6th Edition: Ten Game Challenge

Great thread. Good to hear your experience with the new edition.

QFT. Being in a position where I am unable to play any games of warhammer what-so-ever for the next few weeks, threads like yours are exactly what I need to stay in the "know how," so to speak :lol:

Well, in a surprising turn of events I managed to squeeze in THREE games today, meaning that hopefully the challenge will be finished by the end of the week. I'll do Game 6 tonight, and post the other two tomorrow.

Game 6

Mission: The Scouring

Deployment: Dawn of War

Up against Tau this time, a rare occurrence since there's only about 2 or 3 players in my area who use them with any regularity, and I'm one of them. His list had a LOT of Forge World stuff in it, so I wasn't overly happy, especially since he just deployed it anyway (if you're going to use FW stuff, its at least polite to ask). There were also a couple of really dodgy calls on his behalf, not saying he was outright cheating, but some of the stuff seemed very game-y and I'd be reluctant to use.

His list: 2 2-man broadside teams, a commander with no weapons who manned an Icarus lascannon on a defence line (its in the back right of his DZ, there's a broadside pretending to be said commander), 2 Tetras, 2 Remora Drone Fighters, 2 3 man crisis team (one with missiles and plasma, one with t-l missiles), a 6 man Fire Warrior squad, and a 6 man Fire Warrior squad in a Devilfish.

I won the roll off and elected to deploy first and go first, his commander rolled the trait that let him have night-fighting on turn 1 without needing to roll (fantastic...). The librarian tried out telepathy again, getting invisibility and puppet master.

gallery_27692_7462_176818.jpg

Deployment: the objectives are the black/white/red dice, there's one in the middle top, one in those rocks, one off to the right, and the other two are out of shot to the left. The blue blur in the top right are his tetras, there's a crisis team behind the rocks, and both broadside teams (one with attached commander) in the back right.

Turn 1 - AS: Everything pelts forwards towards the tau castle, with the exception of the combat squad in the rhino and the bikes, which chase tetras. The Death Company lands near the rock, and I use the pod to block line of sight. Shooting accomplishes absolutely nothing, so its over to the filthy Xenos.

Turn 1 - Tau: The Tetras move, but not far. They proceed to split fire with target locks (which I thought was very cheeky...new Tau FAQ says to ignore the target lock in the armoury, but he claimed that the vehicle ones still got it because its on a separate page to the one mentioned in the FAQ...), and didn't do much. Sum total of shooting saw a wrecked rhino on the left, a stunned one on the right with a solo hull point remaining, and a few assault marines die.

gallery_27692_7462_123707.jpg

End of Turn 1

Turn 2 - AS: The Baal refuses to turn up. Most of my stuff advances as far as possible, and my guns get rid of the Tetras. Don't want them hanging around for is longer than absolutely necessary. The DC get a crap move through cover roll, and are stuck in terrain. The librarian attempts to puppet master the broadside unit with the commander (as I have a 3/5 shot of possessing a railgun), but naturally I get a gun drone... My guns drop the crisis team though.

Turn 2 - Tau: He uses his positional relay to get the other crisis suits on. They land and obliterate my ML combat squad. Other shooting sees me lose my other rhino, and some death company. Very dull so far as there's very little on the other side of the board.

gallery_27692_7462_153317.jpg

Turn 2 - the Tau refuse to actually play the game, instead deciding to sit off the table and wait.

Turn 3 - AS: My Baal turns up on the right flank, and is promptly obliterated by the Icarus lascannon. Stupid Interceptor rule. I advance my assault squads right up to the broadsides, to have a go. Its a less than 4" charge range, so naturally, I fail it and everything's stuck in the open :lol:

Turn 3 - Tau: The broadside team absolutely obliterates the foot assault squad, leaving me with just the priest. Fortunately, my flying assault squad is spared the worst of the damage thanks to invisibility. A remora turns up and strafes my combat squad on the far left, whilst the crisis suits advance and shoot down some more marines.

gallery_27692_7462_2847.jpg

End of turn 3. Bad dice rolling has pretty much obliterated my army.

Turn 4 - AS: Bikers come out and shoot down a drone from the crisis team, prepping for the assault. They charge and get locked in combat. The assault squad finally charges the commanders unit, librarian's challenge is met by a drone (since as they have the same unit type as the individual they accompany, they're apparently characters too. Really don't agree that this should be the case, but its very irritating). Combat ended in a draw.

