scout armies in 6th

greatcrusade08

i played a friendly training game with my new scout army yesterday, it was 1500 points as follows:

captain

-bike, arty armour, fist, lightening claw 190

10 snipers

-telion, ML, cloaks 227

thunderfire 100

thunderfire 100

LSS with multi-melta 65

5 bolter scouts

-combi-melta 85

LSS with multi-melta 65

5 bolter scouts

-combi-melta 85

space marine bikes 4+1

-atttack bike with MM

-2 meltaguns

-power weapon 200

space marine bikes 5+1

-atttack bike with MM

-2 plasmaguns 225

10 bolter scouts

-HB 150

i playe against a mates eldar sam hain army

farseer on jetbike, with 5 man seer council (on jetbikes) mix of wapons, but can fire 3 heavy flamer type weapons.. built for giving themselves re-rolls on saves and cursing enemy for re-rolls to wound against them.. pretty nasty

eldrad and 10 dire avengers in wave serpent with holo fields

big blast flying tanky thing (very phallic gun)

2 x big squads of jetbikes, with warlock and dual cannon upgrades

as you can tell, this army is made for re-rolling lots of everything.

im still on the fence about how new rules affect the LSS, i do like the new rapid fire rules (allow firing at 24" even when moved.. so bolters in an open topped transport probably did more casualties than the MMs themselves.

i think if you can find melta/heavy weapons elsewhre in your lists the heavy flamer of HB/AC upgrades would be better for the lower BS of the storm.

tbh i quote fancy the dakka builds myself after my last game, but i digress.

anyhoo even though my opponent set up first, i figured id see how durable the storms were with a jink save and deployed them on the board anyway.

i was luxky enough to get the warlord traits which gave my whole army stealth ruins

my snipers already get 2+, but with stealth ruins and my thunderfire techys my bolter scouts also got a 2+ cover save and i was sitting pretty.

tbh i didnt get a chance to run anything out from a scout point of view as i stole initiative and my thunderfires destroyed the whole seer council (as they hadnt fortuned themselves for rerolls yet), even during night fighting thunderfires are now incredible and the fact you use thier T7 value for all shooting against the t-fire means i can put the techy out in front for a T7 2+save against all shooting!

anyway im digressing again, my opponent didnt even get in range of my thunderfires or bolter scouts instead i took the fight to what was left of his army and i was impressed by both the snipers and the bike units (im tempted to get more)

my captain destroyed both tanks with powerfists and the only other combat was his wounded farseer locked in combat with storm squads and eldrad getting owned at the end by the remnants of a biker squad.

im hoing we can geta remtach, ill let him go first to work out where the weaknesses are.. the strengths are definately the snipers and t-fires, my anvil units that have been with me since 2008, and now even better under 6th.

the units im not too sure on are the LSS builds (currently melta set-up) and scout bikes.. they will be my areas of interest and experimentation.

tbh i will be trying a dakka build for my next games,

LSS with HB

5 bolter scouts with HB

for 135 points not too shabby, of course im getting 10 bolter scouts and HB for 150, so ill see how it goes

That's a interesting match and you might do better with the HB in LSS.

Yet keep something anti-tank just in case you need you need to shoot down more tanks or whatever thing he might bring up like walkers.

Today I got told I can no longer play my Carcharodons Astra >< so I'm back to regular C:SM lol, this is what I get for making my scout (with luck) kill 10 grey hunters in 2 turns ><.

I will have to run with a generic Captain+libby now or a Libby and a chaplain.

• 4 weeks later...

Scout-y Question, particularly for our resident Scout Guru:

Just picked up a brand new LSS from eBay for £12 and already have a squad of 5 unbuilt Scouts to go with it; what the heck should I do to maximise its potential?

The only other Scouts I have are built with Bolters for cheap objective holding or, though the Gods may curse me, cheap boots on the ground.

Thoughts would be valued, as would cutting my hands off to stop me buying on eBay.

there are several options you can choose from.

first would be mass templates.

so heavy flamer on the storm, combi-flamer on the sergeant, maybe go with HB for hellfire shells (it can snap fire as normal shots) and one of the dudes gets a grenade lob too.

then theres the dakka builds, HB on storm and HB and bolters on chaps.

or the tank buster of MM and combi-melta, although dual plasma pistols is worth a try

I have plenty of static Melta on Infantry, as well as mobile Melta in the form of Attack Bikes so that last option seems like it might unbalance my whole army with so many units with Melta.

The Heavy Flamer option seems like it would work wonders against Guard - my friend is starting an Infantry force without even transport vehicles - but how well would it go against MEQs? I've never really used Flamers in 5th so have nothing to judge by.

The ultimate "Sit on the Fence" seems to be the Dakka option; lots of shots and fairly reliable againts both light and armoured troops, plus with some luck maybe able to glance a HP or two off a vehicle?

