as a HQ. What is the name referring to for you?

Also.. Arcturus has been one of my character's name since ages ago and he will most likely make it in my crusade as a HQ. What is the name referring to for you?

Arcturus Mengsk? :)

I suspect the tabards are copied from the original ones, am I right, Outlander? I tried to do this, but failed :)

I came up with the name before Starcraft for a paladin character in D&D, then used it for a knight in a private Ultima Online server and knight/paladin characters ever since. I'll be using the name for a CC castellan or my EC. I was shocked when my paladin became the twisted emperor Mengsk in Starcraft! But eh.. power corrupts, the paladin rose too high ;)

Very curious to see what story Outlander has :lol: And how one copies existing plastic bits with GS...

Mengsk was a visionary at first, self-proclaimed protector of the human race...

Also, Arcturus is the name of the system where Human Alliance parliament takes (took) seat in Mass Effect universe, one of the first systems to be destroyed by the Reapers.

Welcome back to the game Outlander (good movie by the way).

In my opinion you are right on track with the feel of a good Templar force.

I have to agree that the newbies helmets just seem out of place and the torsos seem off scale.. though I do like your conversion from fantasy bits. They have a very 'Crusade' pattern feel to them.

Keep up the great work and let us see the details painted out on your dreads.

Mengsk was a visionary at first, self-proclaimed protector of the human race...

Also, Arcturus is the name of the system where Human Alliance parliament takes (took) seat in Mass Effect universe, one of the first systems to be destroyed by the Reapers.

And I forgot to mention, I picked it because it is one of the brightest stars in the sky, and being young, I wanted my character to be one of the purest (ie brightest) in the setting :lol: Awh.. Still like the name! Would make a good name for my EC, the examplar of the crusade..

Arcturus name comes from the star as I figure this is the location my crusade operates in. The tabards are just made from simple greenstuff molds, for the heads i used silicone putty to make the molds currently i have 4 head molds and i'm converting some chaos heads for some more variety. As for my neopyhtes I gonna try out some different things maybe some Cadian torsos and i want to add some detail to the heads they look a little to greek/roman for me atm. I'll get some more pics of my HQ up and swap out some better ones for my Dreads.

Edit: More HQ pics.

gallery_67658_7418_84848.jpg

gallery_67658_7418_104556.jpg

Same inspiration then <_<

The molds are impressive, especially for the details of the helmet visors.

May I suggest looking into shaven down some Corvus pattern SM helmets? They are already smaller, without a crest and the "beak" can be cut to resemble the angle, crusade-type, faceplate, or kept beaky but smaller to look like hounskull helmet. I need to get some pics of mine...

What are the Neophyte helmets from? I like the look, it's like a super basic beginner Initiate helmet.

As for molds, I've been wanting to try this stuff out but have models to buy first so it's low on the priority list right now.

Love the Champion and Chaplain, but the Marshal looks like a Dark Angel gone Space Wolf and I can't get into it. ;) I'm hoping it's just because he's not finished yet. ;)

Archived