Turn 4 - Tau: Everything turns up now (remaining Remora, FWs, and FW in fish). My combat squad gets blown off their objective in the far left, and my death company get hosed. In combat, regular attacks manage to get through and kill a broadside, and the hammer sergeant rolls a 6, sniping out the commander. I win combat with the bikers vs crisis suits and run them down.

gallery_27692_7462_46883.jpg

End of turn 4. Sadly, I don't have any pictures from beyond this point in the game

Turn 5 - AS: The bikes high-tail it back behind the safety of the building to claim an objective. Assault squad does what its meant to and bins the broadsides, and takes that objective. I have two tactical marines still claiming the objective in the rock spires.

Turn 5 - Tau: Remoras fly around trying to kill things, but can't quite kill both marines in the rock spires (so the 4 objective is contested). He can't kill my bikers either, and has nothing near the assault marines. If the game were to end now, I have a 3 objective, he has one worth 2, he has first blood, I have slay the warlord, we both have a denial unit, and we both have killed 1 opposing fast attack choice, so I'd win by 1....

The dice roll is a 5, and on turn 6 I get blown off objectives with markerlight/seeker missile shenanigans.

Not too much I can really say here...I got really unlucky with some dice rolls, and failing the 4" charge was a real killer as that would have left me with another scoring unit. Foot AS would have taken the objective the jump AS did, and the jumpers would have gone for another one. Even so, I still managed to pull the game out of the fire, and if it had ended sooner I'd have walked away with the win. I have to say though, that I didn't really enjoy this game... deploying a buttload of forgeworld stuff without even asking your opponent first is uncool, and that was what really swung the game since it was all scoring, and I didn't have a clue what to do with it (also, Remora drone fighters...flyers with a 2+ stealth save, that's totally fair....). There was a slightly WAAC mentality as well, with the number of irritating loopholes he was using to gain edges. Just a very boring game to play, with most of his army not being on the table for the entire game, and all I really learned was that the assault squad in the rhino is still pants. Scouring is waaaay more complicated a mission than it needs to be, especially compared to the other ones in the book. Having 6 objectives, all doing different things, and all being worth different numbers of VPs just means you have too much to be keeping in mind at any given time.

Anyway, that's all for tonight - I'll be back tomorrow with Games 7 and 8 against Space Wolves and Orks!

That sucked he threw down forge world stuff. Any thing that i have ever seen from there is not balanced imo. Against a reg tau list i think things may have been better for you , but those boadsides behind the aegis are a hard unit to take down.

I have had something simliar happen to me in the past when my opponent was setting up with his deployment and said that he had a dreadnought drop pod in reserves with a chaplain dreadnought. I commented that I would not allow FW models to be used and he thought I was kidding and continued to deploy. I polite thanked him for the game and packed up my stuff. Someone should devulge this information from the beginning. If they refuse to play a standard game then I would say thank them for the game and polite decline to play.

-Zedrenael

Fight Like Hell, Play Like a Gentleman

I don't generally have a problem playing against FW stuff but I appreciate it if the opponents at least ask first, its only polite. In retrospect, it was only a real issue because the scouring made all his FW stuff scoring in addition to being a pain to take down, any other mission wouldn't have gone that way. Ah well.

Game 7

Mission: The Relic (last time, I promise. Can't stop rolling 6s).

Deployment: Vanguard Strike

The Space Wolf player from Game 4 is back, with a tweaked list. Apparently the last one suffered from a lack of manoeuvrability, and having two rune priests was too expensive. He's got 3 wolf guard squads in rhinos, one on foot with a terminator, 3 longfang squads with missiles, and a pair of plasma cannons in one, and a lone wolf with storm shield and chainfist in addition to the Divination rune priest, who this time got re-roll saves and re-roll hits. My librarian took Biomancy and got Iron arm and Warp Speed again (lets see how they do against an army that ISN'T full of 2+ saves), and Master of the Vanguard for the extra run dice. I won the roll and went first (very important in Relic), and my opponent failed to seize the initiative. The foot assault squad succumbed to the red thirst.

gallery_27692_7462_441021.jpg

Deployment. Vanguard strike is fiddly, and the Baal's scouted.

Turn 1 - AS: The death company land pretty much on the centre line and deploy out, using their run move to get themselves between the Space Wolves and the Relic. Aside from the devastators who stay put, everything else charges forwards, the tacticals jumping out of their rhino and grabbing the Relic. The devastators wreck the SW rhino on the far left for first blood, and the Baal chews up the rear armour of the one on the right. I get a few guys in the explosions, including a longfang, but don't pin either squad. The assault rhino shoves itself into his lines to be a nuisance. Shooting from the bikes picks off the meltagunner that's come out of the wrecked rhino nearest the Baal, as its the nearest model.

