scout armies in 6th

greatcrusade08

I lacked heavy fire power... I was playing gray knights Drago List ... He set down two rhino squads as well a single squad behind a defense line quad. The scout army was water over the board. 6 blocks of ruins and 5 objectives held inside them with a 6th out on a street.

I played large numbers to a small units, for example turn one his left flank was a single rhino, and the attached unit; in two turns 6 combat squads ripped down the rhino and removed the squad to rolling about 5 to 10 dice from each squad.

The unit dug in-behind a defense line was pelted with 4 bikes teams. It wasn't a fair fight but it was the only thing strong enough to break the quad guns toughness.

The game was just a spam of 4/4 bolter/sniper units and random Sargent set and heavy bolter/missles. I didn't plan on taking on Landraider nor av13, but I didn't need to worry about that type of threat. This edition doesn't allow you to score inside of a tank, so only a few units will hide in a raider and as far as i am caring... I'll chew the lighter transports away. Ignore the bones and Chew the meat...

I can't handle armies like daemons but its nice to feel that I can mess with a drago list at the moment... small left over units not set to gun down the other rhino took pop shots at the Drago unit. It wasn't effective shooting but.. humorous. I wounded a few of the front line units and had sniper fire wound the apothecary.

The return fire was just as mean ... I lost a libby hidden in a small combat squad, but I lost a squad... and a few pocket marines in only two turns. My most heavy losses were on the bikes racing to the front at the quad guns.

Not to sound sloppy on a post game report but ... it was a field test then a combative game. I was suppose to be a joke of an army against a list that will be at Beckycon in the near future. ...

aside... 80 scouts is alot of damn scouts. 92 counting bikers...

Perhaps you guys can clear something up for me: Since 5th edition, the Scouts have had their abilities toned down a little to represent the fact that they are, after all, fairly new to the Chapter, so they appear to be somewhat tougher/stronger Stormtroopers with ATSKNF - which in and of itself is not too bad. However, was it not previously the case that Sniper weapons improved your chances of hitting as well as always wounding on 4+? Now looking at the 6th edition there does not appear to be any improvement on "to hit rolls", so losing that AND having scouts at BS3 is something of a double-whammy, isn't it? Or was this change to Sniper rifles introduced in 5th, and I happened to miss it?

Really, I gotta say that my scouts are just as they used to be. I usually run something like this:

Scouts: 5 man: 2 w/ BP-CCW; 2 w/ Shotties; Sgt with PF

LSS: w/ MM

Zoom around, pick soft target to pin down, assault out and punch things. LSS zooms off to torch targets of opportunity and medium armour.

They're one of by best units, by far.

except that alpha strikes are impossible and the LSS can only scout move half of before.

then it can only move 6" if the guys inside want to shoot.

its taken quite a nerf tbh.

that being said if we get them as dedicated transports, they will gain the ability to infiltrate, giving us alot more versatility with them

*shrug* I don't shoot out of 'em anyway, and the MM is there just in case if I get a chance to use it. I use it as a delivery vehicle, where it performs admirably. I just used it tonight against some eldar, and the scouts were on time and on target. Spent almost the rest of the game keeping the Guardians from using their Starcannon (which was in range of my TDA's), whomping the Warlock in a challenge, and finally dying after my tactical squads were in place to finish off the last two Guardians left alive. LSS lost it's MM in first turn, but was able to draw fire after it dropped off the scouts, which was invaluable.

Nerf or no nerf, I still love 'em.

Fingers crossed, bro.

On a side note, your tactica (and my usual opponents damn Rangers, lol) have convinced me to build a squad of sniper scouts. Thanks for the great info, man.

On a side note, your tactica (and my usual opponents damn Rangers, lol) have convinced me to build a squad of sniper scouts. Thanks for the great info, man.

no worries, id take them whether they were a good choice or not (big fan of telion), thankfully 6th ed liked them a bit more than the ccw scouts B)

I played a game recently against C:SM (chaos). It was a massacre for the beloved vanilla marines. :)

I use a dakka LSS configuration and managed to tie up an obliterator squad for two turns before the LSS and scouts were fragged. (poor scouts). They did the job of distracting them, but it their equipment was ill suited for going against obliterator. Plus i forgot to use the melta-ccombi with the sergeant. D'oh!

One question. Still related to using scouts though scouts bikes....

If I were to use a cluster mines and mined a ruin where I deployed some long range support. Does the mine affect me when an enemy unit moves on to the ruin?

One question. Still related to using scouts though scouts bikes....

If I were to use a cluster mines and mined a ruin where I deployed some long range support. Does the mine affect me when an enemy unit moves on to the ruin?

Well, the wording is that the unit which moves into the terrain is hit ("the cluster mines inflict 2D6 hits upon the unfortunate unit once it has finished its move."). It doesn't say that all units in the terrain are hit, so I'd say you're safe.