I have played with the dual Plasma Sgt. to great effect in 2 games so far. It was a nice punch over several turns. I was running him in a LSS with mixed scouts Shotguns and BP/CCW. I really felt the lack of power weapon in CC but the extra attack was nice. I think I'm gonna run him in the Storm with Bolters though so its a solid shooty throughout and try to avoid combat.

On a side note, I've been running my CC scouts as mixed with 2 Shotguns and 2 sets BP/CCWs with a Combi-Flamer/Melta & PW/PF Sgt. They are down right beasts! I'll fire the Combi, the BPs and the shotguns to tear out a few wounds pre-charge and then the ability to charge with all that has made them killer. I had changed all but 5 scouts to straight Bolters until I played 1 game with the 5 Mixed guys and it worked out so phenominal that I switched all my LSS squads back to the Mixed. So far so good. =)

The only problem I am facing right now, is that my 2500 point list is branching out to that second Force Org due to 7 Troops and 4 Fast Attack. I'm trying to figure out a way to screen it back into 1 Force Detatchment just in case I run into a tournement or opponent that allows only 1 Detatchment and I'm not sure how to do it.

Well, both times I used a different one. A Heavy Flamer vs Nids and a Multimelta vs Space marines. Both games were small as they were testers for the 6th rules. Had better luck with the flamer. However, I'm going to try out the HB to see how that treats me as well.

For a time I had hit a wall thinking my work of 6+ months on a scout army were wasted with 6th nerfing us like they did. Now, I think I'm recommitted as 10th Co. Is just too cool a concept to give it up. I too am hoping for Storms to be goven dedicated status next codex.

Why is it so much better when they are dedicated? Is it just the fact that you lose no FA slots?

Pretty much. FA has perhaps the most amount of competition as all our slots. Consider that there are normal Speeders, especially Typhoons and dual MM ones, MM ABs and the Stormtalon. That's a lot of competition, and I'd rate them all above the Storm. If the Storm were a dedicated transport though I don't lose any of the above, and gain a great little unit.

Certainly it does, but in 5th it just never impressed me a lot. And in 6th with all the changes to Scouts etc I just haven't taken it out again. I reckon it'll work better in pairs, like you run them GC08, but then that's two FA slots taken.

Just a quick note, the FAQ for the main rulebook says that Signums and Tellions VOE do not override the need to snap fire at flyers. Looks like its still 6's to hit.

Am hoping to get my own scout army of the ground at some point, will probly use Tellion as a counts as Naaman, as I don;t think he'll be in the next dex. Have found the sniper scouts I have to be pretty good so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Little scout question, if I may:

I see sniper scouts mostly using a RL instead of the HB as their heavy weapon. Why? For more universality?

Basically yes, its for better versatility.

On a silly note, for some reason my normal scouts seem to be pretty accurate shooting while my sarge almost never hits.... When he does hit, its usually a rending precision shot, I just find it ridiculous that the supposed teacher of the squad is not as good at his subject than his students :P

Few tip of the spear Ideas for anyone still looking at scout options in 40k

With the tweak to Combat squads... and Transports ... Could a split scout squad after receiving losses in both teams on the game board embark in the same Storm if... they had enough seats for the remaining members of both squads?

Its an interesting idea to play with because it would give you a way to pull back and save from losing Victory points in the game ... possible 2 turn front line fire team and have them fall back with combat tactics to a hidden storm behind solid cover... begin of the turn following pack up and return to friendly table edge.

Additionally my other idea is Mixing codex with codex. Scouts in blood angels as well Codex marines are nearly identically the same. It would give you an additional 2 scout squads (8 total) and... an additional fast attack slot GS08 always says we are short on...

Not sure on what the best fortifications would be be ... but playing your cards right ... 8 scout squads 3 Hq with a good playing field of codex's to run with. I would have to note ... the two from the adjacent codex would be unable to board storms... but in my thinking... They would get a War-bird (Stormraven) Which normal marines already lack... Just alone 4 scout bike teams could set up an army of ambush spots all over the board.

I think we may need to debate again if Bikers are more useful/Storms at the moment.

ADDED after work...(USA)

I think a big improvement in Scouts is ... with Plasma pistol brought out as an antitank weapon....

Little scout question, if I may:

I see sniper scouts mostly using a RL instead of the HB as their heavy weapon. Why? For more universality?

I take the ML when I take Telion, which is a lot. It's BS6 then, and very handy.

the hardest part of list building for me, is now what HQ to take

At the moment I been abusing the new psychs charts So i been spammming out Libby in all my Marine games.

Basic Combat tactics at the moment work amazing for 6th ed Marines I cant see it not working for scouts as well.

Small note here... Scouts that have gone to ground still get overwatch on a unit that would assault them.

I take the ML when I take Telion, which is a lot. It's BS6 then, and very handy.

Ah, this makes much more sense. ^^

Because… What for versatility if the HB fits the scout’s purpose better? Or doesn’t it at all? (Edit: Without Telion, I mean.)

Archived