Turn 1 - SW: His remaining rhino attempts to move and promptly immobilises itself on terrain. Angels Sanguine now have pretty much total dominance over movement, and I'll be able to use speed to my advantage. Most squads advance, with the lone wolf running around my rhino. Shooting sees the assault rhino wrecked, a hull point gone from the Baal, and 4 death company dead. No assaults at this stage.

gallery_27692_7462_512702.jpg

End of turn 1. The plan now is to just get the rest of my army between his army and the unit with the relic. Since I've got First Blood, I'm guaranteed the win if I can hang on to it.

Turn 2 - AS. The librarian tries his powers, and gets warp speed through. Iron arm is either failed or shut down, I forget which. The tacticals hop back into their rhino, and the assault squads both pick a grey hunter target...the regular squad goes for a normal GH unit, and the foot squad goes for the hard one with terminator and rune priest. The Baal sneaks across for a couple of sneaky shots at the nearest unit, as the bikes move in. Death company chase the lone wolf to slow him down. Shooting sees a few SWs drop, but nothing major, and the rhino moves back towards my lines. One more turn will see it out of sight behind the building the devastators are perched on top of. Assaults sees the regular assault squad hit the grey hunters, librarian kills several but the assault squad kills none. The grey hunters hold. The other combats see the bikes drawing with the hunters, and the fearless assault marines staying in combat with the rune priests unit. The death company can't scratch the wolf, but he only kills two. With all the combats blocking line of sight, there's not much that can see my rhino to shoot it.

Turn 2 - SW. The grey hunters pop out of their rhino and start the slog through terrain, trying to catch up to my rhino. Shooting is mostly focussed on said rhino, but he only manages to get rid of two hull points. In combat, the bikers stick around, the fearless assault marines lose but hold, the last DC dies without doing any damage (stupid storm shield), and the assault marines win their combat and go for some longfangs. Unfortunately, I've lost my hammer thanks to accepting a challenge from the fist - I didn't want my librarian fluffing his attacks and dying, which he's prone to doing at the most inopportune moments.

gallery_27692_7462_441006.jpg

End of turn 2. I've got a colossal dead pile from chucking my entire army into the meat grinder, but its doing its purpose and I have the relic, and he aint getting near it any time soon.

Turn 3 - AS: The Baal moves back and shoots down some of the grey hunters slogging it across the table. The devastators add some firepower, and the resulting shooting sees them reduced to 4 models, but they pass morale. The librarian fails one power on an 11, and gets the other one shut down. Despite this, they chuck themselves into combat with the longfangs anyway. The rhino scoots out of sight behind the ruins, all I have to do is keep it safe. In combat, the bikes stick around -again-, as do the fearless assault marines. I break the longfangs, but catch them with a sweeping advance.

Turn 3 - SW: The longfangs finally take exception to the Baal and wreck it. Other shooting is uneventful. The grey hunters are getting ever closer, but are still a good two turns away from being threatening. The lone wolf gets right up close to the devvies. In combat, the assault squad finishes off its opponents, and consolidates. The bikers take the grey hunters down to the last man, and the fearless assault squad with the priest working overtime stays as a tarpit, with only the priest remaining.

gallery_27692_7462_145880.jpg

End of turn 3. Yes, most of my army is dead. No, I don't care :D

Turn 4 - AS: The assault squad charges and beats up the longfangs. Devastators gun down 3 of the 4 grey hunters, and the bikes finally kill the last grey hunter. My priest accepts the challenge from the terminator, who promptly fluffs his attacks, leaving me sat there for at least one more round. The rhino moves even further away, and is still invisible.

Turn 4 - SW: The lone wolf charges my devastators. Longfangs shoot my bikes dead, and the grey hunters kill my priest. I stay in combat with the longfangs. The sergeant challenges the lone wolf, just to slow him down.

gallery_27692_7462_552288.jpg

End of turn 4. The relic is still playing peekaboo.

Turn 5 - AS: No shooting, and still not night time. The rhino shifts itself away from the lone wolf, just in case. In combat, my assault marines kill the longfangs and consolidate behind the quad gun so they can't be longfanged into oblivion. The lone wolf kills a devastator.