The scout bikers evidently told your long range support where and where not to tread -_-

Think I'll be buying the models for 5 normal scouts.

Going to equip them with 4 bolters and a Heavy Bolter.

Anyone use these guys to any success? Should I give the sargeant a chainsword?

Think I'll be buying the models for 5 normal scouts.

Going to equip them with 4 bolters and a Heavy Bolter.

Anyone use these guys to any success? Should I give the sargeant a chainsword?

Well, how are you planning to use the squad? If you think they're going to be in close combat for a few turns then you could replace the sergeant's bolter with a chainsword. With that and his pistol he'll get an extra attack, but won't be much help when it comes to shooting. Not a great combination with the heavy bolter.

Personally I'd recommend replacing his boltgun with a combi-weapon. Then he keeps his pistol: worth a single shot before assaulting, and brings a special weapon to the squad, albeit a single-shot one.

• 2 months later...

The 4 bolter+ HB scout squad can be a decent mid field objective holder while you move in a tactical squad or use it to target other long range units like devastators, just infiltrate them close enough for it and let them shoot, they might not kill much but will force your opponent to deal with the nuisance or suffer a poison shot from HB or a hail of bolter fire.

Has anyone used CCW scouts as a "counter-charge" or for ambushing from cover other units that pass by (similar to suicide squad to wreck a vehicle/walker)?

• 2 weeks later...
The 4 bolter+ HB scout squad can be a decent mid field objective holder while you move in a tactical squad or use it to target other long range units like devastators, just infiltrate them close enough for it and let them shoot, they might not kill much but will force your opponent to deal with the nuisance or suffer a poison shot from HB or a hail of bolter fire.

Has anyone used CCW scouts as a "counter-charge" or for ambushing from cover other units that pass by (similar to suicide squad to wreck a vehicle/walker)?

I use them to act as a "blocker" for a 10 man bolter scout squad, makes it much harder for your opponent to lock your shooty squad down in CC and usually means they rain bolter shells down for most of the game.

bolter scouts are really growing on me in 6th edition.

the changes to rpaid fire, inclusion of overwatch and thier low cost makes them pretty decent

one thing ive always struggled with is what HQ to take with a scout army.

i think the generic choice for me is now going to be a librarian with prescience for rerolls to hit with either snipers or a thunderfire cannon.

adding an IC to the t-fire gives us another T7 model to take hits on its behalf, and re-rolls to hit with those templates can be devestating.

i think for ease of use ill probably keep him with telions snipers, more hits is more chances of precision shots and rends.

adding an IC to the t-fire gives us another T7 model to take hits on its behalf, and re-rolls to hit with those templates can be devestating.

i think for ease of use ill probably keep him with telions snipers, more hits is more chances of precision shots and rends.

Wouldn't adding another model to the Thunderfire/tech reduce the majority T to 4, and make it easier to wound the squad?

one thing ive always struggled with is what HQ to take with a scout army.

i think the generic choice for me is now going to be a librarian with prescience for rerolls to hit with either snipers or a thunderfire cannon.

hmm... as far as i know, vanilla marines dont get acces to the divination powers... so this doesnt seem doable iam araid :/

hmm... as far as i know, vanilla marines dont get acces to the divination powers... so this doesnt seem doable iam araid :/

ooh you are right, divination is the one form they dont have, which sucks as a BA chap i know uses divination, just another bonus BA has over C:SM then i guess.

Wouldn't adding another model to the Thunderfire/tech reduce the majority T to 4, and make it easier to wound the squad?

nope the toughness of the gun is always used and wounds are allocated to the closest models.

QUOTE (TJWyrm @ Dec 26 2012, 08:47 PM) *

nope the toughness of the gun is always used and wounds are allocated to the closest models.

too bad it isnt possible to add servitors to the unit for survivability, even if it was an expensive upgrade...

either way, back to scouts:

iam currently building a scout-heavy army, and i was wondering if all you scout-enthusiasts have some advice?... the models i currently have at hand for it is 2 dreads (one allready build as an ironclad), 10 bolter and 10 CCW scouts, ca 15 marines (iam allready building some as sternguard), 3 thunderfires, and bits/bobs for building whatever HQ i could want... also, ill be having 20 sniper scouts soon enough

so in terms of concrete questions, what HQ would do well with such a bunch? and is it even a good composition as a scout-heavy army to begin with?... should i use CC-scouts to keep the thunderfires safe, or would they be better off at the front as distractions, locking down shooty units or melta-bombing tanks?

:EDIT: by the way... the general idea is to pod down sterns and dreads up-close, close-range blasting valuable targets, staying up there as support for the scouts that will be infiltrating and just function as a blunt core for the army, staying cheap on upgrades to allow for more quantity than quality

Archived