Army Painter Warpaints review

Razblood

Hi guys,

I figured that it was about time I got around to doing this as I have had the set for a while now and used it quite a bit including on my entry for a painting comp, which can be found here - Titan Games Facebook Page (Its the Ork Warboss a bit of the way down ;) ).

Anyway I will go through each colour and try to give comparisons to GW versions (Old GW mind you, not tried out many of the new paints).

These paints come in dropper bottles like the Vallejo range, which makes them very economical (I have 15ml bottles, but they come as 18ml standard) also the colours match to the old GW range pretty well, with some colours acting as midtones for some of the GW stuff. Also can be used straight from the bottle, but I would still thin them if you want the best coat.

So without further ado - Starter set paints:

White - Less gritty than Skull White, thins well, decent coverage.

Black - It's Black, nice smooth coverage, thins very well.

Red - Comparable to Blood Red, smooth application, decent coverage.

Blue - Comparable to Enchanted Blue, thins well, great coverage, blends well with GW blues.

Yellow - A midtone between Sunburst & Golden Yellow, decent coverage for a Yellow, very vibrant.

Green - A midtone between Snot Green & Goblin Green with characteristics of both, excellent coverage, blends very well with GW Greens, one of my favs.

Brown - A midtone between Snakebite Leather and Bestial Brown, nice coverage.

Flesh - This is pretty much identical to GW Bronzed Flesh and can be used in pretty much the same manner.

Metal - Comparable to Chainmail although a little lighter, very fine pigment, smooth application, one of the best metals I've ever used!

Gold - Very similar to old GW 18ml Burnished Gold, has to be shaken a lot to bind, very fine pigment, quite garish.

Army Painter Tones - 18ml Bottles:

Soft - Light Sepia colour, brings a lot of warmth to Fleshtones/Browns/Yellows.

Strong - = Devlan Mud, great for pretty much anything.

Dark - = Badab Black!

Thats pretty much what I have in the Army Painter range, but I will be expanding it when funds allow as these are great paints and are very reasonably priced.

Hope this proves useful to anyone looking at trying a new set of colours and I can recommend the Paint Sets, I have two of the older ones, which came with a small can of Spray Primer and a Drybrush as well as the usual nylon starter brush.

As far as I know the new sets come with Sable brushes and 18ml bottles, but no Spray Primer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Great insight.

I would like to add that they have a really good series of primers, that come in twenty (20!!) different colours.

Currently I am experimenting with these to make my Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons. (Red-Gold armour and Purple on some details)

So in my case I am experimenting with Dragon Red (very dark red) and Pure Red. Both need different approach to do the final details and both are really good that the jury is still out to make a final decision.

Also their Uniform Grey primer & a single layer of Citadel Wash Blue (or Green on some models) , build up 200 pieces Lizardmen army in a single day that looks really good on table.

Who said we need 10 layers of colour to make models looking good? ;)

Archived