Turn 5 - SW: My assault squad and librarian gets shot and assaulted into oblivion. Lone wolf kills another devastator. We roll for turn 6, and get it.

gallery_27692_7462_20252.jpg

End of turn 5. A bloody game has left very few models.

Turn 6 - AS: Night falls. The Rhino legs it up behind the green ruins, well out of sight and out of range of the longfangs. My drop pod remembers it has a storm bolter and kills the last grey hunter out of spite. In combat the lone wolf finally finishes off the devastators, but there's no way anything can catch the relic before the end of the game so he picks up a consolation linebreaker point.. Angels Sanguine Victory, 4 VPs to 2.

gallery_27692_7462_328191.jpg

End of the game.

Overall thoughts: Relic is really not a balanced mission. First turn is really important, as is having a fast army, and if you have a fast army going first its practically auto-win. I just snagged it on turn 1 and then used the entire rest of my army as speed bumps to keep it safe. On top of that, the fact that you can only pick up the relic at the end of the movement phase means that armies going second have a hard time getting it, as even if they kill the carrier then the first player has the first opportunity to pick it back up. Vanguard Strike as a deployment is interesting, can be quite complicated and you'll have trouble making things fit. Biomancy was amazing this time round, definitely cements itself as number 2 choice for spell lore, behind divination. The foot assault squad is still rubbish. Bikers are quite a good tarpit...in subsequent rounds of combat the comparatively few attacks coming back at them, combined with high toughness, means that they're liable to hold MEQs up for a long time. Sergeants can be sacrificed to take down power weapons/fists that would otherwise cause problems.

That sucked he threw down forge world stuff. Any thing that i have ever seen from there is not balanced imo. Against a reg tau list i think things may have been better for you , but those boadsides behind the aegis are a hard unit to take down.

It really sucks when the Tau players don't bend over like they should. I mean doesn't this guy know he is not allowed to win because he chose a bad codex! :)

Forgeworld stuff is no more unbalanced than some of the regular codexes. Most is grossly over-pointed for what you get and over-priced.

Over 1400 views and so few replies...come on guys, gimme something to work with here!

Game 8

Mission: Big Guns Never Tire

Deployment: Dawn of War

First time facing a proper horde army. Lots of units of boyz in trukks, one warboss, ghazkull, boomgun, battlewagon, a unit of lootaz and a unit of stormboyz. And a Deffkopta which was kept in reserve. My librarian went back to Divination, getting re-roll saves and re-roll misses. Can't remember what warlord trait Ghaz got, but my Librarian got Master of the Vanguard (which he rolls so often I'm considering just writing it onto my list). I won the roll and elected to take first turn, and it was night for the first turn. The Baal scouts a little bit, to get close to the boomgun.

gallery_27692_7462_46597.jpg

Turn 1 - AS: Death company land near the lootas. Everything advances except for the devs and ML combat squad. The tacs hop out to get a melta pot shot at the battlewagon. Bikes take cover behind the rocks. Shooting sees the Baal, well within night-fight range, rip apart a boomgun, and the devastators sneak a missile through the darkness to wreck a trukk with the warboss in it. Many boys die.

Turn 1 - Orks: The lootas move a little, and the boyz and stormboyz start repositioning themselves. Shooting gets rid of a tactical marine, and in assault the stormboyz make short work of my Baal. Ah well, its done its job.

gallery_27692_7462_312451.jpg - end of turn 1. Note the comparative size of the dead piles...

Turn 2 - AS: The rhino immobilises itself, but the assault squad get out and objective camp. The flying assault squad go to have a go at the stormboyz, the bikers head for the lootas, and the DC head for the warboss' mob. Shooting wrecks another trukk, and the boyz pile out. In combat, the bikes murder the lootas, the assault marines beat up the stormboyz, who hold, and the death company take down the boyz with warboss. Holy cow, are we brutal against lightly armoured stuff.

Turn 2 - Orks: Ghaz pops out and does the Ghazzy thing of going after the hardest thing on the table (the death company). The deffkopta pops out and takes down the drop pod. All the combats go the BA way, except for the death company who are mostly cut down by Ghazkull. (one guy left).

gallery_27692_7462_148090.jpg

End of turn 2. What happens when two close combat armies clash, and one's wearing power armour...

Turn 3 - AS: Mostly just consolidating my position. The bikes move away to get the deffkopta, and the assault squad heads towards the only remaining boyz on the table. In combat, Ghaz finishes off the DC and starts plodding towards me, and the bikers bin the deffkopta.

Turn 3 - Orks: The boyz mob that remains goes after and kills my Devastators on the objective. Not much else he can really do...Ghaz Waaagh's but doesn't get anywhere with it.

gallery_27692_7462_301017.jpg

End of turn 3. Not looking good for the Orks, with that small mob, the battlewagon, and Ghaz being all that's left.

The rest of the game was fairly uneventful...the assault squad charged and killed the orks, and we called it there since there wasn't really much he could do (Ghaz is hard, but he's not -THAT- hard).

Lessons: Death Company have a fire magnet painted on them the size of Baal, once an opponent knows what they're capable of they become a "must kill" target. Orks lost a lot, with transports being really easy to kill, and the fact that stormboyz and kommandos not being able to assault the turn they arrive (which was how my opponent normally ran them...the kommandos got dropped for Ghaz and the boomgun). The Baal absolutely rocks at taking down light vehicles. Paradoxically, Divination probably wasn't the best choice for this game as Orks would die in droves anyway. The furious charge nerf was bad for us, but worse for the poor Greenskins...I've faced this player before, but its never been this one sided.

That's all for now - 2 games left until I come out with my final thoughts. I'll try and play kill points for at least one of the two remaining games as its the only one I've not played yet, and I definitely won't be playing Relic any more. I'll also start being a bit pickier with my opponents, and I won't play GK or SW again since I've gone against them twice each now, and I want to keep things as different as possible. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Over 1400 views and so few replies...come on guys, gimme something to work with here!

That's all for now - 2 games left until I come out with my final thoughts. I'll try and play kill points for at least one of the two remaining games as its the only one I've not played yet, and I definitely won't be playing Relic any more. I'll also start being a bit pickier with my opponents, and I won't play GK or SW again since I've gone against them twice each now, and I want to keep things as different as possible. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Welcome to my world :P :P

Will you change up your list at all for the last two games?

May be fun :D Since you've had 8 with the same?

Also - the FC nerf didnt affect the greenskins at all - theyre init2. Going to init3 wouldnt matter.

Orks did take a hit with storm boyz and kommandos but they did pick up precision shot with Nobz squads which os very deadly whrn twin-linked on bikes.

I like your reports a lot and they definitely gave me things to think about. Have you thought about drawing powers from multiple lores in one game?

-DA

@Mort - it does against initiative 2 or 3 armies. They're now going slower than guardsmen, and at the same time as Tau and other Orks (admittedly the Tau one should never be in doubt, but why give them the opportunity to kill some on the way). I am considering swapping stuff for the last two games, maybe dropping the stuff I've been unimpressed with and trying out some other stuff (Sanguinary Guard and Dante in, for example).

@DA - Yes, I had...I think I'll do that for the last ones rather than use the BA powers. Getting a mix is something I keep meaning to do, and then keep forgetting to do.

The Baal absolutely rocks at taking down light vehicles

I assume it runs with the TL AssCans?

And how would you say the Rhino-taxied Tacs do? I read a convincing post somewhere recommending Rhino-Tacs as a fast moving objective holder but I'm curious to know how you like them.

Also do you find ML Devs useful enough to continue using them nowadays?

Thanks! <_<

You asked for requests: I think either crons or dark eldar would be super informative. Crons, because a number of people I've read about and know around here are having difficulty with them, and DE because they are also a fast assault army. And i play them, too, but that's coincidental <_<

In the same vein, I found your tau battle very informative, and I'm sorry about the FW shenanigans. As a sometimes Tau player, that guy gave the little grey men a bad name.

And I'd bet there are so few responses because you're covering everything so well!

It seems that speed is the best thing you ca have in most of the new objective games. It would be interesting to see BA vs. Eldar/DE.

With all the other changes, do you find your shooty or assaulty infantry more useful now compared to 5th?

Great stuff and good reads!

So you seem to really like the DC even thought they get shot to hell as soon as they land first turn. Would they be better hopping around from cover to cover using jump packs for you? Or do you like the giant fire magnet that has to be dealt with?

Do you have a second pod? How about adding a DC dread in there to try out. Or putting the tac squad in the drop pod instead of the DC.

Looking forward to more!

And now I see the error of my ways :)

@Brother Lorenzo: Yep, its a full-on Dakka Baal, twin-linked assault cannon and heavy bolter sponsons. Good for both light tanks and infantry hosing, and its scoring 1/6th of the time. Hammer and Anvil is a really good time to outflank it, cos no matter which side it comes on it will be in range of something you want to hose, unless they take the ballsy chance of hugging a table edge and hoping you get the 1 in 3 chance of coming on on the other one. The rhino taxied tacs are really good; I used them in 5th and I still use them now. They're really solid, especially with the increase in Rapid Fire range (move 6, disembark 6, can still shoot 24" away, that's a nice threat range). Besides, if the rest of the force is heading forwards to smash face, something needs to sit back and babysit objectives. The ML dev squad is still as solid as ever... its a toss up between these guys and plasma cannons for which is more effective against a general field, and I think that when we get Skyfire missiles (we've got to get them sooner or later) they'll be even better. Their job is to drop tanks, and then just litter units with templates. I may try a mixed unit with 2 ML and 2 Plasma at some point.

@Brightguy: Vanguard Strike is fiddly because you have to be more than 12" away from a line done diagonally across the table. This means that 1), you have to get a line across, which isn't always easy with terrain and stuff, and 2), there's a point where you won't be able to deploy to the side of because you won't fit, which tends to leave you very bunched up in the middle. Keeping table quarters would probably have worked better and had the same overall effect.

@Ransom: Yes, I tried that one against the broadsides (that was the charge I failed to leave me stuck in the open)...I'd do it against things we're likely to absolutely spank in CC anyway, so won't need the bonus attack. Wouldn't try it with Death Company though, as we'd lose 2 attacks rather than just 1, and that's what's making them really brutal.

@Kabal: Ask and ye shall receive! I'll try and make sure to get at least one game in against either 'crons or DE, if we're lucky I'll get both as games 9 and 10.

@terminatorAM: I've already had a game against Eldar (game 2, iirc), and they were fast enough to make me seem slow...I'm terrified of what DE will throw at me! Regular infantry, I'm finding shooty better. The tactical squad is doing much better than the assault squad with a rhino-taxi, so much so that the latter has become a glorified priest-bunker. They've taken a hit, but the shooty ones have got better. Jump infantry is massively improved, especially with a slightly larger average charge range than the guaranteed charge range of 5th, and hammer of wrath attacks. That being said, random charges really do enjoy biting you in the backside at the most inopportune moment, so that's something to watch out for.

@Red Fury: I didn't like the DC initially, but they're starting to grow on me. In some games they've been absolutely amazing (game 3 against the Space Wolves, and both games against Grey Knights), but in some games they've done literally nothing (against Tau) or been obliterated turn 1 (game 1 against Chaos). I don't think they're something I'd use in many of my games, I think the jump packs would probably be better as it makes them more manoeuvrable after they land. I do indeed have another drop pod, but George (my Furioso...full name's Furious George) has a tendency towards spectacularly underperforming, on his last outing killing 3 scouts, 5 orks and 6 guardians across a 3 game tournament, whenever I take him out to play. Its even more of a fire magnet than the death company... A podded tac squad could be useful, I used to use podded Sternguard (who I miss a LOT, they got cut to make space for the DC and the Librarian's upgrade) and they lay down a lot of shooty death, so a tac squad could be worth a look. The issue there would be manoeuvrability post-landing, in case they need to get somewhere else.

@John_f: Thanks! ;)

@eyes: Not entirely sure what this is doing here, but hope you win :)

Entertaining, useful stuff!

It's stuff like this that allows people who don't get a lot of regular games to get a much better understanding of the new rules.

Thanks for your efforts!

Do you think that the DC NEED a transport? I have 15 and a chaplain (when I play them) and they march down the middle with boltguns. They do take a lot of fire, but generally get 2-3 turns of shooting first (and they generally still get to fight in melee, and win when they get the charge). Mine have always made it across the board to hand to hand. I am thinking they are durable enough to not need transport to make them worthwhile, but I am wondering if it is just my local meta.

-edit

BTW, if it makes a difference, all the games I was referring to where 1500 points, but I am about to go to 2k.

Admetus, you mentioned not getting too much attention, but I've been following in the shadows.

I greatly appreciate what you're undertaking by allowing us all a glimpse into BA in 6th edition with a variety of our units. This is of great boon to folks like me who find themselves unable to fit time for games in due to busy schedules, that and my BA are down in CT while I live in VT.

So thank you very much. The only thing I can even suggest is that throwing down points for a barebones Chaplain to go with your DC would exponentially increase their effectiveness with the re-rolls. If you can fit it that is, other than that, well balanced, and fun.

Archived